Colts to tweak Logo/Unis in 2020

Wentz2Jeffery

"Tweak" I think is the right word for this. 

Like most of it, but I agree with the worry about Black alts coming at some point.

I see what they were going for with the C, but think the execution of that idea could have been better.

With those two concerns, I call it an A- to B+; while also realizing that half of the football fans out there will not notice any changes.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indianapolis Colts Unveil New Secondary Logo And Wordmark, Updated Uniforms

April 13, 2020 - 15:47 PM

The Indianapolis Colts on Monday morning introduced a new secondary logo and wordmark, which will appear on the team’s updated uniforms in 2020. The Indianapolis Colts on Monday morning introduced a new secondary logo and wordmark and made corresponding updates […]

Read More...

I generally like it.  The black is total bullcrap, as we all recognize, but they wear black cleats, so at least there's that.

The new numeral font is great.  The secondary is whatever.  It's not prominent, so I'm not too concerned.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I think this is a great update. I've always loved that number font, and its a great fit for the the Colts. As for the "anvil" swoosh, its more annoying than anything. I don't think it will end up being very noticeable/distracting once we see the uni's on a field.

Kind of surprised they changed the wordmark, as they seemed really proud that they could make the old wordmark the width of the helmet stripe.

Overall they look good. I like the number font. I’d prefer a white facemask, but gray works well too. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The secondary isn't necessary and the new wordmark isn't good. The old wordmark dated back to Baltimore, I'm pretty sure, and I wish they had kept it along with everything else they've kept.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

55 minutes ago, JOEYxFRESCO said:

spacer.png

The black swoosh is dumb. They really don’t need that. I also don’t care for the new word mark. Looks just like every other boring “modern” font teams have been using these days.

XM4KeeA.png

@AndrewMLind in the article on the mothership you mention that the Colts switched to the Vapor Untouchable template, but in the release images the players are still wearing the Elite 51. Did you get info from the team that they’re making that switch, or was that just an assumption?

I was fully expecting them to adopt the VU template full time, so I’m surprised to see the players in the Elite 51 still. Aside from that I love these tweaks, especially the switch to the CR/throwback number font. I also like the new wordmark, though the new secondary logo is a swing and a miss. The black swoosh on the away jersey is pretty stupid, but I can’t get too upset about it. Another notable change is that the helmet numbers now match the new jersey font, but the proportions are taller and thinner than the jersey numbers and the overall size is about the same as the classic helmet numbers:

spacer.png

spacer.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

58 minutes ago, Pharos04 said:

nike is absolutely using it’s logo as an integral part of the design process.

Disgusting

I've been saying that since the the Titans and Jags came out.  They're making themselves inseparable.  Say for example adidas were to take over starting next year - the change in ad logo would be a big difference, since as you said, the swoosh is part of the team's design.

That's not just logo creep - that's brand merger, and it's disgusting.

42 minutes ago, WideRight said:

Nike is 2 for 3 so far.

Do you know how much input, if any, Nike had into this?  Could just be that the Colts directed the whole thing.  Or not - we don't know.  I would wager that Nike at least made the push to change the swoosh color, since that can only benefit them, not the Colts.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just now, ahowe6464 said:

Also, more on the subtle side, I am SO glad they ditched that old flywire template. 

In the release images the jerseys are still the Elite 51 template, but they did get of the flywire.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

This is good. I know Michael Irwin was apart of the design process for the new wordmark and secondary logo. I really enjoy his work.

Big thing for me is the throwback number font, which looks great. The wordmark feels like a solid refresh. I don’t agree that the secondary logo is “forced”. I think it’s clever and will look good on fan apparel. Black swoosh is dumb but pretty harmless, for now....

Things to note:

- Numbers on the back of the helmet will be in the new font

- Grey mask stays, but cleats shown in promo pictures are white

- No stripes on socks (somewhat disappointing)

- font for NOB stays the same. Surprised they didn’t update that to reflect the wordmark.

Overall, I’d give it an A. Most people won’t notice, which is the restraint you would expect from an organization like the Colts. 

1 minute ago, BVZ said:

This is good. I know Michael Irwin was apart of the design process for the new wordmark and secondary logo. I really enjoy his work.

Big thing for me is the throwback number font, which looks great. The wordmark feels like a solid refresh. I don’t agree that the secondary logo is “forced”. I think it’s clever and will look good on fan apparel. Black swoosh is dumb but pretty harmless, for now....

Things to note:

- Numbers on the back of the helmet will be in the new font

- Grey mask stays, but cleats shown in promo pictures are white

- No stripes on socks (somewhat disappointing)

- font for NOB stays the same. Surprised they didn’t update that to reflect the wordmark.

Overall, I’d give it an A. Most people won’t notice, which is the restraint you would expect from an organization like the Colts. 

White shoes might be what Moore was referencing in his IG comment. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Archived