MLB Changes 2020

kimball

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Walter Sobchak said:

When did they wear this? I looked it up and it says 1955, but I didn’t find any pictures of players wearing it.

17 hours ago, JonBoy said:

I think it was a batting helmet logo only.

That is correct.  It was on their batting helmets in 1955.

Buck Showalter liked that logo, and wore that fashion cap to practices and some team events.  He thought the Orioles should have a city monogram cap.

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

He thought the Orioles should have a city monogram cap.

Does make you wonder: what "rules" are in place for that? You've got teams like the Blue Jays who tried to make one but it never really caught on. Then you've got teams like the Marlins who had something of a hybrid logo/monogram. I always associate monograms with the old-timey teams, because they kind of feel like a product of that era.

The Blue Jays are the only non-lettered cap I ever approved of because I love that bird ever so much. I'm fine with the Sox and A's, at least they're letters. The Orioles' birds are bad, the Astros' open-ended stars were atrocious.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

47 minutes ago, Quillz said:

Does make you wonder: what "rules" are in place for that? You've got teams like the Blue Jays who tried to make one but it never really caught on. Then you've got teams like the Marlins who had something of a hybrid logo/monogram. I always associate monograms with the old-timey teams, because they kind of feel like a product of that era.

And then you have the problem of too many teams using the same letter (example: 'C') to the point where they run out of ideas of how to make it look unique.

There are a lot of O's fans who despise Boston so much that they would not be too keen with a 'B' logo. 

3 hours ago, Quillz said:

There are no rules - teams can put pretty much whatever they want on a cap, so long as they think it's marketable.  Logo, monogram, anything.

16 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That's a nice attempt, but the italics just make it look minor-league.  What they have now is better.

I beg to differ, if only because the H-star just doesn't fit with the desired "Space Age" aesthetic of the Astros. It should feel like Original Series Star Trek, not "We play in an old rail station and have more dirty secrets that Dean Corll."

There's nothing "minor league" about italics. In fact, it's a good way to blend a bit of the '94-'99 look into a more "Astros"-like identity.

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

I beg to differ, if only because the H-star just doesn't fit with the desired "Space Age" aesthetic of the Astros. It should feel like Original Series Star Trek, not "We play in an old rail station and have more dirty secrets that Dean Corll."

There's nothing "minor league" about italics. In fact, it's a good way to blend a bit of the '94-'99 look into a more "Astros"-like identity.

I beg to differ, italics are very "minor league"

2 minutes ago, dannykraft said:

I beg to differ, italics are very "minor league"

Not really. Just because nobody in the majors did it until the '90s doesn't make it "minor league."

If it was an exceptionally goofy cartoon mascot (more than Orioles' bird) or used bulbous or "overdesigned" letterforms (perhaps with cartoon imagery themselves), then I'd agree. But since it isn't, italics are acceptable.

Archived