MLB Changes 2020

kolob

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least with the Yankees, the jersey is theoretically good forever, since the number will likely get reused, and there's no NOB.  For other teams, that's $350 for a jersey that may be relevant for one year.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

22 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I hadn't thought of it, but since you mentioned it, should Dtt9s include the swoosh?  IMO, yes, it should.  It's an official part of the on-field uniform now.

Yeah I can see the logic of how it should be included in the illustrations. If it is meant to document what exactly was worn, yes. I just can't get past the fact the swoosh effectively sits *over* the team's identity as an advertisement for a company, not to promote the team, but to promote itself. Not only that, but it doesn't distinguish the particular team since they all have it. Instead, if teams chose their own sponsors, I can see the value in documenting them on dtt9's. I would hate it, but it would make sense to me.

But yeah, towards the goal of documenting 100% accurately, I see the point. I wonder, though, would there be any copyright issues with dtt9's rendering Nike's trademark?

Maybe it would be better if the swoosh was the same color for all teams, so that it would be clearly visually distinguishable?  Like I said about the NBA patches, as much as I hate them, I kinda don't notice them much because my eyes can clearly tell that they're something superimposed on something else, rather than part of the jersey (exception being the Celtics, since their jerseys are only two color and the GE logo is one of them, so it does look like part of the jersey.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 hours ago, Gothamite said:

That’s the swoosh surcharge for you.  You’re lucky it’s not more. 

I just snatched up a set of Majestic authentic Voit jerseys back at the end of October and paid $150 for both. Like BBTV said with the number it’s just whomever is wearing it now. 

4 hours ago, ltravisjr said:

But yeah, towards the goal of documenting 100% accurately, I see the point. I wonder, though, would there be any copyright issues with dtt9's rendering Nike's trademark?

As opposed to the trademarked team logo???

It's where I sit.

11 hours ago, Gothamite said:

That’s the swoosh surcharge for you.  You’re lucky it’s not more. 

That’s similar to the cost of authentics sold by other retailers. That’s not unique to Nike. 

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

41 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

That’s similar to the cost of authentics sold by other retailers. That’s not unique to Nike. 

The Brewers jerseys went up $120 this year.   Made on the same templates from the same materials by the same craftspeople in the same Pennsylvania factory.  But now, those people sew on a swoosh.  And Nike adds the swoosh surcharge.

Who cares if it’s unique?  It’s unconscionable. 

11 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

As opposed to the trademarked team logo???

Yes, I actually wonder if there might be a difference. The uniform database is an online exhibit of the National Baseball Hall of Fame. I figure the HOF has an agreement of sorts with MLB for fair use of the identities of its teams. Nike isn't a team so I wonder if they need to be brought on board when the HOF decides to show its trademark. I don't see why they would object since its free advertising by way of a non-profit. Its probably not a big deal but I just wondered.

I imagine it’s in the contract that the swoosh is subject to whatever usage deals exist for the uniforms it appears on. 

these deals just become too complicated any other way. 

2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

How is that good? The Angels don't play in LA. Pretending to be an LA team when they're located in Anaheim has always been silly.

For sure, Anaheim Angels sounds great, rolls of the tongue just Los Angeles Lakers. 👍 🙂

Los Angeles Angels  is just wrong for so many reasons 😒

On 12/22/2019 at 8:51 AM, tp49 said:

...and to think I really just came to this thread to complain that a Yankees jersey with its single color, single layer number, and no name on the back costs $359.  Ridiculous. 

from what i can see on mlbshop, they now cost $300, up from $234 last season

https://www.mlbshop.com/new-york-yankees/mens-new-york-yankees-gerrit-cole-nike-white/navy-home-2020-authentic-player-jersey/t-25227698+p-2563645405800+z-9-354346340?_ref=p-DLP:m-GRID:i-r1c1:po-4

https://www.mlbshop.com/new-york-yankees/mens-new-york-yankees-aaron-judge-majestic-home-white-authentic-collection-flex-base-player-jersey/t-58339832+p-248307087292+z-8-4197631171?_ref=p-DLP:m-GRID:i-r11c0:po-33

$70 for no reason, this is bull :censored:

Can there be a separate thread made somewhere for the sole purpose of debating whether Anaheim should be the identifier for any major-pro sports team so that other threads don’t get Anajacked or Angeljacked?

1 minute ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Can there be a separate thread made somewhere for the sole purpose of debating whether Anaheim should be the identifier for any major-pro sports team so that other threads don’t get Anajacked or Angeljacked?

You mean an "AnaHEIM-LICH MANEUVER"?

Archived