Colts to tweak Logo/Unis in 2020

Wentz2Jeffery

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As expected, they went with the Color Rush font, which is a huge upgrade. Definitely my favorite part of this update.

I wish the facemask could’ve been switched to white. Oh well.

The new wordmark is alright, if not a bit generic. An update to the traditional wordmark would’ve been cool to see. 

Like others have said, the alternate logo is a bit of a swing & miss, especially when they could just rotate the horseshoe to make an easy “C” logo.

The inclusion of the black Nike swoosh is baffling, although pretty harmless.

I also didn’t realize the helmet logo was different than the primary before this update. Interesting.

Overall, I’d say it’s an upgrade, since most of the bad parts about it are miniscule.

The new wordmark is perfectly fine in a vacuum, but it's a weird fit for the Colts. They have a very thin and rounded logo, yet they chose to partner that with a very heavy and square typeface. It's a weird fit to me... I think what makes it worse is the angled crossbar on the "S," which gives the wordmark far more of a modern feel than a traditionl block font. Again, in a vacuum, it's fine, but I don't think that meshes with the historic and traditional Colts very well.

Another aspect I'll miss is the fact that the Colts wordmark on the old helmets was the same width as the stripe, visually continuing it onto the helmet bumper.

gettyimages-1194382193.jpg

Nike, take notes from UA on UCLA stripes:

spacer.png

Other than that, I like the font change. The wordmark is fine (the old one was a bit too old-fashioned, IMHO), while the black swoosh is whatever (please no black alt) and the alternate design is fine. The logo standardization was a good move, but I wish they made the old helmet logo the print design. I do wish the socks had stripes, but oh well. 

Overall, it’s good but could be better.

We all know down the road a anvil black and facemask gray alternate uniforms are coming...thanks Nike woof.

I like the number and font changes. Numbers maybe a touch too big and close together for my tastes but that's about all I got.

No blue pants? I really dug that look from the Harbaugh QB era.

53 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

The secondary logo is very unnecessary. If I were to change anything, it's change it from a 'C' to a 'U'. (Ha! Ha! Grommets. )

nZlvKXP.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

13 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

spacer.png

Other than that, I like the font change. The wordmark is fine (the old one was a bit too old-fashioned, IMHO), while the black swoosh is whatever (please no black alt) and the alternate design is fine. The logo standardization was a good move, but I wish they made the old helmet logo the print design. I do wish the socks had stripes, but oh well. 

Overall, it’s good but could be better.

If UA would just use the Clarendon number font their UCLA jerseys would be perfection.

I LOVE the numbers for the Colts but could do without the intrusive swoosh above the shoulder numbers. As much as it’s still logo creep I prefer the swoosh on the chest

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

7 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

spacer.png

I was just coming on to post that.  It's a shame they didn't take the opportunity to insist that something be done about the cut-off shoulder stripes, as UCLA's most recent uniform proves that the idea that can't be done on a modern uniform is just industry blather. Nike wants to hold on to the illusion that there is something magical about their cookie cutter template, and teams don't care enough to push them.

As for the changes here... the numbers are nice, the retention of the gray mask was a great choice, the lack of socks stripes is unsurprising but disappointing, and the black swoosh is a transparent attempt to make Nike's logo more important. 

Yeah so I'd say

new number font:  definite upgrade

new secondary logo:  forced and unnecessary

new wordmark font:  fine, but I preferred the old one

black swoosh: bad, but I guess I can live with it

Love nearly everything about this upgrade, save for the black swoosh. The new wordmark looks good, but I just don't feel it's as unique as their (now-) old wordmark. A font with a bit more Western feel, maybe? It does look dated now, but I think a 'refresh' of that old wordmark could work.

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

The more I see the logo and the wordmark interact with one another, the more I'm convinced they don't really mesh together:

3j1wjbf.gif

If they make the wordmark letters a little closer to the uniform numbers with bigger serifs and angled-cuts, it feels a lot more natural IMO. 

2 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

As a Colts fan...

Black swoosh on the road - stupid

New wordmark - excellent

Throwback numbers - excellent

I was hoping for some striped socks too, but I can’t complain for the most part (aside from the odd minimal addition of black). They did a lot of good here. 

Also as a Colts fan:

Black swoosh - stupid, but honestly harmless so long as black alternates are never ever a thing. Keep it on the swoosh and nowhere else and it's fine.

New Wordmark - agreed that it's excellent. The old Colt wordmark may be "classic" or have "character" but it also always looked outdated to me. The new one is a quality workmark.

Throwback numbers - also excellent

Secondary Logo - Not great, but assuming it never supplants the horseshoe in any way, shape, or form then I really don't mind it existing. The fact that it's just on the collar of the uniform and not, say, adorning the sleeves means nothing was ruined.

Grey facemask - glad it stayed grey.

More generally, I'm just really glad that the tweaks were just that - tweaks. No major overhaul of a classic, beautiful uniform that didn't really need changes. And if, in fact, the helmet logo now matches the actual primary logo then all the better. 

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

The revised wordmark starts encroaching a little on the Bills' wordmark, if I'm not mistaken.

But you're absolutely right, the logo and wordmark don't match at all. I'm not sure to what extent the old one matched the logo and we just internalized them as going together because they always have, but if you're going to do something new, don't you have to make it all look like it goes together? 

On the numbers: I don't mind them for the Colts, but ideally, it would be the Cowboys using the vintage serif numbers, and I feel like of those two teams, only one can take on that quirk because they're not too far apart, conceptually (royal blue, horse-oriented).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The revised wordmark starts encroaching a little on the Bills' wordmark, if I'm not mistaken.

5031_buffalo_bills-wordmark-2011.png

The Bills don't use block lettering, so I think there's enough difference between the two 

53 minutes ago, kestrel79 said:

We all know down the road a anvil black and facemask gray alternate uniforms are coming...thanks Nike woof.

I like the number and font changes. Numbers maybe a touch too big and close together for my tastes but that's about all I got.

No blue pants? I really dug that look from the Harbaugh QB era.

Blue pants wouldn’t look good without striped socks, IMO. I still don’t understand why Nike hates striped socks so much. 

Archived