12 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The Marlins built a low-capacity stadium that failed to fix supply and demand and cost too much money to build. I don't like going under 35,000 or over 45,000. 

I don't think having a genius who spent more money on a garish barely-used contraption than most of his players helped either. 

• Like 2

On 10/18/2019 at 6:22 PM, dont care said:

When stadiums cost billions even billionaires can’t afford it and keep their other businesses afloat.

Stan Kroenke is building a football palace in Los Angeles on his own dime. If he can do that then whoever owns the A's should be able to build a decent ballpark in Oakland.

• Like 8

Sorry about that, @Red Comet.  I was hoping that you were being sarcastic.

Anyway, to get this thread somewhat back on topic, have any of you ever read NewBallpark.org, a blog that has spent years covering the Athletics' lengthy, difficult quest to land a replacement for the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum?  I neither am an A's fan nor have any personal connection to Northern California, but I have nonetheless been reading that blog somewhat regularly for most of the nearly fifteen years that it has existed.  Both the blog's deep, steady coverage of the political and financial intrigue that has prolonged and complicated that club's pursuit of a new home venue and the many passionate comments that many readers have made about the matters covered by that blog have been enough to draw me into being a surprisingly frequent reader.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Walk-Off said:

Sorry about that, @Red Comet.  I was hoping that you were being sarcastic.

Anyway, to get this thread somewhat back on topic, have any of you ever read NewBallpark.org, a blog that has spent years covering the Athletics' lengthy, difficult quest to land a replacement for the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum?  I neither am an A's fan nor have any personal connection to Northern California, but I have nonetheless been reading that blog somewhat regularly for most of the nearly fifteen years that it has existed.  Both the blog's deep, steady coverage of the political and financial intrigue that has prolonged and complicated that club's pursuit of a new home venue and the many passionate comments that many readers have made about the matters covered by that blog have been enough to draw me into being a surprisingly frequent reader.

It's all copacetic. And thank you for the rabbit hole! I wonder how Charlie Finley feels now that the city he abandoned has a far nicer stadium than the Coliseum could ever be?

Edited by Red Comet
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Stan Kroenke is building a football palace in Los Angeles on his own dime. If he can do that then whoever owns the A's should be able to build a decent ballpark in Oakland.

Stan Kroenke is worth over 8 billion, the A’s owner is worth less than 2. That’s a huge difference

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dont care said:

Stan Kroenke is worth over 8 billion, the A’s owner is worth less than 2. That’s a huge difference

Not necessarily, especially when in MLB you get at least 81 attempts (as of now) per year to recoup your investment.  As @Gothamite alluded to, billionaires have pretty easy access to funding when needed since they go to Goldman Sachs at virtually anytime for their core business. The Athletics make money as it is, so the books are fine, even without future revenue sharing checks coming in.  As I stated before, when the news hit in February that Gap was going to spin off Old Navy, the family's net worth is going to increase since they will get one Old Navy share for every Gap one they own and they own 43% of Gap.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

The Angels have agreed to stay in Anaheim until 2050 and the stadium (along with 133 surrounding acres) to be sold to a business partnership, which includes Arte Moreno, for $325 million.

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/12/04/angels-agree-to-stay-in-anaheim-through-2050-stadium-to-be-sold-for-325-million/

Rob Manfred right now: One down, three (Arizona, Oakland and Tampa) to go.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

The Angels have agreed to stay in Anaheim until 2050 and the stadium (along with 133 surrounding acres) to be sold to a business partnership, which includes Arte Moreno, for $325 million.

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/12/04/angels-agree-to-stay-in-anaheim-through-2050-stadium-to-be-sold-for-325-million/

That's quite a sweetheart deal. I'm sure that it'll be a total coincidence that whoever negotiated this deal gets a massive war chest the next time they're up for re-election. 

Edited by Red Comet

5 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Rob Manfred right now: One down, three (Arizona, Oakland and Tampa) to go.

Its a BS explanation for not expanding.

So long as a team is playing in the worst ballpark in the Majors, there's always going to be an X number of teams to go. There's always going to be a worst ballpark, so you figure out how long it's going to be before every team is 100% satisfied with their ballpark situation.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, pmoehrin said:

Its a BS explanation for not expanding.

So long as a team is playing in the worst ballpark in the Majors, there's always going to be an X number of teams to go. There's always going to be a worst ballpark, so you figure out how long it's going to be before every team is 100% satisfied with their ballpark situation.

Shhhhh, you're making too much sense. If there weren't available markets to expand to, then how else will billionaire owners and politicians be able to demand a taxpayer-funded stadium? Why, they'd have to make do and actually think of creative ways to make money and that's just not fair to people with sterile minds.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I'd say contracting the Florida Two would be an ideal situation.

Agreed. Anyone who listens to Basically a Sports Show knows my position on Major League Baseball in Florida. It was a bad idea from the start and it just got worse from there. Those two teams are never going to be successful in Florida. Move them, get rid of them, or find a way to have them play just the Yankees, Red Sox, and Cubs for their home schedules. It's a shame that a pretty cool stadium is being wasted on Miami. 

• Like 4

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.