XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

On 4/15/2020 at 7:42 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

the real lesson here is to not worry about presenting yourself as major league right off the bat. People might buy minor league football if it’s honest about what it is. Otherwise they’re just looking at minor league players masquerading as major players in major stadiums, where their shortcomings are magnified. 

YES.  Exactly my point.  Major league stadiums lead to major league losses if not filled.  Over and over again.  These new leagues don't get it.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jer15 said:

Sorry, what?

What makes you say that? 

All I can see is this finally buries the Atlantic Schooners return efforts. (Then again, I was never convinced it would happen)

That's what some are speculating over at 3rd Down Nation and CFL.CA Message Board if the season is canceled.  The fact is that a cancelation of the 2020 CFL season is going to cause some financial issues for the league.  If no teams are going to fold, at least it's not out of the realm of possibility that this would speed up a team or two being sold  

3 hours ago, GDAWG said:

That's what some are speculating over at 3rd Down Nation and CFL.CA Message Board if the season is canceled.  The fact is that a cancelation of the 2020 CFL season is going to cause some financial issues for the league.  If no teams are going to fold, at least it's not out of the realm of possibility that this would speed up a team or two being sold  

Not that I'm thinking the Atlantic Schooners were ever going to take the field but it's going to be hard to sell a new stadium being built right now. Without that, they can't play in the league. 

2 hours ago, kmccarthy27 said:

I am saying this seriously, how long before NFL adopts the kick off and claims it as their own idea?  

Unfortunately it wasn't in play long enough to gather any meaningful data on if it helped with concussions.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, kmccarthy27 said:

I am saying this seriously, how long before NFL adopts the kick off and claims it as their own idea?  

What have they adopted from other leagues and later claimed as their own? I know the "sky cam" came from XFL but NFL never claimed to have invented it, they just saw it was a neat idea and adopted it.

2 hours ago, Maroon&Gold said:

Yeah. But the NFL will do anything to make it look like they actually give a :censored: about player safety

They'll try it out in preseason or the Pro Bowl if they try it at all. I don't think they'll touch it though. Only 1 return for a touchdown all season.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

6 hours ago, kmccarthy27 said:

Never. Hell, the UFL created an ideal overtime system that pleased both the supporters of "sudden death" and "both teams get a possession", yet the NFL never adopted it. The UFL has been dead nearly a decade and the NFL refuses to adopt UFL overtime for whatever reason.

I wouldn't get my hopes up of seeing XFL kickoff in the NFL. The shield can be stubborn.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

On 4/16/2020 at 10:08 PM, 4_tattoos said:

Never. Hell, the UFL created an ideal overtime system that pleased both the supporters of "sudden death" and "both teams get a possession", yet the NFL never adopted it. The UFL has been dead nearly a decade and the NFL refuses to adopt UFL overtime for whatever reason.

I wouldn't get my hopes up of seeing XFL kickoff in the NFL. The shield can be stubborn.

What was the UFL overtime?

The CFL has several rules that the NFL should adopt right now, such as the rouge/single, the one-yard gap at the line of scrimmage, and the ability for any player to punt at any time. 

The CFL also has an overtime format that is superior to both the NFL's and the XFL's. (Though there is no need for overtime — in any format — in the regular season. Overtime should be utilised only in elimination games.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

46 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The CFL has several rules that the NFL should adopt right now, such as the rouge/single, the one-yard gap at the line of scrimmage, and the ability for any player to punt at any time. 

The CFL also has an overtime format that is superior to both the NFL's and the XFL's. (Though there is no need for overtime — in any format — in the regular season. Overtime should be utilised only in elimination games.)

Grabbed a year with many ties off the top of my head

Ties are horrible. If anything, the NFL should go to the college overtime system. 

2 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Ties are horrible.

No, they absolutely are not. A draw is just as meaningful a result to a game as is a win or a loss. 

Furthermore, there is no good reason that every regular-season game has to have a winner, because draws still allow for teams to be ranked by winning percentage for the purposes of playoff seeding. (A draw counts as half a win and half a loss.)

The only games that have to have a winner are playoff games; so that's the only time when overtime is appropriately used.

3 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

No, they absolutely are not. A draw is just as meaningful a result to a game as is a win or a loss. 

Furthermore, there is no good reason that every regular-season game has to have a winner, because draws still allow for teams to be ranked by winning percentage for the purposes of playoff seeding. (A draw counts as half a win and half a loss.)

The only games that have to have a winner are playoff games; so that's the only time when overtime is appropriately used.

Draws are fine for soccer, not football. Basketball seems to do just fine without ties. Same for hockey. And baseball (outside of Japan, anyway). I'll take conclusive results any day of the week over a draw that tells me nothing.

Plus, draws/tie games are a relic from the days before electricity when the game would automatically end when the sun went down. So, forget that.

5 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

If I'm investing significant time and/or money to watch an event, I want a loser.  And at least one bad injury.  If you want ties, go watch a little league or amateur game.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

15 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

If I'm investing significant time and/or money to watch an event, I want a loser.  And at least one bad injury.  If you want ties, go watch a little league or amateur game. 

The most popular professional sport in the world features draws as a normal part of league play. This tells us that there is nothing wrong with a draw in a regular-season game in any pro sport.

27 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The most popular professional sport in the world features draws as a normal part of league play. This tells us that there is nothing wrong with a draw in a regular-season game in any pro sport.

Soccer dates back to the Dark Ages of Europe. And yeah, of course draws are a part of it. It came from a time long before public sanitation much less artificial lighting. If the game ended at sundown as a tie, that was that and everyone went home knowing that the goalie might be dead from plague tomorrow. 

4 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Piss on that.  The only thing that tells me what's right or wrong with a sport is how I feel about it, not how holier-than-thou people like you tell me how I should feel.

4 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Are you really saying what works for soccer works for every other sport? Soccer is a low scoring, low action sport that can't go on indefinitely because they struggle to score in the 90 minutes they're given already. And ties blow in soccer as well. They should just go to penalty kicks after regulation and get rid of ties. Seriously, who enjoys sitting for hours only to watch no one win? :censored: that :censored:

Archived