XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

11 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

No, they absolutely are not. A draw is just as meaningful a result to a game as is a win or a loss. 

Furthermore, there is no good reason that every regular-season game has to have a winner, because draws still allow for teams to be ranked by winning percentage for the purposes of playoff seeding. (A draw counts as half a win and half a loss.)

The only games that have to have a winner are playoff games; so that's the only time when overtime is appropriately used.

Ask Michael Jordan what he thinks about ties! No competitor wants a tie in a game. I would rather lose than end in a tie at least I know how far I was from winning if you tie you will never know because the other team could have always scored just one more.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The only thing that tells me what's right or wrong with a sport is how I feel about it, not how holier-than-thou people like you tell me how I should feel.

While I am holier than no one, I am polite enough not to point out the irony in your telling everyone how we should feel.

57 minutes ago, Maroon&Gold said:

Soccer is a low scoring, low action sport that can't go on indefinitely because they struggle to score in the 90 minutes they're given already. And ties blow in soccer as well. They should just go to penalty kicks after regulation and get rid of ties. Seriously, who enjoys sitting for hours only to watch no one win?

Egad, man.  If this is not a parody, it is sad, like some outdated stereotype come to life.  Soccer is indeed low-scoring.  But low-action?  Ridiculous.  Almost every second in a soccer match contains something tactical; there is less down time in soccer than in any other team sport.

4 minutes ago, hugevolsfan said:

No competitor wants a tie in a game.

Demonstrably false.  Every week in leagues around the world plenty of competitors (both players and mangers) are pleased with a draws.  And plenty are not pleased.  If you come back and get level after having trailed for the whole game, that draw is an accomplishment to savour.  Conversely, if you lose a lead late in the game, the draw is a disappointment. And a weaker team attaining a draw against a top team is an accomplishment to be proud of.

The main point is that the playing of the season does not require a winner in every game.  It requires a result in every game; and a draw is a perfectly fine result.  When there needs to be a winner in a particular game (namely: in a playoff game), then by all means have an overtime.  But overtime in the regular season is pointless. 

On the merits of overtime systems in football, there is no need for the gimmick of alternating staged possessions or for the crapshoot of sudden death. The best system is to just have normal play for a set period, perhaps ten minutes.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Demonstrably false.  Every week in leagues around the world plenty of competitors (both players and mangers) are pleased with a draws.  And plenty are not pleased.  If you come back and get level after having trailed for the whole game, that draw is an accomplishment to savour.  Conversely, if you lose a lead late in the game, the draw is a disappointment. And a weaker team attaining a draw against a top team is an accomplishment to be proud of.

The main point is that the playing of the season does not require a winner in every game.  It requires a result in every game; and a draw is a perfectly fine result.  When there needs to be a winner in a particular game (namely: in a playoff game), then by all means have an overtime.  But overtime in the regular season is pointless. 

On the merits of overtime systems in football, there is no need for the gimmick of alternating staged possessions or for the crapshoot of sudden death. The best system is to just have normal play for a set period, perhaps ten minutes.

Unless you are the mindset everyone gets a trophy tying somebody is the same as losing to any competitor. If anyone that plays is satisfied with tying the game then they are not as competitive as they should be playing at professional level.

g

2 hours ago, Maroon&Gold said:
2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

But overtime in the regular season is pointless. 

Not to the competitors that want an actual outcome and not put in a lot of effort for this :censored:

A draw is an actual outcome.  It counts in the standings as less than a win and more than a loss.

59 minutes ago, hugevolsfan said:

If anyone that plays is satisfied with tying the game then they are not as competitive as they should be playing at professional level.

And yet . . . there's the entire world of professional soccer, which is full of highly competitive athletes.

Every fan is entitled to his or her preferences.  But what you have said about competitive athletes is just factually incorrect.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

14 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

And yet . . . there's the entire world of professional soccer, which is full of highly competitive athletes.

Every fan is entitled to his or her preferences.  But what you have said about competitive athletes is just factually incorrect.

Ties are indeed an outcome. It's just an outcome nobody wants to deal with. Ties don't answer questions, they add to them.

2 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Ties are indeed an outcome. It's just an outcome nobody wants to deal with. Ties don't answer questions, they add to them.

exactly athletes may accept it because they have too but I can't imagine anyone competitive saying they will take it over determining the outcome. Me & Ferdinand obviously disagree on what is factual because neither of us can really say what athletes believe but I am saying an athlete that wants to be the best will never settle for anything but the best.  A tie is not the best.

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 8:50 AM, oldschoolvikings said:

What was the UFL overtime?

Pretty much NFL's OT rules, but both teams get a possession. If it's still tied after each team had a possession, the next team to score wins. No UFL games ended in a tie, but IIRC tie games were possible if nobody scored after sudden death went into effect. At least possible for regular season games. I assume an additional overtime period would begin if a UFL postseason game remained tied after the first OT period.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

3 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Sports Illustrated has this summary of the Athletic's report.  But seriously, buy a subscription to the Athletic, it's amazing.

Report: Former XFL Commissioner Oliver Luck Sues Vince McMahon for Wrongful Termination

Dont buy, they have a free trial going until the end of June.

But after that, yes buy.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, kmccarthy27 said:

I'll take, "Things I Didn't Expect to Read Today" for $1000 Alex. 

Seriously though, I like the speculation that they could move the under performing teams to cities that would better appreciate them like Oakland and San Diego. 

20 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

I'll take, "Things I Didn't Expect to Read Today" for $1000 Alex. 

Seriously though, I like the speculation that they could move the under performing teams to cities that would better appreciate them like Oakland and San Diego. 

Dallas was rumored to move to San Antonio if they return. The AAF Commanders fans Facebook group was hoping for that to happen as well. I think it would've worked out well for the league to have that happen. I'm hopeful this move happens, but not holding my breath.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

30 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Dallas was rumored to move to San Antonio if they return. The AAF Commanders fans Facebook group was hoping for that to happen as well. I think it would've worked out well for the league to have that happen. I'm hopeful this move happens, but not holding my breath.

I mean with Oakland and San Diego sitting there as well it makes sense to pull out of over saturated and/or under-performing markets and pivot. San Diego was pretty high on the Fleet before the AAF folded, outdrawing all fo the XFL teams as was San Antonio as you mention. That was always my biggest gripe with the new XFL, they placed too many teams in cities already served by the NFL. That the LA Wildcats relocating to San Diego would be a sweet tiny piece of revenge, that in no way makes up for the Chargers relocation, also doesn't hurt my feelings on the matter. 

So, let's say the XFL actually does come back next year. I'm guessing this is how the divisions would end up:

XFL Mark III

XFL West

Seattle

San Diego

San Antonio

Houston

XFL East

St. Louis

Orlando

DC

New York (this time at Red Bull Stadium)

I think this'll do just fine.

Archived