Sign in to follow this  
johnnysama

The Canadian Football League: The Future

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

 

1) what positions require a different type of athlete?  I fail to see how an NFL receiver isn't the "type of athlete" needed to be a receiver in the CFL.

 

2) Examples?

 

 

Do you mean just the style of the game, or do you mean talent/quality of play?

Both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2019 at 12:39 PM, johnnysama said:

Both.

 

You conveniently didn't answer the first two questions.  Here they are again:

 
On 8/27/2019 at 10:18 AM, Skycast said:

 for many positions they require a different type of athlete.

 

Over the years there have been many successful NFL players go to the CFL and bomb...return to the NFL and then have productivity.

1) what positions require a different type of athlete?  I fail to see how an NFL receiver isn't the "type of athlete" needed to be a receiver in the CFL.

 

2) Examples?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair to johnny, he’s clearly just answering the question you asked in response to his specific post.

 

To the first point, it’s not really that it requires a different kind of athlete, it’s more so that a lot of smaller guys or players that would be considered smaller by NFL standards can play, and be successful, in the CFL. I guess also quarterbacking is different because it’s more of a passing league up here with three downs and a bigger field. A weaker armed/more scrambler qb could conceivably have more success in the NFL than the CFL.

 

For the second point, I can’t think of any NFL players that bomb in the CFL to go back to the NFL and be better (maybe Ricky Williams? But he had injury issues during his one year up here IIRC). If they flame out in the CFL, they’re usually out of football or in whatever Fall league/arena league is active.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

 

You conveniently didn't answer the first two questions.  Here they are again:

 

1) what positions require a different type of athlete?  I fail to see how an NFL receiver isn't the "type of athlete" needed to be a receiver in the CFL.

 

2) Examples?

 

 

Further to monkeypower's point, the example I can think of is Vince Ferragamo.

 

Led the Rams to the NFC Championship after 1979 season and then had a good NFL year in 1980.  Passing for 30 TDs (tied for 2nd most in NFL).  19 INTs.

 

Made the unusual career move of bolting for the CFL in 1981 and played one season with the Montreal Alouettes.  He did appear to have trouble adjusting to the Canadian game.  Passing for 7 TDs while throwing 25 INTs.

 

Went back to the Rams and put up much better stats as a starter in 1982 and 1983 than his disastrous CFL stats.

 

https://www.cflapedia.com/Players/f/ferragamo_vince.htm

 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FerrVi00.htm

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vince_Ferragamo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2019 at 6:28 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

 

1) what positions require a different type of athlete?  I fail to see how an NFL receiver isn't the "type of athlete" needed to be a receiver in the CFL.

 

2) Examples?

 

 

Do you mean just the style of the game, or do you mean talent/quality of play?

 

Lineman and linebackers...more space to cover requires these positions to be quicker and probably a little smaller. The linemen especially with more room to cover, one yard off the ball, etc...the 350+ pound behemoths are at a disadvantage, they need to be a little more agile.

 

I mean the game and it's rules are not inferior...there's no doubt that the NFL has higher overall quality athletes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m checking. Out the Edm-Ham game it’s on espn2. this is pretty good football I like the faster pace. Maybe 3 downs ain’t too bad after all. I wish the CFL was more accessible here in the states. Well whatever I can get I’ll take. I plan on checking out more in the future. And to be honest this isn’t a shootout or anything but I’m pretty impressed with the play. They got some good players up there. Are most of these players Former American college guys? Or is it a balance of both countries?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, mkg74 said:

I’m checking. Out the Edm-Ham game it’s on espn2. this is pretty good football I like the faster pace. Maybe 3 downs ain’t too bad after all. I wish the CFL was more accessible here in the states. Well whatever I can get I’ll take. I plan on checking out more in the future. And to be honest this isn’t a shootout or anything but I’m pretty impressed with the play. They got some good players up there. Are most of these players Former American college guys? Or is it a balance of both countries?  

Pay for ESPN+.

 

Boom. Done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mkg74 said:

 Are most of these players Former American college guys? Or is it a balance of both countries?  

 

It is really a balance as the CFL has a ratio rule:

 

https://www.cfl.ca/game-rule-ratio/

 

To simplify the situation, it is basically half the team is U.S. players with the other half Canadian.  U.S. players from NCAA college football.  Many Canadian players sourced from the Canadian university game (U Sports football) and some from the Canadian junior football ranks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use to be full blown NFL all the way. Then I watched one CFL game and haven't looked back. It's like how all through your 20's you drank Bud Light because everyone else did. Then you took a sip of something else and realized Bud Light is just plain disgusting 🤪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

I use to be full blown NFL all the way. Then I watched one CFL game and haven't looked back. It's like how all through your 20's you drank Bud Light because everyone else did. Then you took a sip of something else and realized Bud Light is just plain disgusting 🤪

Hooray for the Douglases!

Edited by dfwabel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

I use to be full blown NFL all the way. Then I watched one CFL game and haven't looked back. It's like how all through your 20's you drank Bud Light because everyone else did. Then you took a sip of something else and realized Bud Light is just plain disgusting 🤪

 

Kinda feel the same way. I mean I still watch NFL, it’s kind of a cultural imperative in the US. But I’d much rather watch a CFL game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2019 at 11:54 AM, Skycast said:

 

Lineman and linebackers...more space to cover requires these positions to be quicker and probably a little smaller. The linemen especially with more room to cover, one yard off the ball, etc...the 350+ pound behemoths are at a disadvantage, they need to be a little more agile.

 

I mean the game and it's rules are not inferior...there's no doubt that the NFL has higher overall quality athletes.

I recall reading something about Laurent Duvernay-Tardif of the Chiefs, and it mentioned that it'd taken him most of his rookie year to adjust to the more narrow neutral zone after being used to Canada's wider one.  Which now has me thinking of how dominant Cam Wake was in his two years with BC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Playoffs are set.

 

East Semi-Final: Edmonton @ Montreal

East Final: @ Hamilton

 

West Semi-Final: Winnipeg @ Calgary

West Final: @ Saskatchewan 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2019 at 7:53 AM, Discrimihater said:

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif of the Chiefs

Ah, I see the Quebecois Name Generator is in working order.

 

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6841277,-63.6018383,17z Here's the area in HFX where they'd build the stadium, if you're like me and enjoy poking around such places on Google Maps. That's some darn fine blight they have there on the Dartmouth side of things. Area around it seems awfully suburban, which doesn't seem to be the norm for CFL stadiums, I think they're all downtown except for the one in Hamilton, which is going to be an odd duck by virtue of being Hamilton.

 

Important Halifax observation: English Canada never really fell in love with architecture, did it? Most of this country looks like it was built in 1978. Halifax feels especially disappointing. Just hideous brutalism in every downtown except preserved-in-amber Quebec.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Important Halifax observation: English Canada never really fell in love with architecture, did it? Most of this country looks like it was built in 1978. Halifax feels especially disappointing. Just hideous brutalism in every downtown except preserved-in-amber Quebec.

There are some beautiful parts, for sure, but I think what you're seeing might be the economic center shifting away from Montreal after Bill 101. The new money was headed to Anglo Canada, and brutalism and boxy concrete were very fashionable at the time. Architectural detail and saving old buildings were not. There are several high-profile buildings in my city that I lament were simply built at the wrong time... 15 years earlier or 15 years later, and the design choices would have aged much better. Buffalo knocked down Frank Lloyd Wright's only office building ever made, despite some contemporary knowledge of how special it was... if it survived through to the late 80s or early 90s, it would be a treasure today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 teams would be a nice balance and not have teams be off two weeks a year.  I don't know how a 10 team CFL would affect scheduling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

10 teams would be a nice balance and not have teams be off two weeks a year.  I don't know how a 10 team CFL would affect scheduling. 

 

Play a straight 18 week schedule. You play every team twice (home & away) for 18 games. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this