NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

9 hours ago, upperV03 said:

More looks at some of the unreleased uniforms here:

And another look at the back of the purple Lakers uniform with the solid yellow NOB's:

Shoenerd alert: Lonzo's wearing BBB ZO2s.

Every time I see the shorts or the rear arm piping, I get annoyed. Nike should be design templates around the team, not the other way around.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, pepis21 said:

Kings armtrims are interesting mess, at photo on above you can see that trims are ending before side stripes, here trims are longer and covers side stripes:

DG9Uap2WsAYVAA9.jpg

Which version is correct?

I'd like to think it's the look from today since the earlier version was taken who knows how long ago for the Nike release.

Also, this caption made me laugh and won't help with the "Nuggets new uniforms make them look like the Pacers" narrative

http://www.gettyimages.com/license/830475804

TARRYTOWN, NY - AUGUST 11: T.J. Leaf #20 of the Indiana Pacers poses for a photo during the 2017 NBA Rookie Shoot on August 11, 2017 at the Madison Square Garden Training Center in Tarrytown, New York. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and/or using this Photograph, user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. Mandatory Copyright Notice: Copyright 2017 NBAE (Photo by Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE via Getty Images)

I absolutely love Orlando with more pinstripes. Never liked their current set with less stripes. They were too spaced out and you didn't quite get the effect that they were proper pinstripes. The Nike set have a much more classic 1990s Magic feel with more pinstripes, even if the design is somewhat more modern.

1 minute ago, ShinyHubCaps said:

I'm tardy to the party... I stopped following NBA uniforms since they decided to go forward with ads...

BUT, I have to ask for clarification:  what are these Icon, Association, Community, and Athlete-Minded?

It's just the new Nike fancy way of saying Home, Road, and Alternate uniforms.

Association = Home

Icon = Road

Community and Athlete-Minded are Alternates

I've been thinking and I'm kinda surprised that with the league getting rid of 'home' and 'away', that no team has released two very different designs for their 'Association' and 'Icon' jerseys.  I guess it will be because the other two jerseys yet to be released will be the vastly different ones.

2 hours ago, ShinyHubCaps said:

I'm tardy to the party... I stopped following NBA uniforms since they decided to go forward with ads...

BUT, I have to ask for clarification:  what are these Icon, Association, Community, and Athlete-Minded?

2 hours ago, deltarich87 said:

It's just the new Nike fancy way of saying Home, Road, and Alternate uniforms.

Association = Home

Icon = Road

Community and Athlete-Minded are Alternates

Not quite. Nike has gotten rid of home and road designations. New uniform guidelines work like this:

The home team in a match-up can choose any one (1) of their four (4) uniforms- which are labeled "Association", "Icon, Community", and "Athlete's Mindset"- to wear; and the opposing (road) team must choose a contrasting uniform from their set of four (4). Uniforms are designated as follows:

(Approximation of Nike press release regarding uniform rotation - my nikespeak is nowhere near as polished.)

Association: Celebrates the tradition of the all-white uniform in the NBA which "unifies the league" seeing as every team has one. - This is every team's white uniform (previously known as Home uniform)

Icon: The counter of the "Association" uniform, the "Icon" uniform is meant to celebrate a team's individuality as a brand. - This is every team's colored uniform (previously known as Road uniform)

*Community: (Also referred to as Pride, or City Pride, etc.) Team uniform design that draws inspiration from the community surrounding and supporting the team. - Can be white or colored. (previously known as Alternate uniform)

*Athlete's Mindset: (Also referred to as Athlete, Mindset, etc.) Team uniform design that is inspired by players or teams of years past or present. - Can be colored or white. Many team are using fauxback uniform combining both modern and retro elements from the team's history. (previously known as Alternate uniform or Hardwood Classic uniform)

*Not sure if every team has both a "Community" and an "Athlete's Mindset" uniform, but they all have at least one of the two.

Let's take all the personality that made the Suns jerseys great and arch and add bevel to the Suns hideous wordmark! At least they took the black away from the jersey but here lies a huge problem: The Suns' primary logo is ALL BLACK!

18 minutes ago, Power_Ranger_Rick said:

Not quite. Nike has gotten rid of home and road designations. New uniform guidelines work like this:

The home team in a match-up can choose any one (1) of their four (4) uniforms- which are labeled "Association", "Icon, Community", and "Athlete's Mindset"- to wear; and the opposing (road) team must choose a contrasting uniform from their set of four (4). Uniforms are designated as follows:

(Approximation of Nike press release regarding uniform rotation - my nikespeak is nowhere near as polished.)

Association: Celebrates the tradition of the all-white uniform in the NBA which "unifies the league" seeing as every team has one. - This is every team's white uniform (previously known as Home uniform)

Icon: The counter of the "Association" uniform, the "Icon" uniform is meant to celebrate a team's individuality as a brand. - This is every team's colored uniform (previously known as Road uniform)

*Community: (Also referred to as Pride, or City Pride, etc.) Team uniform design that draws inspiration from the community surrounding and supporting the team. - Can be white or colored. (previously known as Alternate uniform)

*Athlete's Mindset: (Also referred to as Athlete, Mindset, etc.) Team uniform design that is inspired by players or teams of years past or present. - Can be colored or white. Many team are using fauxback uniform combining both modern and retro elements from the team's history. (previously known as Alternate uniform or Hardwood Classic uniform)

*Not sure if every team has both a "Community" and an "Athlete's Mindset" uniform, but they all have at least one of the two.

Let's not forget the Lakers purple is called the "Statement"

ATL

16 hours ago, upperV03 said:

More looks at some of the unreleased uniforms here:

I didnt realize this before but there are only a few teams in the league now with rounded collars.  Knicks and Celtics stand out in this photo

19 hours ago, colortv said:

DG9GE7yXYAERfVy.jpg:large

ICON JERSEYS Color Summary:

1 team in gray = Hawks

1 team in yellow (or gold) = Lakers (because their purple one is a "statement" whatever that is)

1 team in teal = Hornets

2 teams in green = Celtics and Bucks

2 teams in purple = Suns and Kings

4 teams in black = Spurs, Nets, Blazers and Heat

5 teams in red = Rockets, Raptors, Cavaliers, Bulls and Wizards

6 teams in dark (or navy) blue = Nuggets, Pacers, Grizzlies, Timberwolves, Jazz and Pelicans

8 teams in blue = Knicks, Clippers, Sixers, Magic, Mavericks, Warriors, Thunder and Pistons

Too many shades of blue in my opinion.

spacer.png

On 8/10/2017 at 8:05 PM, DG_Now said:

It would appear you're wrong. Welcome to the present old man.

Just because something is there doesn’t mean it belongs.

18 hours ago, Ark said:

The Lakers aren't wearing yellow at home and purple on the road anymore?

Again, they can wear whatever they want, wherever they want so long as there’s sufficient contrast with the opponent. I wouldn’t expect much to change at home, but I suspect they’ll be forced to wear white or gold more often on the road due to more teams opting to wear a colored uniform at home.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I really don't understand why people are mourning the loss of the Suns' previous uniform set. IMO, it was the worst in the entire league. I can't decide which element looked ugliest together: the half-assed streaking lines across the front of the jersey, the sublimated streaking lines in the wordmarks, the butt stripe (I know the new uniforms have one as well, but it's actually integrated into the design), or the overly detailed suns/wings on the shorts that didn't match any other aspect of their identity. Some of these elements could have looked nice on their own in a different context, but together, they didn't work at all. Then there was the jumbled mess that was their color scheme. You can tell they scrambled to change the road uniform from black to purple at the last minute to appease angry fans, because purple didn't appear anywhere else in their whole identity.

Their new look isn't perfect, but at least there's visual consistency. It actually looks like there was a purpose to the design, instead of a design-by-committee mess that tried to please everyone at once.

Hopefully over the next few years, the Raptors, Wolves, Rockets, Thunder and Mavs will take a cue from the Suns and change their butt-ugly looks. Especially the Mavs, who have sorely needed a change for 16 years now.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived