2020 MLB Season

Dynasty

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These decisions need to be taken out of the sports leagues' / owners' hands.  More municipalities - or states - or even the federal govt - should put the restrictions in place so that no owner has to choose between making $ and doing the right thing, and no fan has to choose between being out a lot of money vs entering a potentially unhealthy situation.

I certainly don't know what the right call is here, but it would sure seem like the empty arena option is best, since there's no telling if/when postponed games would ever be able to be replayed.  I feel strongly for the stadium workers, and hope that the teams can figure out some way to pay them, but it just feels like the right thing.

I wish the Phillies would issue some kind of statement, since people are now dying here and they're possibly reopening a recently-closed hospital and making it just for coronavirus patients.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Playing in empty stadiums only works if that league can offset the loss of money from attendance with money from somewhere else.  MLB, NBA, NHL and (maybe) MLS (although I am not certain about that one) could do that.  A league like the WNBA probably can't be able to do that and would have to delay or postpone the whole season.  

23 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

These decisions need to be taken out of the sports leagues' / owners' hands.  More municipalities - or states - or even the federal govt - should put the restrictions in place so that no owner has to choose between making $ and doing the right thing, and no fan has to choose between being out a lot of money vs entering a potentially unhealthy situation.

I certainly don't know what the right call is here, but it would sure seem like the empty arena option is best, since there's no telling if/when postponed games would ever be able to be replayed.  I feel strongly for the stadium workers, and hope that the teams can figure out some way to pay them, but it just feels like the right thing.

I wish the Phillies would issue some kind of statement, since people are now dying here and they're possibly reopening a recently-closed hospital and making it just for coronavirus patients.

Who is dying in this area? There are the first known cases just coming up in Philadelphia and the lone person to die from the virus in NJ is in Bergen County.

38 minutes ago, JayMac said:

Who is dying in this area? There are the first known cases just coming up in Philadelphia and the lone person to die from the virus in NJ is in Bergen County.

I misunderstood something I read earlier.  You're correct, the only reported death so far was in S Jersey.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just now, BringBackTheVet said:

I misunderstood something I read earlier.  You're correct, the only reported death so far was in S Jersey.  

The way things are being updated, I wouldn't have been surprised if what you said was the case. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I grilled out at work today.  Had a beer while working, too.

It wasn't the same 😞

I worked from home today knowing that I was supposed to have the day off to drive to Baltimore to drink beer, eat hot dogs and see the O's get clobbered by the Yankees.

It most definitely wasn't the same.

So.... if the season is shortened, or even cancelled altogether, the players will still accumulate service time and will become free agents if they needed one more year.  Not sure how it works with the whole thing about being called up before some date in may (teams intentionally hold top prospects down until that date so that they don't get a full year of time up front) but there may be guys going to FA without having any recent stats to base their abilities on.

1 minute ago, BringBackTheVet said:

So.... if the season is shortened, or even cancelled altogether, the players will still accumulate service time and will become free agents if they needed one more year.  Not sure how it works with the whole thing about being called up before some date in may (teams intentionally hold top prospects down until that date so that they don't get a full year of time up front) but there may be guys going to FA without having any recent stats to base their abilities on.

It will be strange if front offices have to base some players' abilities on the their 2019 AAA stats.

Fox Sports Ohio has been airing the Reds wins in the 1975 World Series the last two nights and will show games 5 and 7 the next two nights, which I love because the only game you ever hear about from that series is Game 6. I've been so sports starved that I've watched every pitch. 

Notes and Observations:

- every player is tiny, or fat, or tiny and fat. Most of them are slow. Like really really slow. 

- the pitchers are all bad at pitching. Modern batters would crush these guys. 

- really nice to watch a game where the batters don't have any interest in working counts or stepping out for 35 seconds after every pitch to Nomar their gloves. Most guys aren't even wearing batting gloves. Same hurry up thing for the pitchers. Bill Lee pitched Game 2 like he had a 9:30 reservation to get to (he probably did). 

- Also really nice to watch a game where a play happens, a call is made, and everyone just kind of moves on. There's no pointing to the dugout asking for replays, the TV broadcast doesn't really worry too much about whether the call was right or not. It was simpler and I kind of miss it. 

- the umpires in Boston wore some handsome burgundy blazers with navy blue slacks. 

- every time they show an old person in the crowd I think, "that guy's dead". 

- I didn't realize how shaky things started for the Reds in the series (because all you ever hear about is Game 6). They lost Game 1 6-0 and were down to their final out in game 2 before a 9th inning rally. And this is coming into the series where the Reds hadn't won a World Series in 35 years and the core of the Big Red Machine had lost World Series in 72 (dropped game 7 at home) and 70 and choked in 5 games in the 73 NLCS to an 82 win Mets team that had no business beating them. They had a bit of a choker's complex to overcome at the time. In 76 they had no confidence issues and swept the playoffs. 

- The Red Sox actually outscored the Reds 30-29 in the series. 

- Pete Rose is an annoying dork. Oh I got a walk let me sprint to first base like a tryhard dork. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, _J_ said:

Yes he is, but imagine if all the players did this now? Would speed things up.

Would it? The pitcher is still walking around preparing for the next batter, the next batter is still walking to the plate, etc. The guy running or slowly trotting to first doesn't really change when the next pitch is thrown. Now, modern guys taking time to remove their protective equipment before running to first slows things down. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

So Justin Turner suggests something to help games be shorter...lets do a HR derby instead of extra innings

Dodgers' Justin Turner proposes HR derby to end extra-inning games

"Instead of playing 17 innings, you get one extra inning, you play the 10th inning, and no one scores, then you go to a home run derby," Turner said Wednesday on Spectrum SportsNet. "You take each team's three best hitters and you give them all five outs and see who hits the most homers."

9 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

So Justin Turner suggests something to help games be shorter...lets do a HR derby instead of extra innings

Dodgers' Justin Turner proposes HR derby to end extra-inning games

Has he been doing toughman contests as a side hustle? What else would explain the brain damage exhibited by this idea?

34 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Has he been doing toughman contests as a side hustle? What else would explain the brain damage exhibited by this idea?

It's not unlike a hockey or soccer shootout or Elam Rule equivalent.

I'd be into it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

It's not unlike a hockey or soccer shootout or Elam Rule equivalent.

I'd be into it.

It kind of is, though.  Hockey and soccer's tie-breaking methods use things that are actually a part of the game, even if they happen somewhat rarely.  At no point in a baseball game do pitchers start throwing batting practice pitches to hitters.

What's wrong with ties?  If extra inning games are a problem, which I don't think they are (just leave the game or turn it off at some point, it's just one game of 162), call it a tie at some point.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived