XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The general flow of the games has been progressive and interesting.... you get close scores at the half and then one team blitzes through the second.

Defenders going behind to then win convincingly followed by Roughnecks literally murdering the Wildcats after being ahead by one.

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

I have noticed how much faster these first two games have gone as compared to the NFL.

Did they?  Both game went past the three hour window and bled into the the fourth hour of programming.  XFL.com doesn't even post the Time of Game and ESPN app doesn't even have stats up.

NFL does not need to take note but NCAA Football really does. 

22 minutes ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

I'd say Daniels will get the nod next week. 

Gotta say it was good football. 

You kept watching.

XFL believes that there's 40M Americans who are REALLY, REALLY Football fans year round  and they want to that segment.

While I admit I'm addicted to Football, after the today and the AAF, these attempts are like getting a $2 call/well drink at the bar.  It's liquor, but it typically ain't what you prefer and the next morning you think to yourself, what did I do.

13 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

How did you fail to copy/pasteTwitter feeds regarding weather?

I wasn't talking about weather.  I was talking about how big Met Life Stadium is compared to all of the other stadiums and 17,000 fans in attendance there isn't going to look good.  

I didn't see too much, but I liked most of what I saw.  I don't care if you bet on sports, but I find sports gambling discussion to be the lowest form of conversation - maybe second to fantasy football discussion - but I liked how the announcers in the first game kept mentioning how people that played the over just got Fd by the one team's decision to take the points off the board.  I despise sports gambling, but it's a thing, and it's good that they acknowledge it.  The NFL pretends like it's not the reason they do half of what they do - specifically the injury report.  The acknowledgement of gambling, along with the replay transparency, makes this league seem more legit than the NFL.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I went to the Defenders-Dragons game yesterday. The game was held at Audi Field, an MLS Stadium and honestly made for a perfect atmosphere. Just enough seats for the type of energy the league should see on a game-to-game basis. It was super exciting. From the cliche stadium wide wave that went on for 10 consecutive minutes to the “Three! Three! Three!” chants that went on each time after the Defenders scored. I can definitely say that was the most fun I’ve had at a professional football game. I’d even say it beats out a Redskins game. There was so much passion for an XFL team who has only played one game.

4 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I went to the Defenders-Dragons game yesterday. The game was held at Audi Field, an MLS Stadium and honestly made for a perfect atmosphere. Just enough seats for the type of energy the league should see on a game-to-game basis. It was super exciting. From the cliche stadium wide wave that went on for 10 consecutive minutes to the “Three! Three! Three!” chants that went on each time after the Defenders scored. I can definitely say that was the most fun I’ve had at a professional football game. I’d even say it beats out a Redskins game. There was so much passion for an XFL team who has only played one game.

I worked a few seasons for the Redskins  and I told my wife the same about the crowd looking like they were really having a good time rather than excessively drinking and a football game going on. There is a photo on twitter too that showed they ran out of merch as well. 

Just so I am not saying I had something important. My job with the Redskins was a jack of all trades. I managed one of the retails stores a few times, worked at the store in FedEx (which my cousin managed and was the only full time employee there for close to 2 years), and drive around the stadium in a Gator stocking all the merch booths. On game days I either was running a merch trailer in the parking lot or working a register in various spots. 

54 minutes ago, kmccarthy27 said:

I worked a few seasons for the Redskins  and I told my wife the same about the crowd looking like they were really having a good time rather than excessively drinking and a football game going on. There is a photo on twitter too that showed they ran out of merch as well. 

I went with my friend and he noted the amount of people and excitement there was to point out how he couldn’t under why the LA Chargers, an NFL team who also had played in an MLS stadium for the past couple seasons, failed to sell out games on a regular basis.

With the success of the Defenders and how empty the Roughnecks and Guardians crowds looked, I honestly think that the MLS stadiums are going to be the norm for XFL teams going forward (with the exceptions of the BattleHawks, the Dragons, the Wildcats if they move to San Diego, and a potential San Antonio team).

bYhYmxh.png

13 minutes ago, MBurmy said:

With the success of the Defenders and how empty the Roughnecks and Guardians crowds looked, I honestly think that the MLS stadiums are going to be the norm for XFL teams going forward (with the exceptions of the BattleHawks, the Dragons, the Wildcats if they move to San Diego, and a potential San Antonio team).

FWIW, the Guardians crowd would look a lot fuller if they tarped off everything but the lower bowl. I'd probably rather have a few diehards to start off than a lot of curiosity seekers. Mainly because the diehards won't STFU about it and thus drawing more people in. The Maypo/MTV method if you will.

Nice to see Mark Trestman has work -- for now.

Also, there was a PF helmet-to-helmet call on the field, which turned out was just a clean shoulder to body hit. The call stood, game moved on without official review. I was hoping that'd be a reviewable thing in the XFL, but apparently not. Meh.

6uXNWAo.png

Archived