Special Number Font Discussion

Reyes47

As a lot of you may have noticed in sports both pro and college specialized number fonts are becoming more and more common than the standard block font. I thought this sounds like an interesting topic to talk about

For me I prefer specialized number but to a degree. My preference is for numbers to remain similar to standard block but with a minor tweak. My two favorite examples are my two favorite college/nfl team the Florida Gators current jerseys and the Jax Jaguars 2014-2018 jerseys. Both are block fonts but make minor tweaks to fit their brands better

5cdb2fca2100003500808386.jpeg

626168710.jpeg&c=sc&w=736&h=485

However I cannot stand gaudy, huge and gimmicky numbers. Obvious offenders are the Bucs and Oregon. On the flip side I’m not a fan of rounded numbers. The only times these work for me is Chicago Bears, Steelers and the Georgia Bulldogs. Wisconsin and Alabama basketball don’t feel like DI sports schools but like mid tier high schools to me and I just feel block would look better (Then again Wisconsin may look like Nebraska)

usa-today-12345711.0.jpg

And one last thing this goes to one number specifically. One. I’m not a fan of 1’s that lack the top tick to it and are just a straight vertical line. First reason is it looks like and uppercase i or lowercase l and second it just feels too ‘small’ I guess? Not to mention 11 look like pause buttons and the ones are inevitably too close to easy other. the top part of the 1 and the base in some cases spaces it out much better

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCKdV_cEwiOpv_0yTDsAo

e811bece8aea89e9f06041036a30a09d

also personally I prefer when colleges keep the number font consistent for all sports

Always loved the Packers' use of the notched 5:

gettyimages-1191332050-e1575327096232.jp

But, I wish the middle bar of the 5 was higher like it used to be:

screen_shot_2019-06-07_at_4.07.26_pm.png

On 12/11/2019 at 3:57 PM, Reyes47 said:

Wisconsin and Alabama basketball don’t feel like DI sports schools but like mid tier high schools to me and I just feel block would look better (Then again Wisconsin may look like Nebraska)

Obviously biased here, but I honestly prefer the rounded numbers Under Armour made to unify the dominance of the football and basketball programs in recent history and, as a result, the rest of the athletics have a unified look.  And in the Big Red Ten, you need as much uniqueness as possible to stand out from Indiana, Maryland, Nebraska, Ohio State, and Rutgers when you're a red team.  Maybe if the Big Ten didn't add Nebraska, Maryland, and Rutgers; Wisconsin could rightfully own a Packers-esque block.

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

On 12/13/2019 at 9:48 PM, packerfan21396 said:

Obviously biased here, but I honestly prefer the rounded numbers Under Armour made to unify the dominance of the football and basketball programs in recent history and, as a result, the rest of the athletics have a unified look.  And in the Big Red Ten, you need as much uniqueness as possible to stand out from Indiana, Maryland, Nebraska, Ohio State, and Rutgers when you're a red team.  Maybe if the Big Ten didn't add Nebraska, Maryland, and Rutgers; Wisconsin could rightfully own a Packers-esque block.

Ever since the 2000 Rose Bowl, I've had a huge gripe with how bright the Badgers red has gotten.  It should be something much closer to what Stanford uses.

I think Barry Alvarez has a fetish for making the Badgers to look as much like Nebraska as humanly possible. 

23 minutes ago, NicDB said:

Ever since the 2000 Rose Bowl, I've had a huge gripe with how bright the Badgers red has gotten.  It should be something much closer to what Stanford uses.

I think Barry Alvarez has a fetish for making the Badgers to look as much like Nebraska as humanly possible. 

Well, TruColor has the Badgers wearing the same cardinal since the Motion W was introduced in 1991, which is the second darkest red (not counted Minnesota's maroon, Indiana's crimson is the darkest red) in the Big Ten (and somehow the same color code as Ohio State?). However, I do think Under Armour's University Red is darker than adidas' Wisc Red implementation, even though Wisc Red, UA University Red, and the Motion W's history all use Pantone 200 C.

In an attempt to find similar lighting conditions, this is what that looks like:

2001-2015 adidas Wisc Red:

corey-clement-ncaa-football-outback-bowl

2016-present UA University Red:

usatsi_13504459.jpg?width=540&height=405

But, then again, if you watch the games, you can tell which team is Wisconsin and which is Nebraska by how they're playing...

Gonna be a while until the the Freedom Trophy goes to Lincoln for the first time.

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

4 hours ago, packerfan21396 said:

But, then again, if you watch the games, you can tell which team is Wisconsin and which is Nebraska by how they're playing...

Gonna be a while until the the Freedom Trophy goes to Lincoln for the first time.

Uggg, don’t remind me 😫

Well, at least the college I actually go to hasn’t lost a football game since 2010

19 hours ago, packerfan21396 said:

Well, TruColor has the Badgers wearing the same cardinal since the Motion W was introduced in 1991, which is the second darkest red (not counted Minnesota's maroon, Indiana's crimson is the darkest red) in the Big Ten (and somehow the same color code as Ohio State?). However, I do think Under Armour's University Red is darker than adidas' Wisc Red implementation, even though Wisc Red, UA University Red, and the Motion W's history all use Pantone 200 C.

Oh, it had been at least a decade and then some before Alvarez when the Badgers last wore a proper cardinal red.  I suspect they began to brighten it when color television became a thing.  But Alvarez was when the Badgers began wearing pretty much the exact shade of scarlet as Nebraska.  It was especially annoying in the days before HDTV, and I'm definitely not thrilled now that Nebraska is a divisional rival.

As far as the Badgers special font... I could take or leave it.  But I feel it would be a lot less necessary if they would use a color close to what Stanford uses. 

23 hours ago, sportsfan7 said:

I've always liked the Vikings 2's

ROwpB6F.jpg

I wish that they customized every number to match its neighbor.  The serif at the top of the first 2 fits, but they should flatten the bottom of the first 2 and add the flourish to the other 2.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Nashville Predators custom number is a nice nod to the city and the Minnesota Wild's original jersey numbers fit their name.  Minnesota's original jerseys, by the way, were spectacular.  They have been one of those rare franchises that have made changes, but for the most part, have looked pretty good in everything they have worn.

spacer.png

spacer.png

7 hours ago, CS85 said:

I wish that they customized every number to match its neighbor.  The serif at the top of the first 2 fits, but they should flatten the bottom of the first 2 and add the flourish to the other 2.

I agree. The asymmetry only looks good on some of the numbers

On 12/16/2019 at 9:39 PM, sportsfan7 said:

I agree. The asymmetry only looks good on some of the numbers

Asymmetry, you say??

53125108.jpeg&c=sc&w=1600&h=1097

And let's not forget the single wildest full- season uniform top in NHL history...

52348.jpg

(I'm still searching for the name of that base font...the Motre Bame Milwaukee Brewers used it as well. Anybody know?)

Of course, the NBA and especially ABA have been doing unique numbers since at least the 70s, but the NHL took it to new levels of "sophistication" in the mid-90s...which resulted in my favorite team sports uniforms of all time ever...

maple-leafs-capitals-shutterstock-editor

item_41799_1.jpg

95-96-bondra-back.jpg

s-l300.jpg

olaf-kolzig-washington-capitals-pro_1_56

97-98-juneau-back.jpg

39589.jpg

None of these would pass muster today (and that Eagles jersey is a bootleg), but they're a reminder of the days when sports identities had a little more "fun" to them. 

I got a lot more to share on this topic, but that'll have to wait for another time....

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

37 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

What team is that "Chara" jersey from?  I love those colors!

That is the New York Islanders' short-lived 1990s Fisherman redesign. It's widely-seen as one of the worst redesigns in NHL history, especially because it replaced the style of jerseys that the Islanders won four straight Stanley Cups in.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I can definitely appreciate why Islanders fans rebelled against those jerseys now.  But I'd only started following the NHL in the early 90s and thought they were some of the coolest ones in hockey at the time.  Now I'm glad the Islanders have gone back to their traditional brand, but much like the Disney Angels uniforms, I always thought the fisherman logo and those colors would be great for an Islanders farm club.

On 12/16/2019 at 3:08 PM, stumpygremlin said:

I'm a fan of unique number fonts being used everywhere they can. I think all pro sports teams should have their own number fonts. Full stop.

I'm generally with you on this.  I don't think every team needs its own font.  However, I really dislike the idea of league-wide number fonts, like in the Premier League and MLS.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Also, two of my favorites (yes, I'm probably biased) . . . 

spacer.pngspacer.png

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 12/18/2019 at 11:28 AM, Buc said:

And let's not forget the single wildest full- season uniform top in NHL history...

52348.jpg

I'm more intrigued by the bottom half of the jersey and sleeves...did they just add extra material (that doesn't match) because Zdeno's so damn tall?

Archived