Colleges In Need For A Logo Rebrand

graydon

I have been thinking that some colleges are really excelling with old school logos, but with the new school approach, what schools need a logo change up? The first one that comes to mind for me is Ball State

1200px-Ball_State_Cardinals_logo.svg.png

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think a lot of Division 2 schools could use a new logo. Two immediately come to mind though.

First Bowie State out of Maryland. That's one of the many generic bulldog logos out there. BSU just put a script B on the collar.

full-color-2.png

Secondly, Pittsburg State in Kansas. Seems like there's a lot of potential in a gorilla logo. There's could be better.

Pittsburg-State-University.jpg

Hotter Than July > Thriller

39 minutes ago, graydon said:

I have been thinking that some colleges are really excelling with old school logos, but with the new school approach, what schools need a logo change up? The first one that comes to mind for me is Ball State

1200px-Ball_State_Cardinals_logo.svg.png

Ball State has the only cardinal which I instantly recognize.  Keep it.

21 minutes ago, graydon said:

I would also say that the Charlotte 49'ers also is a little bit puzzling. Never really understood it unless there is a deeper meaning behind it.

BV_XkpDk_400x400.jpg

1949 was basically the year which the school avoided being closed by the state of North Carolina.

1-

8 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Think a lot of Division 2 schools could use a new logo. Two immediately come to mind though.

First Bowie State out of Maryland. That's one of the many generic bulldog logos out there. BSU just put a script B on the collar.

full-color-2.png

Secondly, Pittsburg State in Kansas. Seems like there's a lot of potential in a gorilla logo. There's could be better.

Pittsburg-State-University.jpg

1- You can only do so much with a bulldog drawing and MGM's "Tom and Jerry" cartoons basically set the template.

2- Hard to do more with a gorilla as well.

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Really?

Seems to me, a gorilla has a ton of different ways you could go with it;

gorillas_zps9bp5a92m.png

I know a company in Japan that did something kinda cool using a gorilla

zxppi0f2za3jgqrnsciy.jpg

Hotter Than July > Thriller

My alma mater, Fordham University, desperately needs a rebrand. They rolled out this logo back when I was there, in 2008 or so, and we all lampooned it as the "fat ram" at the time.

10353500-fordham-university-rams-logo.jp

1200px-Fordham_Rams_logo.svg.png

Way, way too many outlines on that wordmark and on the "F." What a mess. I hated it at the time, and it hasn't aged any better.

2 hours ago, Olmec said:

6474661.jpeg?1411695240

This needed to be replaced the second it was revealed. 

I couldn't agree more! They should go school-wide with their gorgeous basketball wordmark:

shamorie_main.jpg

As for an "ST. J" logo, I've always liked the one on their old baseball caps, even though it's similar to the St. Louis Cards:

FViola.jpg

I am going to have to go with my alma mater, Indiana U. because all they have is the monogram.   Sure, there is the striped pants thing, and they have a script "Indiana", but with no mascot and only a flat, 1-color monogram, they need to do more.  Even adding beveling would be an improvement.  I still argue that they need to modernize the Buffalo mascot they used briefly in the past, or develop a new one.  This is not enough.  Even Penn State, known for minimalist design in uniforms, has more of a logo package than IU. 

resources-trident.jpg

Archived