The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Pauly

1 hour ago, Walk-Off said:

An indigenous group's territory, huh?  I guess that Dana White would then be able to save both the money needed to buy an island and the time that would have to be spent in finding a country or colony that is willing to be very lenient toward activities on a private island within its boundaries.

Yeah but where are the ringside doctors going to come from?  Where are they going to take the fighters that get their faces pounded or bones broken?  The medical community has better things to worry about (not dying being the biggest) than people who voluntarily injure themselves.  It's incredibly selfish no matter where he stages these events, and a slap in the face to the families of people who are dying or can't get tested.

Screw him.  He, and anyone else that tries to work around social distancing, is a murderer and should be tried as such.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, infrared41 said:

Good luck with that. The novelty of games with no fans will wear off pretty quickly. What MLB execs probably see as a "return to normalcy" will actually be a constant reminder of how messed up things are. My guess is they will be pretty disappointed with the TV ratings. I could be wrong, but I'm betting that not a lot of people will want to watch this every day.

It'll be like every game is a Marlins game.

Seriously though, at least a few players have said that they're "out" of this - Phillies Zach Wheeler being one, because he has his first child due in July, and doesn't want to be in a bubble through that.  Granted, he was a FA that just signed a life-changing contract, and the prospect of losing that money might change things (plus, it's not like he'd be allowed in the delivery room or even to touch the baby in the hospital), but life should always take precedent over sports, and I've been hearing people on TV/radio saying "they need to do this for their country, and that's more important than family", which just shows why SPORTS can at times bring out the absolute worst in society, specifically ours.  Now, I honestly believe that it's a vocal minority that are saying those things, so I'm not condemning an entire country, but it disappoints me that there's even one person that thinks a player should sacrifice being there for his family in whatever limited capacity he's able to so that he can play baseball for fat sweathogs to watch on TV (and let's be honest - BET on.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Yeah but where are the ringside doctors going to come from?  Where are they going to take the fighters that get their faces pounded or bones broken?  The medical community has better things to worry about (not dying being the biggest) than people who voluntarily injure themselves.  It's incredibly selfish no matter where he stages these events, and a slap in the face to the families of people who are dying or can't get tested.

Screw him.  He, and anyone else that tries to work around social distancing, is a murderer and should be tried as such.

AEW fans will protect Tony Khan and Cody Rhodes at all costs.  They will let Vince McMahon be fed to the wolves, which will only make him stronger.  

If even one doctor has to lift even one finger to help even one UFC fighter, Dana White should be imprisoned.

I was hoping the fight would be on Little St. Jeff's. No one else is using it anymore, and the occult sex temple would lend a cool ambiance.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

13 hours ago, pmoehrin said:

Have a friend who is hardcore into UFC and has been talking about this for almost a month now.

Let’s just say he’s not taking the news well.

Dana won't listen to health experts.... but rather Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck.

Also, maybe tell your friend to check his or her priorities. 

I saw, I came, I left.

14 hours ago, GDAWG said:

However, Mortal Kombat is still in the plans:

"I'm going to take care of as many people as I possibly can" - except for the healthcare workers and non-essential personnell that he was going to put unnecessary strain and stress on, and subject to risks unlike what we've seen.  

Dana White is breathing trash, as is anyone who thought it was a good idea to carry on this event and that it was good on him to find loopholes in the public-safety rules.

What's even sadder are the people who are defending him and are oblivious to the harsh realities of the world outside their bubbles. I actually do appreciate the driven personality of a Dana White, but there is a very thick line between being driven and being reckless. 

I saw, I came, I left.

1 hour ago, DEAD! said:

Also, maybe tell your friend to check his or her priorities. 

It’s what happens when your single and in your 30’s with no prospects.

As I told my wife, when baby doesn’t get his bottle, baby starts crying. Doesn't matter what else is going on.

15 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

What's even sadder are the people who are defending him and are oblivious to the harsh realities of the world outside their bubbles. I actually do appreciate the driven personality of a Dana White, but there is a very thick line between being driven and being reckless. 

That's exactly right.  Oh sure - he has some admirable qualities, but when you're 100% focused on one thing and have no ability to see the world from "outside your bubble", you need to have people around you, or at least a consigliere that can provide that check and balance without fear for being fired for not being a yes man.  His plan was more than just reckless - it was despicable. 

"I'm sorry to say, I don't expect to have any sports games until at least Thanksgiving, and we'd be lucky to have them by Thanksgiving. This is not something that's going to be easy to do."

- Dr. Jeffrey Smith, M.D., J.D.
County Executive Officer
County of Santa Clara

Business Insider is reporting that a Santa Clara County official has indicated that sporting events in said jurisdiction are unlikely to take place again until late November. Santa Clara County is home to the San Francisco 49ers, San Jose Earthquakes, and San Jose Sharks major professional franchises, the San Jose Giants minor pro team, and intercollegiate athletic teams at institutions including Santa Clara University, San Jose State University, and Stanford University.

A Bay Area county official said sporting events like San Francisco 49ers home games are unlikely to resume until late November due to the coronavirus

3 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

"I'm sorry to say, I don't expect to have any sports games until at least Thanksgiving, and we'd be lucky to have them by Thanksgiving. This is not something that's going to be easy to do."

County Executive Officer
County of Santa Clara

Business Insider is reporting that a Santa Clara County official has indicated that sporting events in said jurisdiction are unlikely to take place again until late November. Santa Clara County is home to the San Francisco 49ers, San Jose Earthquakes, and San Jose Sharks major professional franchises, the San Jose Giants minor pro team, and intercollegiate athletic teams at institutions including Santa Clara University, San Jose State University, and Stanford University.

A Bay Area county official said sporting events like San Francisco 49ers home games are unlikely to resume until late November due to the coronavirus

There's a part of me that disregards anyone who refers to 'sports games' or 'sport ball'.

He may very well be right. These are weird times.

It's where I sit.

9 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

County Executive Officer
County of Santa Clara

If this is true, I don't think we're getting a 2020 MLB season, period. Unless they want a month-long round robin playoff that all the teams participate in.

9 hours ago, Quillz said:

If this is true, I don't think we're getting a 2020 MLB season, period. Unless they want a month-long round robin playoff that all the teams participate in.

There is a lot of time from now until then. We should see where we are in a month, or even two, before we even try to think about where we will be in the fall.

Archived