San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

Gothamite

Very interesting.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/columnists/nick-canepa/sd-sp-padres-brown-uniforms-canepa-20190110-story.html

While it’s yet to be etched in rusted iron, unless some other actual color falls out of a magical Crayola box, expect the Padres to be wearing brown uniforms come 2020.

Ron Fowler reluctantly admits it.

When I visited the club’s executive chairman to discuss several topics regarding his Pads, I brought up the controversial brown unis, the baseball franchise’s 1969 color of choice — thanks to original owner C. Arnholt Smith, who would have painted St. Basil’s Cathedral brown if he were mayor of Moscow.

I asked Fowler because: a) I knew it was coming; b) because I know he dislikes brown uniforms and, c) he knows I dislike brown uniforms.

He’s held out as long as he could. He hasn’t backed away from his dislike for it and, after all, he runs the club. He’s surveyed his fan base (no doubt hoping it would like to see something that didn’t look like a chili size) and, as our Kevin Acee first wrote in July, while brown wasn’t a mandate, it was close enough.

This is what happens if you’re fan-friendly.

When the Spanoses took over The NFL Team That Used To Be Here in 1984, they dumped the royal blue jerseys the team had been wearing for a decade.

This was late Spanos family patriarch Alex doing his best to do away with anything the team’s previous bosses preferred. He went with navy, despite the fans’ craving for either the status quo or the attractive powder blues (which the players still wear a few times a year and of course Fredo has no trouble selling powder blue gear).

A man of the people? Not Dean-Fredo. Ron Fowler?

“We are not the Chargers,” he states in the obvious, being that his team is still here. But he is willing to listen, and while what he hears may not be music to his ears or candy to his eyes, he seems ready to wave the brown flag.

“If I were a betting man, I’d say we’re in brown uniforms in 2020,” Fowler continues. “We’re still in the middle of research, but that’s what I believe.

“OK, I’ve mellowed.”

Well, I might buy what he has to say about team colors, but I’ve known this highly successful man for a while, and mellowing isn’t getting into my cart. His partner, Peter Seidler, all but invented mellow.

“We’ve done a lot of research,” he says. “Brown may be the minority, but it’s the most vocal minority and the largest minority — greater than blue and the old Pacific Coast League uniforms.”

The old PCL unis of course are classic, by far the best things they have hanging in their closet, and they should be the ones. But then, they are not brown. The minor league Pads did not look like Friar Tuck.

“It’s what the fans want,” Fowler says. “The reality is we want people to be passionate about the team and they are passionate about brown. The last alternative is blue."

About freaking time.

More at the article - give it a click. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I couldn’t stand were those hot dogs slathered with mustard unis.

“Dark brown, with gold — and a lot of white, is what we’re looking at,” he says laughing.

What I want, more than anything, is this team to have an identity. There have been too many uniforms, too many different looks. The great, storied franchises have had the same look forever.

But I don’t want to see players running around the bases looking like UPS drivers who just rear-ended a French’s truck.

This was there too... it would be brown and gold with white... like the current brown alternates, not the overly brown look. Sounds good to me.

“We’ve done a lot of research,” he says. “Brown may be the minority, but it’s the most vocal minority and the largest minority — greater than blue and the old Pacific Coast League uniforms.”

I'm not sure how Brown is the minority if it's a larger minority than Blue.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

18 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I'm not sure how Brown is the minority if it's a larger minority than Blue.

Let's say brown at 40%, and blue at 30%, and PCL at 20%, and other at 10%.

Brown is less than 50%, therefore a minority.  Most popular doesn't equal majority.

It's where I sit.

18 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Let's say brown at 40%, and blue at 30%, and PCL at 20%, and other at 10%.

Brown is less than 50%, therefore a minority.  Most popular doesn't equal majority.

True. It's just odd how he phrased it..."Brown may be the minority"...well, they're all a minority vote.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

16 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

The "a lot of white" quote is very strange. The only thing I can figure is that the jerseys won't have piping? Otherwise, I'm not sure how there can be a lot of white.

I took it as just saying that it won't be like the 70's uniforms with brown and yellow pants. Just that they'll be more like this...

Related image

than like this...

Image result for padres brown uniforms 70s

I don't necessarily think he meant white will be like a team color or something. I think there's a big difference between those two pics and having brown caps, undershirts, and wordmarks as opposed to brown and/or yellow EVERYTHING. The line about not looking like UPS employees says a lot to me.

Dark brown with gold. I wonder if it'll be the type of DARK brown Western Michigan University football uses. It's almost black. And gold, eh? So no yellow. It'll still look nice if done right.  Bring back the friar too...just darken his robe a bit. 😀 

nl_1969_sandiego.gif27022151672_1cd196fdbd_b.jpg

Done!  Lots of white . . . or at least cream.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

3 hours ago, Proc said:

Dark brown with gold. I wonder if it'll be the type of DARK brown Western Michigan University football uses. It's almost black. And gold, eh? So no yellow. It'll still look nice if done right.  Bring back the friar too...just darken his robe a bit. 😀 

Unless he means "athletic gold", which is the color they used to wear.

Mprq4Wz.png

x5qgaefxmvbsmrkzw3k8qggwr.png

I hope they don't get too complicated; this is an amazing color scheme.

products-DSC_0367.jpg

5 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

This was there too... it would be brown and gold with white... like the current brown alternates, not the overly brown look. Sounds good to me.

More like the reverse of the current Alt. White uni with brown highlights. Might look ok. Definitely avoid the historical browns as they pretty much all sucked other than arguably '74-'75.

4 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

Any chance of a returning 90’s blue and orange scheme? I prefer it over the brown and gold, although their both good looks. A blue and orange swinging friar would be top in the MLB.

Not according to the Padres. They said navy/orange didn’t even make it out of the first round.

7 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I'm starting to get sick of this bouncing around on the idea of brown from the team. It's to the point where when it finally happens I'm probably not even going to care anymore because they screwed around for too long.

Yes, long journeys can be frustrating.  But when you get to the right destination, you’ll forget how hard it was to get there. 

On 1/11/2019 at 10:25 AM, Ray Lankford said:

The "a lot of white" quote is very strange. The only thing I can figure is that the jerseys won't have piping? Otherwise, I'm not sure how there can be a lot of white.

Sounds like he's describing the brown alt, and maybe also the cap logo. White lettering, piping, and logo. Maybe something like this: 

9750hbS1-645x356.jpg

A good amount of white to prevent a "hot dogs slathered with mustard" or "UPS driver" look that the writer joked about in the article. Fowler laughing while mentioning that there's a lot of white seems like a response to these type of jokes from the writer that must have been said to him.

Archived