MLB 2019 Changes

I like the Royals' alternate jersey, but full powder-blue uniforms should never leave the past. The Cardinals are getting too NBA-y with all these alternates. All teams are.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love those Cardinals jerseys. Not sure how I feel about all about all blue though, but at the same time I'm trying to picture it with gray pants and it doesn't look as good in my head. Will need to see it on the field.

And this seems like an unpopular opinion, but I love the Birds on the Bat Sunday cap. It's one of my favorites hats in the MLB.

7 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Ironic, considering that they resisted the lure of any alternate at all for so long.

The one thing that I can appreciate though, is that they have a single designated day for them. I did kinda like the fact that they resisted alternates at one time, but I don't think it cheapens the look at all. Both of the alternates are fantastic, in my opinion.

I know that this is unpopular, but the only change that I would make is to get rid of the bird on the bat Sunday hat, as well as the navy road when playing in Cinci and Washington. I have never liked the bird on the bat hat, and as much as I like the navy road hat to wear personally, I much prefer the red in all game scenarios. 

6 hours ago, BelfourThibault said:

I know that this is unpopular, but the only change that I would make is to get rid of the bird on the bat Sunday hat, as well as the navy road when playing in Cinci and Washington. I have never liked the bird on the bat hat, and as much as I like the navy road hat to wear personally, I much prefer the red in all game scenarios. 

Not that unpopular - I agree with you wholeheartedly on both counts. 

7 hours ago, BelfourThibault said:

The one thing that I can appreciate though, is that they have a single designated day for them. I did kinda like the fact that they resisted alternates at one time, but I don't think it cheapens the look at all. Both of the alternates are fantastic, in my opinion.

Counterpoint: I love the "clash cap" and think more teams should get one.

I'd love to see the Twins with a modernized powder blue road alt to get in on the fun.

1985+Donruss.jpg

I was at a players weekend game this year and the powder blue really looked nice.  All they have to do from that jersey is ditch the Navy sleeves.

Yeah, I wish instead of players weekend it was “CCSLC members weekend”, only designs that would get the majority of the vote in the polls section would make it on the feild, therefore teams would have a better shot at looking reasonable.

Interestingly, upon seeing the full Cardinals uniform photo, one of my first thoughts was that it reminds me of 1940s-era experimentation (i.e. the Cubs' vested powder blue, the Dodgers' satin unis), probably due to the headspoon, the "St. Louis" script, the loose fit, and the exposed socks.  Obviously, "Victory Blue" reference means the team is intentionally recalling the '82 Series and that particular era, but all the other aspects of this uniform make it seem like not an explicit harkening back to the '70s and '80s (if they'd really wanted to do that, they'd just clone that uniform with the neck/sleeve-end/pants stripes and maybe dump the sansabelt and pullover).  I'll give them props for designing a road uniform that isn't basic grey, yet isn't also an intentional throwback.

Also of note, I think this is the first time a team has had a regularly-scheduled powder blue *road* uniform (not just a jersey) since the '91 Expos and Royals (who, of course, wore nothing but powder blue, not just weekly alternates like what the Cards are doing).

I grew up in the seventies so my perspective is different. Powder blues and pullovers were practically obligatory and except for a handful of stalwart teams that always wore grey, when other teams started going grey it was novel and welcome. Also, since it was a pullover era, spoon piping was very rare and I welcomed seeing another team or two adopt them. Now, however, spoons are so ubiquitous that I almost get sick of seeing them appear in new branding. Back to the powder blues, they were so standard that there were some I preferred and some not. I liked the lighter more saturated versions and the White Sox of the early 70’s were maybe the best example. They were very bright, true powders and the blue contrasted well with the red and white. Ironically, they predated pullovers as they were zippered with belts and were actually their “traditional” unit before the awful collared pullover pajamas that followed. 

allen_7846xski_953ajh9k.jpg

On 11/19/2018 at 10:06 AM, jn8 said:

YESSSSSS. Hot take: Powder blue roads need to make a major comeback 

I am fine with powder blue on the road. I'm also fine with the D'backs dark gray on the road. As noted, gray might be traditional, but I've never felt like teams have to wear gray on the road "just because." Especially if you're a newer team, you're not traditional. And that's fine.

Something to consider: powder blue, dark gray only seem "wrong" because it's not the norm. Had baseball always had powder blue as the "default" road color, the Cardinals would have announced the return of a gray road uniform.

1 hour ago, Quillz said:

Something to consider: powder blue, dark gray only seem "wrong" because it's not the norm. Had baseball always had powder blue as the "default" road color, the Cardinals would have announced the return of a gray road uniform.

And if Betsy Ross had chosen purple and green for her flag, then the Patriots wouldn’t wear RWB today.

Sports develop their aesthetic over time. That’s how it works. Along the way, they could have gone in many different directions.  But they didn’t.  So gray became the visual norm for road uniforms, with powder blue as the occasional blip along the timeline. 

1 hour ago, Quillz said:

I am fine with powder blue on the road. I'm also fine with the D'backs dark gray on the road. As noted, gray might be traditional, but I've never felt like teams have to wear gray on the road "just because." Especially if you're a newer team, you're not traditional. And that's fine.

Totally agreed. At least with their previous set, the Marlins would've been well-served by playing a bit of mix-n-match with their colors. Think of a lightish-blue hat over an orange jersey over lightish-blue pants, vice-versa, or a black hat over an orange jersey over said lightish blue pants; the Marlins may have been about the only MLB team to pull off such a ridiculous concept and make it their own.

As for the Cardinals with a full powder blue, button-up uniform? YES! I've long thought that they should go with a buttoned-up, "modernized" design of the 1970s-1980s pullovers and use powder blue pants with it as well.

I also wished that (generally lighter) full-color road alternates would be used. I'm thinking the A's in all yellow, the Orioles in all-orange (again the Royals in all powder blue (again), and perhaps the Diamondbacks in all turquoise. I have no issues with the Diamondbacks' dark gray and wished a couple younger teams would give it a try. Perhaps we could see a couple games with the White Sox in all black or the Rockies in all purple.

The funny thing is, back in the 70’s-80’s I didn’t really think of the powder blue as a “color” per se. It was just a neutral, as we think of road gray now. Perhaps that is because it wasn’t part of a team’s brand, but just the blank “canvas” of a standard road set. I contrast that with the all maroon Indians, monochrome yellow Pirates, etc. of that era, which garner a totally different “out of the box” perception than the monochrome powder blues.

Archived