2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Kramerica Industries

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Dolphins are expected to hire the Patriots' LB coach, Brian Flores. That would make him the first black coach in the franchise's history, which surprises me a little considering they went through 10(!) head coaches in the last 15 years. I'm happy to hear about them choosing him because of his leadership traits, as that's something this team has lacked.

18 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

The Dolphins are expected to hire the Patriots' LB coach, Brian Flores. That would make him the first black coach in the franchise's history, which surprises me a little considering they went through 10(!) head coaches in the last 15 years. I'm happy to hear about them choosing him because of his leadership traits, as that's something this team has lacked.

Head Coach you mean. 

Ya know that "Mean" Joe Greene was the Dolphins DL coach from 1995-2003, right?

As long as Mike Tannenbaum is GM, Flores doesn't stand a change.  Know that the Dolphins GM, Chris Grier is also Black and has been a Dolphins employee for 20 years yet cannot adjust the team culture. 

F*^k, the Dolphins have nine Senior VPs!!!  WTH?!?

12 minutes ago, Tracy Jordan said:

My bold prediction: Mike McCarthy will become the next head coach of the Bills in 2020. I don't see McDermott sticking around beyond next season.

They basically forfeited three games this year by having Nathan Peterman around, and they still finished 6-10. The restructuring of the roster and salary cap is done; they have a lot of salary cap space coming up. The schedule doesn’t seem terrible next year. Outside of Josh Allen getting hurt, I think the worst case scenario for the next few years is a period similar to the recent Dolphins/Tannehill mediocrity. And if Josh Allen does get hurt and the team sucks, the injury will probably buy the coach at least one more year.

5 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

They basically forfeited three games this year by having Nathan Peterman around, and they still finished 6-10. The restructuring of the roster and salary cap is done; they have a lot of salary cap space coming up. The schedule doesn’t seem terrible next year. Outside of Josh Allen getting hurt, I think the worst case scenario for the next few years is a period similar to the recent Dolphins/Tannehill mediocrity. And if Josh Allen does get hurt and the team sucks, the injury will probably buy the coach at least one more year. 

Yeah, this is actually the most together the Bills have looked in a very, very long time. And I say that with apologies to former Buffalo Bills All-Pro Tyrod Taylor, who I loved very much but the team's ownership did not.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

50 minutes ago, Tracy Jordan said:

My bold prediction: Mike McCarthy will become the next head coach of the Bills in 2020. I don't see McDermott sticking around beyond next season.

McDermott and GM Brandon Beane were able to hit the "Reset" button on their tenures with the drafting of Josh Allen.  Both have at least two seasons and since both came from the Panthers, I don't see Beane really firing him soon.  The only caveat is McDermott was hired four months before Beane by Doug Whaley.  

57 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

I don't disagree with this. But I think a lot will be riding on whether Allen takes that next step in his development and becomes much more consistent in Year 2. The team around him will be a lot better by virtue of having 10 draft picks and the $90 million in cap space. Improving the o-line is so critical and will play a major role in whether or not Allen can become the franchise QB. But I can see a scenario where the offense struggles under Daboll, especially if the o-line is still bad, and McDermott would either have to fire his OC or stick with him for way too long ala Peterman. And if the offense struggles, we know this can lead to the defense getting blown out which has happened frequently under McDermott's tenure. So if the team finds itself 6-10 or 7-9 next year, and Allen hasn't made a huge leap yet due to injuries or performance, I could see the Pegulas making a change and bringing in an established offensive minded guy like McCarthy. But I know that's unlikely at this point.

39 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

McDermott and GM Brandon Beane were able to hit the "Reset" button on their tenures with the drafting of Josh Allen.  Both have at least two seasons and since both came from the Panthers, I don't see Beane really firing him soon.  The only caveat is McDermott was hired four months before Beane by Doug Whaley.  

I think only the Pegulas can fire McDermott as they pretty much handed him control over the GM from Day 1, which led him to replace Whaley with Beane. I don't mind Beane at all, but McDermott's decision making has concerned me. He was given the perfect QB situation going into last season, and he still managed to screw it up by starting Peterman. It took him 8 or 9 weeks to acknowledge his mistake by cutting Peterman and letting Beane bring in Matt Barkley, who was a big upgrade. I believe that because of this, he's on a shorter leash than most people realize. But then again, the Pegulas were sold on "The Process" from Day 1 so maybe his job is secure no matter what happens next year.

@Tracy Jordan I will say, after scanning the list of current coaches, I’d put McDermott in the top ten or so coaches who would be most likely to be fired next year, but I really don’t see it happening. The wheels would have to come completely off.

I'm not sure how "mutual options" work, but Nick Foles has one for $20M.  He's not going to be back in Philadelphia next season, but I'd imagine they'd like to get something for him - a 3rd rounder?  Maybe 2nd?  Can they pick up the $20M and then trade him?  Could he surprise them and pick it up figuring it's more than he'd make on the open market?  Could they not pick up the option, but 'franchise' him just to keep his rights so they can trade him?

One of the ESPN 'insiders' (can't recall who) said that the Super Bowl LII Champion Philadelphia Eagles could get three #1s for Carson Wentz if they decided to trade him and keep Foles.  That seems high to me - I'd think 2 plus a later round pick - but if you're them, do you just roll with Foles knowing that he can be just as bad as he can be good, and build around him with all those picks?

FWIW, I roll with Wentz - neck acne and all - and wish Foles well in his future endeavours.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I'm not sure how "mutual options" work, but Nick Foles has one for $20M.  He's not going to be back in Philadelphia next season, but I'd imagine they'd like to get something for him - a 3rd rounder?  Maybe 2nd?  Can they pick up the $20M and then trade him?  Could he surprise them and pick it up figuring it's more than he'd make on the open market?  Could they not pick up the option, but 'franchise' him just to keep his rights so they can trade him?

One of the ESPN 'insiders' (can't recall who) said that the Super Bowl LII Champion Philadelphia Eagles could get three #1s for Carson Wentz if they decided to trade him and keep Foles.  That seems high to me - I'd think 2 plus a later round pick - but if you're them, do you just roll with Foles knowing that he can be just as bad as he can be good, and build around him with all those picks?

FWIW, I roll with Wentz - neck acne and all - and wish Foles well in his future endeavours.  

Per ESPN's Tim McManus:

There is a mutual option for 2019 in Foles' deal. The ball falls in the Eagles' court first. They have the right to extend Foles' contract through 2019 at the price of $20 million, which would become fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the league year. If they choose to exercise that option, Foles has about a week to decide whether he wants to take that payday and remain in Philly next season or void the contract. If he opts to void the contract, Foles would have to give the Eagles $2 million, effectively buying his way into free agency.

New League Year starts at 4 PM Eastern on March 19

Thanks for that.  Maybe I'm dumb but trading him seems kind of complicated.  Assume that the FO decides that Wentz is the guy and Foles can't come back - even at less money, and even as a backup.  Sounds like they either need to decline the option and get nothing, or pick it up and hope that Foles declines.  Doesn't seem like it'd be easy to grade a guy that is on a $20M 1-year deal - at least not for anything substantial - especially when everyone knows that you have to trade him.  Maybe some team with cap space would trade a 3rd or 4th to try him out for a year - maybe the lack of long-term deal is actually a benefit?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, dont care said:

Scott Linehan has been asked by the cowboys, supposedly Jerry Jones may not give jason Garrett the extension that was previously reported, meaning he’s probably on the way out too but probably not this offseason but next

Linehan fired, resigned, whatever. All I know is; he's gone.

There is a God!

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

30 minutes ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Linehan fired, resigned, whatever. All I know is; he's gone.

There is a God!

If we had only done this sooner, we might still be playing..

Here’s to hoping our new OC uses Dak properly, runs the football out of 11 personnel more often and we stop using 3 TE jumbo sets on 4th and 1’s/red zone scoring opportunities.

I don’t ask for much lol. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

4 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

If we had only done this sooner, we might still be playing..

Here’s to hoping our new OC uses Dak properly, runs the football out of 11 personnel more often and we stop using 3 TE jumbo sets on 4th and 1’s/red zone scoring opportunities.

I don’t ask for much lol. 

I think Jerry's going to go all-in on Romo and make him the OC.

The fans want him, he'd be great for Dak's development; he can be saved and Romo can make him a great QB, kind of like how he did in 2016.

Reports are that Garrett's extension, which was almost set in stone a few weeks ago, may not happen after all. It's very likely Garrett will be gone this time next year. I think Jerry's going to lure Romo to the sidelines with the prospect of eventually becoming the head coach or the Dallas Cowboys.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

For my least favorite (former) Rams coach.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived