Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

56 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

white > gray > brown

The Browns almost got it 100% in 1999.

ronnie-powell-1999.jpg

A- because the pants stripe was too thick, but that's still better than every change they've made to the uniforms since then. 

We can have the 2193410928340928345204935th argument about this.  The white facemask, visually, doesn't look as pleasing at the gray.  Mind you, I'm someone who constantly complains that uniforms aren't uniform enough anymore.  But the gray facemask just worked so well with the Browns helmet.  The white facemask takes the focus off the orange helmet and the stripe.  It's distracting.  It sticks out.  The gray facemask works with the vintage feel/look of the browns.  It blends into the background, putting the focus on the orange helmet.  I get gray isn't in the color pallet... but the white makes it looks clowny.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/5/2019 at 5:27 PM, hawk36 said:

Or simply remove the white stripe (I know traditionalist hate this idea but visually I think it's way better). 

BrownsOrange.jpg

OK, now do a version where everything that's brown the pants/shirt are white.  And the helmet strip is just the center white, with no flanking brown.

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

white > gray > brown

The Browns almost got it 100% in 1999.

ronnie-powell-1999.jpg

A- because the pants stripe was too thick, but that's still better than every change they've made to the uniforms since then. 

I'll take the white facemask every day

7 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

We can have the 2193410928340928345204935th argument about this.  The white facemask, visually, doesn't look as pleasing at the gray.  Mind you, I'm someone who constantly complains that uniforms aren't uniform enough anymore.  But the gray facemask just worked so well with the Browns helmet.  The white facemask takes the focus off the orange helmet and the stripe.  It's distracting.  It sticks out.  The gray facemask works with the vintage feel/look of the browns.  It blends into the background, putting the focus on the orange helmet.  I get gray isn't in the color pallet... but the white makes it looks clowny.

Bolded: I DISAGREE 

I like the white because it ties every uniform element together, especially when they were still wearing the white socks and white pants with the white jersey. Looked more cohesive. In MY opinion, the gray facemask stuck out too much. When there's no logo on the helmet, the helmet is the logo, and because of that each piece of the helmet should work together IMO. 

I said gray was the second best option so it's not like I hate it. I just prefer white. Why don't I like brown facemasks, the other team color? I don't know. I just don't. I feel like it's not visible enough. They look like Syracuse when Donovan McNabb was there. 

donovan-mcnabb-at-syracuse.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

4 minutes ago, selby56 said:

There really needs to be a thread just for facemask arguments. 

I would honestly love if there was a thread dedicated solely to facemasks, populated by the endless thousands of comments from over the years.  It would easily be hundreds of pages long at this point.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

On 9/9/2019 at 9:41 AM, McCarthy said:

spacer.png

If I had to make a prediction today, I think this is exactly what the 2020 uniforms look like, only with the small wordmark changed to the current version. White jersey would have brown numbers (all other accents stay the same as pictured here), and three pants options are introduced: brown and white with o-b-o stripe pattern, b-o-b for orange pants. Third jersey is current color rush with updated wordmark, no orange jersey.

20 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Bolded: I DISAGREE 

I like the white because it ties every uniform element together, especially when they were still wearing the white socks and white pants with the white jersey. Looked more cohesive. In MY opinion, the gray facemask stuck out too much. When there's no logo on the helmet, the helmet is the logo, and because of that each piece of the helmet should work together IMO. 

I said gray was the second best option so it's not like I hate it. I just prefer white. Why don't I like brown facemasks, the other team color? I don't know. I just don't. I feel like it's not visible enough. They look like Syracuse when Donovan McNabb was there. 

donovan-mcnabb-at-syracuse.jpg

Did you just say a white FACEMASK ties the entire uniform together?  Gray, by definition, lacks color, dull, lacks boldness, lacks character, gloomy.  It's gray.  It can't stick out...

29 minutes ago, CitizenTino said:

If I had to make a prediction today, I think this is exactly what the 2020 uniforms look like, only with the small wordmark changed to the current version. White jersey would have brown numbers (all other accents stay the same as pictured here), and three pants options are introduced: brown and white with o-b-o stripe pattern, b-o-b for orange pants. Third jersey is current color rush with updated wordmark, no orange jersey.

I don't hate it.  Now make everything that is brown > white and everything that is white > brown.

7 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

Did you just say a white FACEMASK ties the entire uniform together? 

Yes because it does. There's other white elements on the uniform. A white facemask looks like it belong with the uniform. 

Gray, by definition, lacks color, lacks boldness, lacks character.  It's gray.  It can't stick out...

Yes it absolutely can. There are no gray elements anywhere else so the gray leaps out at me and it's the only thing I can focus on. The same has always been true for me for the Cardinals and 49ers gray facemasks. 

Where does the definition of gray say it lacks color? It is a color. It's a different color than white and that color is present nowhere else on the uniform. There's only two reasons to use a gray facemask and that is to 1. give the appearance of a vintage uniform or 2. because it's one of your colors. If anything, on a uniform without gray anywhere else, the gray facemask was a choice made to grab attention, to say "THIS IS A THROWBACK UNIFORM SEE WE'RE USING A GRAY FACEMASK." 

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Where does the definition of gray say it lacks color? It is a color. It's a different color than white and that color is present nowhere else on the uniform. There's only two reasons to use a gray facemask and that is to 1. give the appearance of a vintage uniform or 2. because it's one of your colors. If anything, on a uniform without gray anywhere else, the gray facemask was a choice made to grab attention, to say "THIS IS A THROWBACK UNIFORM SEE WE'RE USING A GRAY FACEMASK." 

What better team to do that than the expansion Browns? The whole identity is trying to emulate an old team, so why not go all-in and emulate the oldest and most successful incarnations of said team (before white facemasks and orange pants)?

Just now, SFGiants58 said:

What better team to do that than the expansion Browns? The whole identity is trying to emulate an old team, so why not go all-in and emulate the oldest and most successful incarnations of said team (before white facemasks and orange pants)?

I'm not saying it was inappropriate for the Browns. I'm saying that I prefer white facemasks for the previously stated reasons and that the only reason the Browns went to gray facemasks was explicitly so it'd make the statement that it was a vintage looking throwback uniform rendering the argument that a gray facemask "can't stick out" to be logically invalid. That color facemask was chosen to be noticed. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

23 hours ago, CLEstones said:

I agree. I think the white facemask makes it look very 90s. In a bad way. 

Honestly i think their previous uniforms were close to perfect. 

If they do go back to a gray mask, black cleats are a must imo. Gray masks (excluding teams like Dal, Oak, etc.) should always be paired with black cleats. Alabama does it best. 

3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Yes because it does. There's other white elements on the uniform. A white facemask looks like it belong with the uniform. 

Yes it absolutely can. There are no gray elements anywhere else so the gray leaps out at me and it's the only thing I can focus on. The same has always been true for me for the Cardinals and 49ers gray facemasks. 

You can't compare the Cardinals look to the Browns.  The Cardinals have ultra modern uniforms, following some of the worst trends of the 00's.  So, naturally, an ultra modern design with a vintage facemask is going to be jarring.

When it comes to the 49ers, also not a fair comparison.  Their throwbacks with the gray facemasks are gorgeous.  Hell, even their current set with the metallic lid and gray facemask looks great because they have a vintage style of uniform.

EDIT:

I can't think of one example where a white facemask looks better than color/gray, where white isn't a primary color of the uniform team.  Miami, KC, Rams are basically 2-color teams that look good with white, due to their lack of dominant 3rd color.  You could argue MIA with teal and KC with red would be upgraded looks.

1 hour ago, CLEstones said:

EDIT:

I can't think of one example where a white facemask looks better than color/gray, where white isn't a primary color of the uniform team.  Miami, KC, Rams are basically 2-color teams that look good with white, due to their lack of dominant 3rd color.  You could argue MIA with teal and KC with red would be upgraded looks.

I think I mentioned it in a different thread, I think Miami looked best with the aqua/teal face mask, but I think with the current uniform set they have, the white looks fine as it is. I think the teal/aqua color they have now wouldn’t look good since it’s a brighter shade than what they had. The Chiefs I can see going with a red face mask, it would be similar to what ISU looks like now.spacer.png

5 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Where does the definition of gray say it lacks color?

Welllllllll....

If by gray, you mean the middle mixture of black and white...

Here's where, for one;

https://education.seattlepi.com/not-list-black-white-colors-physics-3426.html

"The correspondence of a color to a specific wavelength is called spectral color. White and black are excluded from this definition because they do not have specific wavelengths. White is not defined as a color because it is the sum of all possible colors. Black is not defined as a color because it is the absence of light, and therefore color."

37 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Welllllllll....

If by gray, you mean the middle mixture of black and white...

Here's where, for one;

https://education.seattlepi.com/not-list-black-white-colors-physics-3426.html

"The correspondence of a color to a specific wavelength is called spectral color. White and black are excluded from this definition because they do not have specific wavelengths. White is not defined as a color because it is the sum of all possible colors. Black is not defined as a color because it is the absence of light, and therefore color."

I mean gray as in a color of a piece of sports equipment, which is what we’re talking about here.  

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, WBeltz said:

I think I mentioned it in a different thread, I think Miami looked best with the aqua/teal face mask, but I think with the current uniform set they have, the white looks fine as it is. I think the teal/aqua color they have now wouldn’t look good since it’s a brighter shade than what they had. The Chiefs I can see going with a red face mask, it would be similar to what ISU looks like now.

spacer.png

Ah yes, the Iowa State Bugles. 

204126.jpg&height=475&width=475

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Archived