Cincinnati Reds: Time For A Change?

I don’t want to downplay the hideous black drop-shadows but the Reds do have a long history with navy as a secondary color.  I prefer just red and white but there’s a historical precedent for a second color.  I have a big issue with the headspoon piping.  It doesn’t look like a Reds uniform with that design element.  Their critical elements are the wishbone C on the heart and no piping down the middle.  I think the last time they used that piping was the early 30s

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, THRILLHO said:

Also.  Where does everyone stand on Mr Red vs Mr Redlegs?   I think Mr Red is a better logo. 

I think they’re both great, but I would choose Mr. Redlegs between the two of them because I like the nod to the team’s long history. Him wearing an old-style uniform and mustache just fits to me.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I like the headspoon piping for the Reds; it keeps them from looking too bland. When you choose to wear a logo crest instead of a script, it creates a whole lot of white and makes the rest of the jersey look empty. You need more elements than just a logo on the front if you want it to have more appeal. Although the front numbers make up for it a little, I think the piping does more.

I actually LOVE the Reds' font.. it's fairly traditional looking, VERY baseball appropriate, and fits nicely with their identity. I don't understand the hate for it..

I don't mind their use of black at all when kept minimal.. heck, I don't even mind the drop shadow.. honestly, my biggest issue with their set is the red blob logo on the chest.. just use a red "C" and red "REDS" on the white jersey.. I can't stand the white logo/text with the red blob around it.. as much as people here tend to dislike the color-on-same-color jerseys like the Angels, Rays, and Marlins wear, it kinda surprises me that so many people prefer that Reds logo.. it looks so bad to me..

Quick mockup I did with Under Armour's uniform builder.. please ignore it's limitations.. but this is a simplistic idea of the logo they should use on the white jersey.. with or without the black, and preferably with the custom font for the numbers AND the word "REDS" within the logo (although not displayed here)..

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

I like the headspoon piping for the Reds; it keeps them from looking too bland. When you choose to wear a logo crest instead of a script, it creates a whole lot of white and makes the rest of the jersey look empty. You need more elements than just a logo on the front if you want it to have more appeal. Although the front numbers make up for it a little, I think the piping does more.

Agreed.  Pinstripes are best, but if not then piping is a must.  The chest logo alone is not enough to fill the jersey, in the way the “Dodgers” or “Cardinals” script does.

Another player whose less slight of frame 

sabo.jpg

PETE-ROSE-Cincinnati-Reds-1969-Majestic-

the Sabo picture it looks like the logo is slightly more closer to center.  The Rose photo has no sleeve or collar stripes nor is he wearing under garments.  The modern player has plenty of that to add color

44 minutes ago, THRILLHO said:

@Dolphins Dynasty @Gothamite I appreciate what your saying about the space.  I think it can be managed though with larger logos and numbers.  The late 60s version with the buttons had more empty space than the pullover version, especially when they went to double stripes on the sleeves. They could even do the collar the same way on a button down 

e0983b10039b826a40821eec767eee23.jpg

No button-down has the incredibly thick striping of a 70s pullover.   Because that would look silly.   Even teams with vestigial elastic on their road sleeves like the Yankees and Sox, it’s so much smaller and still the worst part of their jerseys. 

51 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

No button-down has the incredibly thick striping of a 70s pullover.   Because that would look silly.   Even teams with vestigial elastic on their road sleeves like the Yankees and Sox, it’s so much smaller and still the worst part of their jerseys. 

I generally don’t like them either on button downs.  Just brainstorming.  The previous marlins set had a single orange stripe that looked like a necklace.  I never liked it.  

I just feel like something has to be done: the black; the shadows; the font; the piping.  Maybe not all of it.  Maybe just one or two should get adjusted and then the other parts would work better.   They’re very close though. Just need to get it over the line. 

As I see it the Reds have five options.

1. Solid white jersey a la 1969

2. Single sleeve stripe - essentially a toned down version of the current jersey

3. Double sleeve stripe (Big Red Machine)

4. Pinstripes (1967)

5. Pinstriped vest (1960's/1990's)

EA0LBCxXYAEWaQt?format=jpg&name=large

Choose one of these routes, add a corresponding road jersey and a red alternate jersey and you're set. One of the unused options above could be used as a Sunday alternate. Boom. Done.

Sorry I don't have the ability to cook up a concept, but if I had it my way the Reds would

• Ditch the black brim and use only the red cap.
  • Keep the font (I realize I'm in the minority but I actually quite like it) but remove the drop shadow.  Maybe make the numbers slightly bigger/wider
  • Reduce the use of black to thin outlines on the numbers and away script, but don't eliminate black entirely--I think the contrast would be beneficial
  • Pinstriped home jersey
  • Remove black from the home chest logo.  Use a red CREDS jersey logo rather than white CREDS on a red blob

6 hours ago, Bmac said:

2. Single sleeve stripe - essentially a toned down version of the current jersey

4. Pinstripes (1967)

Choose one of these routes, add a corresponding road jersey and a red alternate jersey and you're set. One of the unused options above could be used as a Sunday alternate. Boom. Done.

#2, but the 90s logo, which is essentially the inverse of the Big Red Machine. I would prefer a headspoon, but even without it, you're not reinventing the wheel and it still looks like the Reds. Just, enough of the overthinking.

14 hours ago, THRILLHO said:

@Dolphins Dynasty @Gothamite I appreciate what your saying about the space.  I think it can be managed though with larger logos and numbers.  The late 60s version with the buttons had more empty space than the pullover version, especially when they went to double stripes on the sleeves. They could even do the collar the same way on a button down 

e0983b10039b826a40821eec767eee23.jpg

Chest logos look dumb on v-necks.  I'd wager they came about in the first place either because of the button placket interfering with scripts, or designs like the NY just naturally fit on one side.  Since a pullover doesn't have a natural "side", I don't think chest logos would be nearly as prevalent had the pullover been the standard back in the early days.  Maybe the chest logos would have been front and center like hockey crests... or like the early Blue Jays:

georgebell2.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 2 weeks later...

The reds are wearing their military inspired uniform tonight.  The letter and number font had a dark outline in lieu of the dropshadow.  The font really works when you take that drop shadow away.  Granted it was in camo green. But I’d imagine it would still work in red.  That thick drop shadow really ruins it.  Without it the font is much more subtle.

ff_2739673_full.jpg&w=340

Also I was thinking that instead of the full body mr redlegs they should do just the head as the sleeve logo 

2968.gif

On 7/31/2019 at 2:02 PM, Bmac said:

4. Pinstripes (1967)

Any of the top three are perfect, repeating what feels like common sense, just go back to the big red machine era, it was great

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

2 hours ago, THRILLHO said:

The reds are wearing their military inspired uniform tonight.  The letter and number font had a dark outline in lieu of the dropshadow.  The font really works when you take that drop shadow away.  Granted it was in camo green. But I’d imagine it would still work in red.  That thick drop shadow really ruins it.  Without it the font is much more subtle.

ff_2739673_full.jpg&w=340

Also I was thinking that instead of the full body mr redlegs they should do just the head as the sleeve logo 

2968.gif

It might look better, but does it really “work?” Those Ns look like solid rectangles at a distance. The A is practically filled in as well.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived