New Helmet enters the NFL

Somewhat off topic: Does anybody know if Vicis has plans on making helmets for hockey, lacrosse and motorsports with this shock absorption feature?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, WavePunter said:

Nothing should ever "push" elements around.. You treat vent holes, ear holes, snaps, rivets, flex panels, and any other feature like it's not even there.. The first thing I would do when I got my hands on a Vicis helmet is take off the facemask, chin strap, and any connection hardware, and apply the decal exactly where it normally would go.. In which case, it should present very few issues, if any.. If the result suggests you make one or two tiny adjustments, so be it.. But they shouldn't be noticeable. You can put hardware through the decal if need be, or trim the decal where it overlaps a vent hole, etc.. A helmet's design really shouldn't affect decal placement to any significant degree

First off, I tip my hat to the work you guys do. It's an art form all to it's own. The thing is for me, I cringe when I see a decal that is cut for holes, etc.

I know that you can't control that. You guys make those look good considering  the different styles of helmets that you work with.

As to the original thought, I'm just curious to see what the decals do after repeated compression from that crumple zone.

1 hour ago, neo_prankster said:

Do you guys think teams like the Rams, Bengals and Chargers will be able to find a way to retain their current designs with this new model?

they're probably in better shape. i believe both of those teams paint their art onto the helmet

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

11 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

they're probably in better shape. i believe both of those teams paint their art onto the helmet

The only one of those teams that has a painted design rather than decals is the Bengals, actually. Both the Chargers and Rams just use decals for the bolts and horns, respectively.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

31 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

He'll, they might be worse. Decals can at least stretch. The paint on those shells is going to be shatter city come November in northern climates I'd imagine.

Again, I don't see any issues with the new helmets and decals.. Paint might produce more problems due to the hardening agents in some of the recipes creating brittle paint that could crack, but I see absolutely zero potential issues with decals

19 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Well, good thing we don't have any more concussions today. 

I eagerly anticipate looking back on these new "solutions" with the same sad disdain. 

Any helmet manufacturer promising the elimination of concussions is kidding themselves, there's no 100% way to prevent concussions in a violent sport like football. Advances in medical technology, along with better equipment, will help reduce the number. Also, coaches at all levels need to be smarter about pulling players out of games when the outcome has already been decided. Baseline tests have to improve as well.

We'll be able to lower the number of concussions, but everyone needs to understand violence is the essence of football. And players who volunteer to play this game at the pro level will pay a price later, even if the brain isn't involved. The problem isn't the insurmountable one implied by bloggers on the internet.

Just now, Gold Pinstripes said:

We'll be able to lower the number of concussions, but everyone needs to understand violence is the essence of football. And players who volunteer to play this game at the pro level will pay a price later, even if the brain isn't involved. The problem isn't the insurmountable one implied by bloggers on the internet.

No, it's not.  

Except that the league and manufacturers are denying the problem and selling bogus cures.  Until they stop, we can't have an honest conversation and we can't actually address the problem. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

No, it's not.  

Except that the league and manufacturers are denying the problem and selling bogus cures.  Until they stop, we can't have an honest conversation and we can't actually address the problem. 

exactly. for the sake of the players, they need to know the risks they are taking. right now, it's cloudy at best. most think "well, i might have a few concussions in my career, but hopefully i won't have a knee injury". i'd take the blown knee any day. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

No, it's not.  

The league is addressing this issue, and this new helmet is an example of manufacturers stepping up. The honest conversation happened several years ago, and reducing head injuries is very doable. No need for the doom and gloom, but some bloggers won't advance the story at all.

Objective people know football has more upside than downside, and violence is just the nature of the sport. And the international players are coming, I'm not worried about the future of the sport at all. 

17 hours ago, Gold Pinstripes said:

Objective people know football has more upside than downside, and violence is just the nature of the sport. And the international players are coming, I'm not worried about the future of the sport at all. 

OK, if long term cognitive problems and white matter brain damage are considered "upsides".

http://time.com/4289745/nfl-concussion-symptoms-treatment/

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/215905052/nfl-concussion-problem-self-reporting-symptoms

As I said on Page 1, every new helmet manufacturer is basically the next plaintiff in a future lawsuit if not from a former NFL player, but from some parent of a HS player.

Archived