XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/27/2020 at 5:25 PM, Red Comet said:

I think the only reason the NFL would consider purchasing the XFL would be as a hedge against smaller colleges/universities no longer being able to afford football programs due to the sudden expenses of having to compensate players. Sure, college football will still exist but suddenly you find yourself with a market where a lot of talented 18-22 year olds can't find a roster spot in college. Then the NFL might have the genesis of a minor league. 

But what would they get for their money?  Used equipment and mediocre IP. 

If the NFL decides it should have a development league, they’ll create their own. Not pick up somebody else’s failed leftovers. 

On 5/28/2020 at 1:06 AM, rainmaker17 said:

Why would Dallas move?  I thought they did well in attendance, and the game I went to felt like a sellout.

They did well.  I don't know the terms of the lease.  

13 hours ago, Gothamite said:

But what would they get for their money?  Used equipment and mediocre IP. 

If the NFL decides it should have a development league, they’ll create their own. Not pick up somebody else’s failed leftovers. 

But they did do that with the WLAF which became NFLEurpoe

20 minutes ago, kmccarthy27 said:

But they did do that with the WLAF which became NFLEurpoe

The WLAF was founded by the NFL.  They didn't come in after the fact to buy an existing league, much less one that had already shuttered.

That's my point - if they want a developmental league, they'll create their own again.

37 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That's my point - if they want a developmental league, they'll create their own again.

Agreed, they obviously have the juice and the deep pockets to do so. However it would be pretty cool to see a combined XFL/AAF comeback as a 16 team league...and while I'm at it bring back the USFL teams.

Hey, a dude can dream right?!!?!?!?  😉

10 hours ago, Skycast said:

Agreed, they obviously have the juice and the deep pockets to do so. However it would be pretty cool to see a combined XFL/AAF comeback as a 16 team league...and while I'm at it bring back the USFL teams.

Hey, a dude can dream right?!!?!?!?  😉

And then the AAXFL will eventually merge with the NFL (after playing 3 "Real World's Champion" games) and they'll create the Uber Bowl.  Nobody will really care about pre Uber Bowl championships.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Seems like FOX is okay with XFL3 without Vince McMahon.

I wonder if Fox will still consider sharing broadcasts with ABC/ESPN or if they keep it on FS1 and FS2 with one game a week on Fox. I'm just looking forward to the possibility of pro football back in San Antonio.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.tmz.com/2020/08/03/the-rock-xfl-wwe-vince-mcmahon-football-owner/

The Rock has bought the XFL! If they come back in 2021 I wonder if they'll bring in Under Armour as a way of stabilizing that company too. Realistically, I would expect the uniforms to stay the same or have adidas put their logo on it. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

https://www.tmz.com/2020/08/03/the-rock-xfl-wwe-vince-mcmahon-football-owner/

The Rock has bought the XFL! If they come back in 2021 I wonder if they'll bring in Under Armour as a way of stabilizing that company too. Realistically, I would expect the uniforms to stay the same or have adidas put their logo on it. 

Got it for a pittance, too.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

A cautionary tale that I would have put in the AAF thread, but it is locked.

I have "Riddell mini football helmets" as a save search in ebay. AAF helmets that a year ago were listing around $40 are showing up for sale at under $10.  Lesson - if you buy that stuff, sell it while people are still thinking about it.

It's where I sit.

Archived