Colts to tweak Logo/Unis in 2020

Wentz2Jeffery

54 minutes ago, mafiaman said:

I still find it odd that the podium says “INDIANAPOLIS” instead of “BALTIMORE,” but I’m an old-timer, so, yea...

I still find myself calling them the Baltimore Colts from time to time.  The Raiders have moved 3 times and it never trips me up.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

I guess I missed it but why would the Colts, a team with what I consider to be about as perfect a uniform as there is in the NFL, change anything? Did they get someone new in management? That's the only thing I can think of. Someone new wanting to show they are doing something so they change the look. Honestly, I'm baffled. 

They've made changes before. They swapped out solid blue socks and blue facemasks for striped socks and grey facemasks in the 2000s before they quietly went back to solid blue socks. 

Going back further? They had those blue pants in the 90s that only recently made a comeback. And of course the silver accent debacle in the 80s. 

Large-scale changes are probably (rightly) off the table, but small tweaks are not unprecedented. The guy who first leaked that the Colts would be changing said the changes were very minor, yet noticeable. So I doubt we're going to see anything that fundamentally breaks the Colts' brand. 

If I had to guess? Small tweaks to the logo and/or a new number font. 

14 hours ago, chakfu said:

We always complain about unnecessary accent colors (usually navy/black) so it's interesting to see an awful example from the early 80s.  I always cringe at the brainstormed gray accents for Browns and others.  I'd love to hear anecdote or oral histories about things like this. (I still dream of an oral history for the Nuggets rainbow uni and logo.)

I can see the grey Colts story being everyone saying "I dunno I guess one year they just showed up that way and no one wanted to say anything on account of we already bought 'em"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, mafiaman said:

I still find it odd that the podium says “INDIANAPOLIS” instead of “BALTIMORE,” but I’m an old-timer, so, yea...

They’ve been in Indianapolis longer than they were in Baltimore so...

spacer.png

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

I can see the grey Colts story being everyone saying "I dunno I guess one year they just showed up that way and no one wanted to say anything on account of we already bought 'em"

“Why’d we switch back to no silver? Well, you know Art Schlichter and his little problem. Imagine waking up to find that the jerseys and pants were all gone to cover that bust’s gambling debts!”

46 minutes ago, mafiaman said:

I was 13 when they moved...Baltimore Colts still sounds better than Indianapolis Colts, but that’s just me...

They've been in Indy my entire life. Learning about the NFL's history has given me an appreciation for the idea of the "Baltimore Colts" but it still sounds weird to me. Thank G-d Model and Irsay never came to an agreement to let the old Browns be the Colts when they moved to Baltimore. That would have been so much worse than the Ravens/Cleveland Deal with have now.

At least now we can say the Colts have been in Indy for so long that they belong to that city too, and the Ravens won more Super Bowls for Baltimore than the Colts did. So everyone came out ahead. Except the Browns.

I think "Baltimore Colts" sounds terrific, it's got that rat-a-tat-tat cadence like "Winnipeg Jets." Or, if you prefer to say it with local flavor, "Balmer Coats." 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 3/29/2020 at 1:34 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

So, because words have meaning, and saying something is cool on a website like this offers no insight into WHY it is cool, why not say something like "I like the fact that there is as much of a single color as possible, and the white mask achieves that look" instead of saying 'it's clean'? That way, readers can understand why you (the royal you, not you specifically) like something, which is a lot of what this site is about - sharing opinions about why we like certain things (grey facemasks or monochrome uniforms, for example).

For a different perspective (I’m guessing I’m between you two in age), when I say “clean” I tend to mean something that has enough empty space for my eyes to rest as opposed to something that has a bunch of high contrast design elements and different graphic styles fighting for attention. Details are important because there is a threshold for minimalism in uniforms, however, details are best when they support the base design rather than overshadow it. Keep the design elements and graphic styles few and focused, then only explore adding details to expand and elevate what you have.

Examples:

The Jaguars’ old design was not clean.

The Jaguars new design is too clean.

Adding some details to the new Jaguars’ design might make it just right...

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 3/28/2020 at 11:50 PM, chakfu said:

I'd love to hear anecdote or oral histories about things like this. (I still dream of an oral history for the Nuggets rainbow uni and logo.)

I hope that's not sarcasm ... after all, I realize their/our "Tetris skyline" uniforms are not widely popular 🙄

But if you're serious, I'll give you something to dream about: Fans are of course famiar with the royal blue and deep yellow trim, but in their first two years, the rainbows were a navy blue base with forest green trim...

spacer.png

How I loved these ....

wS7MJ6T.png

On 3/29/2020 at 12:42 PM, hawk36 said:

I guess I missed it but why would the Colts, a team with what I consider to be about as perfect a uniform as there is in the NFL, change anything? Honestly, I'm baffled. 

You're "baffled," really? Think about it: Jets and Colts ... anything? Mono-chromatic! At the very least they're less colorful. By definition. I agree the Colts' duds are classic, but you could probably use just the right shade of grey as contrast trim. Maybe not on jerseys, but pants and sideline gear.

49ers get MAJOR props from me for going back to the classic scarlet red and ditching that awful black trim and deep red. In this era, where it seems mandatory that every NFL team must have either black or navy, it takes real cajones to dump the black. Bills too. Now let's get the Titans back in powder blue and red and the Chargers back in powder blue and deep yellow!

Gotta admit though. As a Broncos fan I should be eternally grateful to the Colts organization for two HOF quarterbacks we couldn't get on our own. Here's some interesting Colts and Stanford quarterback trivia:

COLTS Quarterback History 

1956-72 - Johnny Unitas
1973 - SECOND overall pick - Bert Jones
1982 - FOURTH overall pick - Art Schlicter
1983 - FIRST overall pick - John Elway
1990 - FIRST overall pick - Jeff George
1998 - FIRST overall pick - Peyton Manning
2012 - FIRST overall pick - Andrew Luck

Highest pick Denver ever had was #2, once. Von Miller

Stanford QBs drafted #1 overall

1954 Bobby Garrett
1971 Jim Plunkett
1983 John Elway
2012 Andrew Luck

wS7MJ6T.png

3 hours ago, BroncoBuff said:

You're "baffled," really? Think about it: Jets and Colts ... anything? Mono-chromatic! At the very least they're less colorful. By definition. I agree the Colts' duds are classic, but you could probably use just the right shade of grey as contrast trim. Maybe not on jerseys, but pants and sideline gear.

49ers get MAJOR props from me for going back to the classic scarlet red and ditching that awful black trim and deep red. In this era, where it seems mandatory that every NFL team must have either black or navy, it takes real cajones to dump the black. Bills too. Now let's get the Titans back in powder blue and red and the Chargers back in powder blue and deep yellow!

Gotta admit though. As a Broncos fan I should be eternally grateful to the Colts organization for two HOF quarterbacks we couldn't get on our own. Here's some interesting Colts and Stanford quarterback trivia:

1956-72 - Johnny Unitas

1954 Bobby Garrett
1971 Jim Plunkett
1983 John Elway
2012 Andrew Luck

Well, the Chargers have already announced a return to powder blue and yellow. It would be nice if the Titans would downgrade the navy blue, but seems unlikely. 

3 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Well, the Chargers have already announced a return to powder blue and yellow. It would be nice if the Titans would downgrade the navy blue, but seems unlikely. 

That is good news. Maybe now they'll join the Clippers, and build their own stadium in the suburbs instead of clinging to big Daddy Kroenke's coattails.

And hey, I just saw where the Angels canceled their lease on Anaheim Stadium ... the three of them should ban together for a sports version of 'Garfunkel, Oates and Messina.'

wS7MJ6T.png

On 3/29/2020 at 12:44 PM, Hat Boy said:

I always thought it unusual that the Colts press room podium used to feature a blue helmet.  It doesn't look bad, but it runs counter to 50 years of team history.

usp-nfl_-tony-dungy-press-conference.jpg

When I was a kid (early '70s), I had Colts pajamas with a blue helmet image on them.  I assume it's because the pajamas were white and they wanted some contrast (unlike the podium).

On 3/29/2020 at 10:37 AM, 8BW14 said:

Huh, I knew about the Colts silver pants debacle, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen the white uniforms with the silver in the striping and number trim.

Along with the weird Chargers pants with the single blue stripe, that’s the second NFL uniform I’ve never seen before this week.

There is a good chance you saw them and just didn't notice.  The silver was almost unnoticeable on the white uniforms at any kind of distance.

On 3/29/2020 at 4:15 PM, mafiaman said:

I still have a hard time with it . . . 36 years later.  😡

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

7 hours ago, BroncoBuff said:

1956-72 - Johnny Unitas

1954 Bobby Garrett
1971 Jim Plunkett