Colts to tweak Logo/Unis in 2020

Wentz2Jeffery

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

More accurate depiction of an inevitable black Indy alternate would probably be along the lines of...

spacer.png

You're right, but I think it works better without blue at all. Which is also basically the Raiders, which is itself a great uniform, so maybe the Colts should take any ideas about using black in more than their logo, turn them sideways, and shove them up their candy asses.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Funny story that’s related: when I was a little kid (mid 90’s, about age 5-6), my family had a full encyclopedia set. In the “football” article, they had lots of pictures of different football legends. There was a picture of Johnny Unitas in the white jersey (wearing his helmet too), and was printed in color, but something was off with the print/coloring/lighting and everything that was blue (numbers, stripes, horseshoe) looked black. So as a 5-6 year old I thought the Colts were a strictly black and white team, and it wasn’t until I played Blitz a couple years later that I realized they weren’t. 

I didn’t see any Colts games at that time (seems like only the Broncos, 49ers, or Cowboys were ever on in my house), so I didn’t see them on TV for a while. And as it’d turn out, I became a Colts fan soon after I did start watching them!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

You're right, but I think it works better without blue at all. Which is also basically the Raiders, which is itself a great uniform, so maybe the Colts should take any ideas about using black in more than their logo, turn them sideways, and shove them up their candy asses.

If ya smeeeeellllll!

23 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Old on the left, new on the right.

EVgnR4yXYAII-N_?format=jpg&name=medium

Here's a better explanation of the difference.

This could be a case of them having had slightly different versions of the logo for their helmets (as the Chiefs do).  The logo on the mothership has had those little hooks on the end for years.  

593.png

The actual logo on helmets, however, did not.

andrewluck.jpg

I like the rounder logo, but they should have seized the opportunity to update it with the bigger rivets of the old helmet logo. The rivets almost disappear now

07Giants.pngnyy.png

19 minutes ago, Shumway said:

This has been annoying me, tbh. 

Cathedral High School didn't invent negative space logos. 

Anyone who's ever designed logos has used negative space in some capacity.

Are they similar? Sure, but It's not like they reinvented the wheel, also the detailed squigglies look terrible.

I don't love the Colts alt, but it's definitely rendered better. 

1 hour ago, shaydre1019 said:

This has been annoying me, tbh. 

Cathedral High School didn't invent negative space logos. 

Anyone who's ever designed logos has used negative space in some capacity.

Are they similar? Sure, but It's not like they reinvented the wheel, also the detailed squigglies look terrible.

I don't love the Colts alt, but it's definitely rendered better. 

Perfectly put. I hate the term "stolen" in a case like this, because I guarantee that no designer for this project had even seen this random high school's logo before. Parallel thinking is a common phenomenon in this field, and I guarantee that's what happened here.

spacer.png

33 minutes ago, henburg said:

Perfectly put. I hate the term "stolen" in a case like this, because I guarantee that no designer for this project had even seen this random high school's logo before. Parallel thinking is a common phenomenon in this field, and I guarantee that's what happened here.

While I agree with you guys, this high school is in Indianapolis so you would think someone in the organization (not necessarily the designer) would've at least recognized it and said something. Though I'm almost surprised they didn't twist it into some Nike-speak kind of thing, "This logo is inspired by our local schools, the roots of our community #RootsGrowDeep"

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

So who does this leave with differences between the helmet logo and primary logo (for teams that ostensibly use the same for both)?

The Chiefs are the only one I can think of.

857.png

22094149%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

I have to admit that I had never noticed this about the Chiefs, and I live in Missouri where their stuff is all over the place! I was aware that the Colts helmet logo didn't match the primary logo, but had no idea about the Chiefs.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

1 hour ago, henburg said:

I agree that it's probably just parallel thinking. It's a simple enough concept. But it's not exactly just a random high school. Cathedral is a football powerhouse in Indy. If nobody associated with the Colts had seen it, maybe they should have. 

43 minutes ago, TornadoGTS said:

While I agree with you guys, this high school is in Indianapolis so you would think someone in the organization (not necessarily the designer) would've at least recognized it and said something. Though I'm almost surprised they didn't twist it into some Nike-speak kind of thing, "This logo is inspired by our local schools, the roots of our community #RootsGrowDeep"

4 minutes ago, DPHF said:

I agree that it's probably just parallel thinking. It's a simple enough concept. But it's not exactly just a random high school. Cathedral is a football powerhouse in Indy. If nobody associated with the Colts had seen it, maybe they should have. 

That's a good point, I saw that it was Indiana but didn't realize that it was within Indianapolis proper. I'd guess that the design team (who was probably based in Oregon) never saw this before since they're unfamiliar with the area, so somebody in the organization probably should've pointed it out. At the end of the day, the two can coexist fine.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, henburg said:

Depends on whether the Colts' staff was involved at any level.  The high school had some connection to the Colts - they rent the Colts' practice facilities sometimes - and it's not impossible that the Colts' staff could have noticed the logo at some point.

3 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Depends on whether the Colts' staff was involved at any level.  The high school had some connection to the Colts - they rent the Colts' practice facilities sometimes - and it's not impossible that the Colts' staff could have noticed the logo at some point.

And that is how parallel thinking can get you successfully sued.

Subconscious copyright infringement is very much a real thing, and if it can be shown that you were aware of the thing you're infringing upon, even if you didn't mean to infringe, they can still get you.

See George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" as an example.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

3 hours ago, Shumway said:

Neither logo is very good, so I assume it's just parallel thinking. That said, both use Cs with a serif to make the shape of Indiana, so it's not JUST the use of negative space that makes them similar.

I actually don't mind the more detailed Indiana if not for the extra outlines. 

Archived