Arena Football News & Updates

7 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Under Baker, the AFL's team values were at their highest, as was its players' pay. Most important of all, public awareness of the league was at its peak, with the games on NBC. 

Now that MLS has firmly established itself as the fifth major league, we should remember that the AFL, with its array of solid and credible owners, was well ahead of MLS, and appeared to be on the verge of attaining that status. 

This was no fairy tale. It was a reasonable gamble, one which for quite a while looked likely to pay off.  The fact that the NFL ultimately did not buy into the Arena League — as most observers believed would eventually happen — is not the fault of Baker, who got the league to its pinnacle.

It was a great run.

And lest we forget...

61WoJynsHBS._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 3

VmWIn6B.png

Okay, let's break it down team by team here:

Iowa: Folded after one week. League may be doing what they did with Philadelphia in Week 1 and putting whoever's willing to wear the uniforms for free on the field in Salina, KS this weekend.

Philadelphia: Purged an entire roster they got booted from a Super 8 and replaced them with an amateur team from Dallas. May dress someone this weekend, who knows.

Albany: Drew >2,000 to their last game because it was on Thursday night to air on NFL Network, which did not happen because the league didn't pay for its time buy and has now lost all future TV dates.

West Texas: Getting sued by their former league for jumping ship.

Oregon: League-owned, playing in a low ceiling barn with padded rodeo gates for walls. Offering all tickets to this weekend's game for free with an online promo code.

Louisiana: League-owned. Moved from Lake Charles to Lafayette the week before the season opened because they didn't pay their lease. Are not paying their players.

Georgia: League-owned. Are not paying their players.

Minnesota: Not league-owned, technically, but owned by the commissioner's wife. Are not paying their players.

Billings: Owner has had quite enough of all this and is publicly calling for the ouster of the commissioner and his right-hand man.

Other than that, good start!

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

21 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

I’m half-expecting Lee Hutton to be some AI creation now. It would at least explain why he never shows up. 

Both Lee Hutton and ChatGPT make up things that aren't true; but ChatGPT corrects itself when called on it.

• LOL 2

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

This is unbelievable.  I didn't know this league was back until reading this article, but apparentlty the PHL team is owned by the league, they released the coach and most players the day before their game in New Orleans (and the players got kicked out of their motel and a bus that was supposed to take them to the airport didn't show, because they were all released, but they didn't even know.)

Some other indoor league team from Texas was given Soul jerseys and brought into New Orleans to play in the game as the Soul.

I never thought stuff like this could happen in 2024.

https://www.inquirer.com/sports/philadelphia-soul-arena-football-league-20240429.html

Also, at said game, the barricades were being held up by people.  They weren't even fixed barricades.  How the hell does any atlhetic commission allow this game to be played?

• WOAH 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 5/3/2024 at 11:09 PM, LMU said:

And lest we forget...

[snipped EA Sports Arena Football boxart]

dude. that game got a sequel.

51s09GOrxlL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

AS YOU'RE FALLING DOOOWN (AS YOU'RE FALLING DOWN) MY HEART BEATS THE SAAAME (BEATS THE SAAAME)

• Like 3
  • Love 1

53Ocz8U.png

11 hours ago, BBTV said:

This is unbelievable.  I didn't know this league was back until reading this article, but apparentlty the PHL team is owned by the league, they released the coach and most players the day before their game in New Orleans (and the players got kicked out of their motel and a bus that was supposed to take them to the airport didn't show, because they were all released, but they didn't even know.)

Some other indoor league team from Texas was given Soul jerseys and brought into New Orleans to play in the game as the Soul.

I never thought stuff like this could happen in 2024.

https://www.inquirer.com/sports/philadelphia-soul-arena-football-league-20240429.html

Also, at said game, the barricades were being held up by people.  They weren't even fixed barricades.  How the hell does any atlhetic commission allow this game to be played?

I’m shocked that clip hasn’t gotten more airplay because it says more about this league than any BS PR statement ever could. 

Minnesota Myth released a statement last night about the issues around the league. Shortly after one of their players posted their statement was a lie. He wasnt paid last week and is now unemployed as he was cut by the team this morning. The team is playing this evening against Philadelphia (who doesnt apparently have published roster available, so who knows who these guys really are?)

GMybe3eW8AAPmlr?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1

Signature intentionally left blank

5 hours ago, GDAWG said:

I think I've brought this up in the thread before, but this is a practice in broadcasting known as "brokering." How it works is that a station or network negotiates with an entity on a purchase price for the airtime they want. The entity then controls that block of airtime and can either sell ad space during it to make up for what they spent, or for infomercials, try to sell enough product.

The AFL tried buying airtime and then not pay for it. It wasn't very effective.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

9 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

I think I've brought this up in the thread before, but this is a practice in broadcasting known as "brokering." How it works is that a station or network negotiates with an entity on a purchase price for the airtime they want. The entity then controls that block of airtime and can either sell ad space during it to make up for what they spent, or for infomercials, try to sell enough product.

The AFL tried buying airtime and then not pay for it. It wasn't very effective.

I wonder if their plan to pay for it was much like the rest of their plans - people will pay us for AFL, so we'll get the money later.

It's where I sit.