MLB Changes 2020

kimball

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, schlim said:

How does the base color of this sandy grey road uniform compare to the grey uniform they had in the mid to late 80's before the switch to blue and orange?  I always loved that shade of grey and thought it worked really well with the brown and orange they had. These new ones look spectacular as well. I'd say it's surprising teams don't use more unique shades of grey (and powder blue (more/less saturated)) but then again, it's not really something uniform manufacturers  or teams seem to really care about

I’ve done a comparison on this before. The late 80s sand was lighter and just slight more grey-ish/dusty but still tan. The current version is darker and more in the brown range...again only by a bit. see below.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Contrast this with the early 2000s tan, those were a strange yellow tan and were hideous. 

On 8/10/2020 at 11:41 PM, shstpt1 said:

Oakland is wearing the Kelly Green jersey with the road pants. Apparently they’ve won last 6 of 9 in them, and decided to take them on the road

Do they now have a Kelly green helmet-yellow brim? Saw the highlights on Twitter so I couldn’t tell. Did they always have that? Even so, why not make it match the hat? That’s one thing teams do that bug the heck out of me. The helmet should be a hardened version of the hat. If you can’t do that, maybe you have too many hat options.

KISSwall09.jpg

2 hours ago, Archon said:

I’ve done a comparison on this before. The late 80s sand was lighter and just slight more grey-ish/dusty but still tan. The current version is darker and more in the brown range...again only by a bit. see below.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Contrast this with the early 2000s tan, those were a strange yellow tan and were hideous. 

I really wouldn’t trust those graphics. Maybe check out Trucolor instead. 

3 hours ago, Archon said:

Wow...   That looks close enough that if you hadn't said you compared them I'd think it could be an optical illusion from the surrounding hues.

Speaking of which, I'm still not sure if the Atlanta on the Braves' navy alts is lighter or it's a similar illusion.   It looks so friggin' bright on the alt.   But it's also surrounded by nothing but dark.

I'm on board for darker caps/socks mostly going better with away grays, but after never having an opinion on the Braves in this respect, I just watched nine inning of them in their away grays.   They should have the red brim on both.   The Braves don't need the all navy cap at all.   Their away grays have so much red on them, especially with the huge block numbers on the back and all that cursive and the tomahawk on the front.   It's more than balanced enough to wear the red-brimmed cap.

spacer.png

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I really wouldn’t trust those graphics. Maybe check out Trucolor instead. 

Per TruColor, the current sand road uniform is #B7A99A and the 2004-10 sand road uniform was #C5C1B2. The 1985-90 road uniform was #B2A8A2, which they list as gray, not sand.

Jic0dBm.png

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

10 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I'm still not sure if the Atlanta on the Braves' navy alts is lighter or it's a similar illusion.   It looks so friggin' bright on the alt.   But it's also surrounded by nothing but dark.

I really doubt that Majestic offers them a different shade of navy lettering for one jersey.  It's all the same, but as you note our perception of color is greatly affected by context.

10 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I'm on board for darker caps/socks mostly going better with away grays, but after never having an opinion on the Braves in this respect, I just watched nine inning of them in their away grays.   They should have the red brim on both.   The Braves don't need the all navy cap at all.   Their away grays have so much red on them, especially with the huge block numbers on the back and all that cursive and the tomahawk on the front.   It's more than balanced enough to wear the red-brimmed cap.

This. 

When your regular cap is good, you don't need an alternate.  The Braves are a perfect example.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

This. 

When your regular cap is good, you don't need an alternate.  The Braves are a perfect example.

Here's the thing.   I don't think it applies to everybody.   I think Oakland, Detroit, and Baltimore should have two caps (at least as long as their home cap is what it currently is) and for Cleveland, Washington, Seattle, Arizona, and Houston the different bill options are a wash.   (Meanwhile the Mets and Reds should just have one same-colored cap.and I think the red-bill Cubs had goes well with the blue alt)

Specifically for Atlanta I know a lot of people want them to return to the red bills full time because that's what they wore through their heyday of the 90's and for 51 of the 60 years they've been wearing navy caps since 1934 in Boston (not counting a break for royal during the 70's/80's) until they broke that and started wearing all navy on the road in 2009.   Like I said, I never had a big opinion, but unlike the three teams I mentioned at first, the Braves have plenty of red so that the hat looks plenty fine with the away grays.

Meanwhile, the Orioles, and A's have no white on their home uniforms so the big white cap and white A don't look as good as the all-black cap and the yellow A (which should still be the away cap rather than the current abomination), and the Tigers completely leave a team color off the home uniform so it's nice to get it on the away version and it looks good.  Both options look good for all three and the away versions are just as good (if not better for the panel-haters) so I'm all for the difference.  The black-bill Reds away and silver-logo Mets away alt are... just... not good traditionally or aesthetically respectively.

spacer.png

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Meanwhile, the Orioles, and A's have no white on their home uniforms so the big white cap and white A don't look as good as the all-black cap and the yellow A (which should still be the away cap rather than the current abomination),  Both options look good for all three and the away versions are just as good (if not better for the panel-haters) so I'm all for the difference.  

Neither should have a second cap. The Orioles should use the road cap full-time, while the A's should NEVER wear a road cap.

"But no white on the A's road uniform!" - Well, make the Elephant white again (as it was originally, John McGraw didn't call the Philly A's a "green elephant"), and you're set.

This:

7819492_orig.jpg hqdefault.jpg

...is so much better than this:

orioles12-joe-saundersjpg-800x445.jpg 420x0.jpg

The Tigers' two caps are fine.

7 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Neither should have a second cap. The Orioles should use the road cap full-time, while the A's should NEVER wear a road cap.

"But no white on the A's road uniform!" - Well, make the Elephant white again (as it was originally, John McGraw didn't call the Philly A's a "green elephant"), and you're set.

This:

7819492_orig.jpg hqdefault.jpg

...is so much better than this:

orioles12-joe-saundersjpg-800x445.jpg 420x0.jpg

The Tigers' two caps are fine.

The point for the Orioles was that as long as the home cap is white-paneled, they should stick with the black on the road.   Me, I don't mind the white panels, but we can both agree it shouldn't be on the road.

As for the A's, Canseco was with them from 85-92.   In 93 they significantly darkened the colors, getting farther from being balanced with the white.  I think the green/gold away cap was a good look and made a nice, dark aesthetic for the road.  The brightness of the gold kept it from getting too drab in contrast to Milwaukee's duller gold from more than ten feet away.

1459679_original.jpg?1290482853left-fielder-jeremy-giambi-of-the-oaklan

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

As for the A's, Canseco was with them from 85-92.   In 93 they significantly darkened the colors, getting farther from being balanced with the white.  I think the green/gold away cap was a good look and made a nice, dark aesthetic for the road.  The brightness of the gold kept it from getting too drab in contrast to Milwaukee's duller gold from more than ten feet away.

1459679_original.jpg?1290482853left-fielder-jeremy-giambi-of-the-oaklan

The "nice, dark aesthetic" is vastly inferior to the brighter, "happier" colors they had. Even in dark green, the gold bill and white "A" look better.

DepjJjRU8AE3nBx.jpg

Also, after adopting a road cap in '93, the team has won exactly one playoff series (2006 ALDS). The gold bill is part of the club's "winning tradition" years, as is Kelly Green. If you added a gold bill to this, you'd have the jumping off point for a true return to form.

Matthew-Chapman-Glove-Khris-Davis-Bat-Cleats-34.jpg

#BringBackTheKelly

There's nothing wrong with forrest and yellow, but it's wrong for the A's.  Their whole gimmick is that they were the first to wear bright colors like those head-to-toe, and white shoes, etc.  Even though the scripts are more traditional and conservative, they shouldn't deviate from the bright colors.  If they're going to wear forrest green, they might as well just go back to the royal blue from back in the day.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yeah, there's no good reason for the A's to stick to the forest green or those dismal road caps. Make the elephant white or use the primary on the sleeves, keep the shoes white, and no one can complain that there's no other white.

@TheHealthiestScratch's avatar is my favorite concept for an Orioles cap. It's a bird! It's a B! I didn't think it could be done. I'd make the pupil white but other than that it owns.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

19 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Besides, it's California; bright colors make way more sense for the A's given where they play. Forest and yellow seems too 90's-2000's "darken the colors because they gotta look cool" for my taste.

Have you ever been to the Bay Area?  Oakland is a little sunnier than SF, but it's not like Southern California.  It can be cold and windy even in July.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

38 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Yeah, there's no good reason for the A's to stick to the forest green or those dismal road caps. Make the elephant white or use the primary on the sleeves, keep the shoes white, and no one can complain that there's no other white.

Agreed! There's also no reason to keep the "Yankee Collusion" script either. 

hqdefault.jpg

That remnant of Arnold Johnson's disgusting tenure as owner needs to die. I'd keep the "Oakland" script, but I'd want to restore the "A's" insignia to the chest of the home uniform.

928177400.jpg.0.jpg al-simmons.jpg 51JEdwezVLL._AC_.jpg Jackson%20Reggie_McWilliams%20HoF%20action%20082.jpg?itok=cHCch3tC 20839769]&call=url[file:product.chain]

It's such a part of their tradition, one they've been neglecting since the '80s. The alternates do rectify it, but only a little.

38 minutes ago, the admiral said:

@TheHealthiestScratch's avatar is my favorite concept for an Orioles cap. It's a bird! It's a B! I didn't think it could be done. I'd make the pupil white but other than that it owns.

It's an amazing logo design! If I didn't love the cartoon bird so much, I'd recommend the team wear a design identical to it.

1469730708_Artboard1.png.dff1b98d374981f

No A's.  Just A.

Just A.

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

Wow, out of all places for my personal branding logo to get noticed (last name starts with "Burd"). I appreciate the compliment a lot, and I also appreciate you giving me a reason to post it on the sports concept forums now. I have really wanted feedback, but never felt it was appropriate there. I guess it can be shown as a Baltimore concept! Here's your tweak for it.

spacer.png

Archived