Pro Lacrosse Logo/Uniform Changes

4_tattoos

After a successful (by their own admission) first season, the Premier Lacrosse League is adding an expansion team for the 2020 season. The Waterdogs Lacrosse Club was introduced earlier today. The PLL sure isn't afraid to take risk with it's team names. Guess it's better than playing it safe with generic names we've heard thousands of times already. I can't imagine it going well had this team been named the Bulldogs lol.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, walkerws said:

So does this mean they're planning on one the per week not traveling to the different sites? 

I would think so.

Although I have a feeling players from the team on a BYE week may be called upon to the game sites just to make promotional appearances. Solely basing that on the fact that last season several players from teams that played on Day 1 of a PLL weekend would still be around on Day 2 interacting with fans and doing media stuff. I don't think PLL players get to simply play and go home.

4 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

It will be nice to see a team with purple in their scheme. That was probably the only color lacking in the 6 logos/color combos.

Honestly thought the Archers would've looked pretty sharp if they wore purple instead of navy blue.

21 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

After a successful (by their own admission) first season, the Premier Lacrosse League is adding an expansion team for the 2020 season. The Waterdogs Lacrosse Club was introduced earlier today. The PLL sure isn't afraid to take risk with it's team names. Guess it's better than playing it safe with generic names we've heard thousands of times already. I can't imagine it going well had this team been named the Bulldogs lol.

They did well enough to get investors to add another team.

So yes, the initial season was successful. 

I typically never think of a bulldog as a water dog, but so is life.  Basing it off a retriever would have been a better choice to me, but they're too cute to look mangy/aggressive.

After reading this Sports Illustrated article, it seems like the team was going to definitely have a dog for the primary logo after the research they conducted. Guess they just needed/wanted a unique name to go with a dog logo *shrug*

https://www.si.com/lacrosse/2020/01/01/premier-lacrosse-league-introduces-waterdogs

2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

They did well enough to get investors to add another team.

So yes, the initial season was successful. 

I typically never think of a bulldog as a water dog, but so is life.  Basing it off a retriever would have been a better choice to me, but they're too cute to look mangy/aggressive.

It takes me 30 extra minutes to hose down the side yard when doing yard work because my family's bulldog gains the ability to jump like a combine athlete doing the vertical when he sees water, and he doesn’t stop going until it is turned off. So I guess I can accept it as a water dog out of personal experiences.

2 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

The PLL's team branding remains underwhelming. In my opinion, the Archers and Whipsnakes boast the class identities in the league. Well behind them are the Atlas, Redwoods, and Chaos brands. Chrome and the Waterdogs strike me as being flat-out horrible. 

Seems like they're trying to go with a combination of traditional-ish names and (for lack of a better word) experimental names. Whipsnakes, Archers and Redwoods all sound like they could be the name of a team that's been around for decades. Atlas, Chaos, Chrome and Waterdogs... you can tell they were thinking outside the box with those.

4 hours ago, totc said:

Woof.

But seriously, what's next? Aircats? Firefish? Earthkittens?

Paul Rabil was awfully fond of an expansion team being called either Grit or Stones at one point. He's done a great job at getting this league visibility in ways that Major League Lacrosse has not (and still not doing so), but maybe he should leave branding decisions to somebody else going forward. He green lit all of the names and logos so far.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 12:45 PM, Brian in Boston said:

In the wake of Monday's disclosure that the Dallas Rattlers franchise was ceasing operations

Ohhh. So that's why the Premier Lacrosse League is taking their tour to the Ford Center in Frisco, TX this year. It's no longer a MLL venue. Noticed they seem to avoid playing in the same venues as their rival league. This year the PLL is going to Long Island, NY at Stony Brook's stadium instead of Hofstra's stadium which is home to MLL's NY Lizards.

Archived