San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

Gothamite

14 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

So you say. 

MLB, manufacturers, retailers and their whole army of consultants say different. 

Now I agree with you that teams shouldn’t base their on-field looks around what pairs well with casual clothes.  But it’s hard to argue what they’re actually doing. 

I say that’s it’s just the opposite, especially with the amount of fashion gear there is today. Fashion caps fill entire stores with maybe one section having the on field caps.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, daveindc said:

[citation needed] (from the last 20 years)

I posted two pictures above, from this very year. 

If you don’t think that leagues use “authentic”, “on field”, and “what the players wear” as marketing slogans, then I’m afraid that I can’t help you. 

Just now, Gothamite said:

If you don’t think that league’s use “on field” as a marketing slogan, then I’m afraid that I can’t help you. 

Again, nobody is denying the marketing of on-field gear. That's not the point here. The point here is that people who wouldn't buy certain authentic gear because it's "too flashy" just aren't the same type of folks who wouldn't buy fashion caps because it's not authentic. There's plenty of money to be made from both authentic AND fashion gear. There's no need for teams to tailor their look around what people wear outside in this day and age. Quite the opposite. 

1 hour ago, dont care said:

I say that’s it’s just the opposite, especially with the amount of fashion gear there is today. Fashion caps fill entire stores with maybe one section having the on field caps.

I don’t know where you’re buying caps, but stores around me are the complete opposite. On field caps are the only options, with the only fashion caps being the grayscale versions which take up a row or two compared to an entire wall of on field replicas

4 hours ago, daveindc said:

Nobody is denying the value of authentic gear. That's not the point in this discussion.

The point here is that no "White guys in their 40s" who need something less flashy are going to worry about it being authentic or not. Fashion caps have been popular for years already. There's no need for teams to tailor their whole look based on people's casual wear in 2019. Maybe that was true 20+ years ago, but not today. 

The fact that teams are still introducing boring, dull, single-color, navy or black road and/or alt hats suggests teams see marketing value in it.. perhaps it's for different reasons, but it's happening nonetheless.. and even if the average white guy in his 40's isn't consciously looking for a "less-flashy-but-still-official/authentic" hat to support his favorite team, the less flashy/more universal nature of one of these new caps may appeal to his sensibilities and he may subconsciously work all that out to conclude that this is the cap for him.. not everyone knows why they like something.. the fact that it's "new" is enough to spark the interest, and the fact that many of these caps actually resemble the more subdued fashion caps of yesteryear may be enough to push them to make the purchase.. I would imagine the MLB and New Era understand all of those nuances better than we do though

On 10/16/2019 at 12:48 PM, BJ Sands said:

I'd love to see a team experiment with different color pants.

I'm waiting for it...it's probably only a matter of time.  Colored pants work good with the Pirates throwback set IMO.

I would prefer monochrome dark baseball uniforms (which we never see anymore) to the awlful monochrome dark football uniforms (which we have to look at all the time now). 

Orioles or Pirates in all black... Astros in all navy?  Works for me. Infinitely better than another dopey dark-over-white softball look IMO.

Just now, oldschoolvikings said:

I would prefer monochrome dark baseball uniforms (which we never see anymore) to the awlful monochrome dark football uniforms (which we have to look at all the time now). 

Orioles or Pirates in all black... Astros in all navy?  Works for me. Infinitely better than another dopey dark-over-white softball look IMO.

Interesting, I would see colored pants as something especially softball-y. I think it’s super unprofessional for MLB, but it does look nice for softball however, I don’t really know the reason behind that though.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

21 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

Interesting, I would see colored pants as something especially softball-y. I think it’s super unprofessional for MLB, but it does look nice for softball however, I don’t really know the reason behind that though.

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Super sexy... don't even try to kids yourself.

On the other hand...

spacer.png

An absolute crime against decency.

59 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Super sexy... don't even try to kids yourself.

On the other hand...

spacer.png

An absolute crime against decency.

In modern day sports design, the only good design you posted (excluding throwbacks which kind of go by their own rules) are the Saints.

I’d also like to make a point baseball pants were strictly black or navy, and for the most part grey for ab a hundred years before any of the brightly colored, pullover era monstrosities you posted above were created. Those only lasted about 20 years for a reason, they are disgusting.

The Saints look is like the opposite of a crime against humanity, it’s the only reasonable design you brought up!

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

3 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

In modern day sports design, the only good design you posted (excluding throwbacks which kind of go by their own rules) are the Saints.

I’d also like to make a point baseball pants were strictly black or navy, and for the most part grey for ab a hundred years before any of the brightly colored, pullover era monstrosities you posted above were created. Those only lasted about 20 years for a reason, they are disgusting.

The Saints look is like the opposite of a crime against humanity, it’s the only reasonable design you brought up!

I'm sorry... I had to stop reading when you used the phrase "good design" in relation to the Saints stripeless black pants, monochrome monstrosities.

Non-white Monochrome football uniforms are an abomination, foisted on us by an evil shadowy power (my theory... Russians) threatening to destroy everything we hold dear.

Dark Monochrome baseball uniforms, on the other hand, while a bit out of the ordinary, make sense because the good Lord intended baseball uniforms to have matching pants and jerseys.

37 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm sorry... I had to stop reading when you used the phrase "good design" in relation to the Saints stripeless black pants, monochrome good uniforms.

Non-white Monochrome football uniforms are an  underrated beauty blessed upon us by an wonderful shadowy power (my theory... Russians) threatening to improve everything we hold dear.

Dark Monochrome football uniforms, on the other hand, while a bit out of the ordinary, make sense because the good Lord intended most football uniforms to have matching pants and jerseys.

Colored baseball pants should be used in throwback uses only, if any tries to recreate the garbage that was the pullover era in the mlb, they deserve to be shot

3YCQJRO.png

2 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

Colored baseball pants should be used in throwback uses only, if any tries to recreate the garbage that was the pullover era in the mlb, they deserve to be shot

Actually, I think it's the bagginess of the throwback stuff that makes it look so bad.  I think in a modern cut uniform colored pants could look decent. 

11 hours ago, mjd77 said:

Actually, I think it's the bagginess of the throwback stuff that makes it look so bad.  I think in a modern cut uniform colored pants could look decent. 

No, it didn’t look good 30 years ago, and doesn’t look good now watching guys run around in what look like pajamas.

15 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Who was wearing baggy uniforms 30 years ago?

spacer.png

I’m saying when you wear monochrome colored uniforms in baseball they look like pajamas. Pete rose looked like he just rolled out of bed to hit a ball when the phillies wore their all red unis.

On 10/20/2019 at 8:45 PM, -Akronite- said:

Off topic a bit but care to share? There are certainly some grays that are quite well done, but I'm not sure if any are my personal favorite in their respective sets. Maybe the Yankees? But I'm a pinstripe hating bastard.

Just jumping in here, but for me personally your Cleveland Indians come to mind.  I like their road grey's better than any other in that set.  Clean, crisp, simple.  The home uniform script doesn't really do it for me.

Image result for francisco lindor

90758391980.gif

Archived