NBA Changes 2019-20

kolob

4 hours ago, Frylock said:

I swear those silver “pinstripes” are gold on this throwback. Especially when compared to graphic used on the mothership article. Are my old-man eyes deceiving me??

you're correct, they're gold to celebrate the championship.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, axiom20xx said:

you're correct, they're gold to celebrate the championship.

No, they’re silver. They might do something to the regular or “north” jerseys from last year for it on opening night or the ring ceremony, but so far nothings be said about it yet and doubt there will since the last few teams having done anything for the past couple of years.

12 hours ago, L10nheart404 said:

They had a poll toward the end of last season , askingfans to choose their throwback choice between the 1995 uni's, and the red jersey from 1992. I love both of them honestly.  https://mobile.twitter.com/atlhawks/status/1095749286812373004

Give me the Pac-Man jerseys!

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

8 hours ago, Frylock said:

I swear those silver “pinstripes” are gold on this throwback. Especially when compared to graphic used on the mothership article. Are my old-man eyes deceiving me??

020150227235230.jpg 

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I’m late to the party about a lot of these throwbacks, but the nostalgic 90’s kid part of me is really glad to see them. That’s not to say that I think they’re all better than what said teams are wearing now, and that’s an important distinction that needs to be made because I think when 90’s kids get excited about this stuff that it can be confused as being their universal design preference, when that’s not always the case. In my case it’s not necessarily the designs themselves I like, but what gets me excited about them is really the simple fact that it gets me feeling like a kid again, and that’s a pretty powerful selling point to my generation I think (and I would imagine that would be the same for any generation that’s being marketed to, i.e: 70’s stuff to 70’s kids, etc). Would I have a lot of this stuff be worn full time? No. There’s definitely some refining and reigning-in that would need to be done for that to work full-time. But as it is, a few games a year? Absolutely, I’m down.

Its got me wondering too, from a pure marketing perspective, how long the 90’s trend will run and how long that window will be open for teams to cash into it. I don’t have an answer to that, but I simply wonder if teams have already planned to shell some 90’s stuff out of their own next season before it’s too late. Maybe - and this isn’t necessarily an advocation, but a guess - we see the likes of the Rockets’ pajamas, purple Bucks, Hawks’ gradient, or teal Pistons busted out next season to beat the trend clock and sell lots of stuff. Maybe we don’t, and some other trend starts soon. Who knows? *shrug*

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

When the Sixers finally wear that bizarre gradient star uniform, then that's when I would consider the 90's throwback era over. That's the one outlier of the league so far. I feel like they might wear Iverson throwbacks before they even touch that one though.

pg2_g_barkley01_500.jpg

charles-barkley-of-the-philadelphia-76er

bSLCtu2.png

Has there ever been a worse set in any sport than that sixers debacle? Even the small details / execution are awful.  Generic font.  Even the stars look generic apart from the gradient.  

Actually, the execution was worse than the concept. Could it be saved with better font, etc?

10 minutes ago, chakfu said:

Has there ever been a worse set in any sport than that sixers debacle? Even the small details / execution are awful.  Generic font.  Even the stars look generic apart from the gradient.  

Actually, the execution was worse than the concept. Could it be saved with better font, etc?

Yeah man the clippers rebrand 🙂

13 minutes ago, chakfu said:

I consider that set to be the worst look in sports history. Not only did it unnecessarily replace something superior, but the execution was totally amateurish. I know we say things look like high school (or lower) uniforms, but that one really does look like something pulled together in Corel Draw for a middle school uniform. It's unbecoming of a professional sports league and it's absurd it lasted for three (!) seasons.

Here's a really old NBA.com article on Sixers uniform history: https://www.nba.com/sixers/history/uniform.html

There's a lot of love for the black Iverson set, and rightly so, but the look he wore as a rookie was pretty great too.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 hours ago, chakfu said:

Sure. With a little care, it could be a lesser version of the old Suns or Hawks uniforms. Use a more distinctive font with matching numbers, lose "Philadelphia" and the gradients in the stars, rotate the script a few degrees clockwise, maybe adjust the trajectory of the comet-trail of "Sixers," and it would be, while still a product of its time, at least not one of the worst uniforms ever. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 8/30/2019 at 11:31 PM, Frylock said:

Maybe Drake had a hand in that?

I absolutely hate the number font on that Sixers uniform. I'm normally very lenient when it comes to number fonts but that one just doesn't work for me at all.

I loved the court they used in Iverson's rookie season though. It makes no sense but it's still cool anyways. They definitely were giving the fans a preview of the then new look.

13543424633_6f06d1ebcf_b.jpg

bSLCtu2.png

9 hours ago, Shadojoker said:

1996-97-SkyBox-Premium-Allen-Iverson-RC.

bb1692d90bd1a2445b58ceb26d18e347.jpg

I don't understand why these don't get much love from the community. I've loved these more than the set that came after. Clean, stylish and looked good home and away. All they need was a blue version and voila. I guess it is associated with a losing ers?? 

I actually enjoyed those. They were an upgrade over the toothpaste jerseys, but they were associated with a pretty bad era in Sixers basketball too. I wouldn’t be opposed to them throwing back to this, but there are others I’d rather see ahead of it.

Archived