Sports things you DON'T miss.

TrueYankee26

As a response to this thread, here we list what we do not miss from the old days of sports.

Some off the top of my head:

I DON'T miss the days where all the March Madness games were on CBS and thus regional. Ever since CBS teamed up with Turner (TNT, TBS and TruTV), every single game can be seen on TV.

I DON'T miss the days before the designated hitter.

I DON'T miss the previous format of the Home Run Derby, the new time limit system has vastly improved the event.

I DON'T miss the pass interference instant replay rule which only existed because of the backlash of the non-PI call in the 2018 NFC title game. No rule is going to mask trash refereeing which has plagued the NFL for years.

When it eventually gets phased out, I WON'T miss the one helmet rule, and we can finally see alternate helmets used again, which means more throwback jerseys.

• Like 1

I don't miss ties in hockey. 

I don't miss teal and purple being popular colors. Yes, as a 90s kid I know this is blasphemy, but y'all can bite me.

I don't miss the NHL lacking a salary cap. I'm glad I never grew up when the NFL lacked a salary cap. 

I don't miss the Arena Football League. 

I don't miss MLS teams playing in NFL stadiums. 

I don't miss Dennis Miller on Monday Night Football. 

I don't miss being a fan of a team that always dominated in the regular season but whiffed in the playoffs. Derrick Thomas deserved at least one Super Bowl ring. 

EDIT: It's not something I don't miss (because I barely remember it being a thing) but until I saw games from the 70s and 80s, I always thought it was weird that my Dad would ask me what the score was. When I finally did see said games, it became a lot more understandable. Thank God for scorebugs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

I DON'T miss the days where all the March Madness games were on CBS and thus regional. Ever since CBS teamed up with Turner (TNT, TBS and TruTV), every single game can be seen on TV.

The past 10 years are a godsend for things like this

-Every March Madness game on TV, especially when dealing with local affiliates being locked into one game. It was no big deal my freshman year in Syracuse when they stuck to Syracuse and Cornell's cinderella run, but here in the NYC market you can get stuck with any one of St. John's, Seton Hall, the bunch of low-major NYC schools, and pretty much any school within the quadrant of Rider-Marist-Fairfield-Stony Brook. March Madness on Demand was fine, but it's so much better once Turner joined the fray

-NFL RedZone becoming the antidote to having just 3 games on TV, which here in the NYC market means "Jets, Giants, and probably the 4:25 Fox Cowboys game". I know there's NFL Sunday Ticket but the NFL's insistence on having everything exclusive from over the top packages to video games cancels that out, not to mention how much more expensive it is. Plus for as much as they promote it as a fantasy football channel that's geared to offense, it's really more of being the TV remote for you and shows you pretty much everything. Best sports TV invention since the scorebug (in before someone says in the other thread they miss watching games without scorebugs)

-Every Stanley Cup Playoff game on TV without having on NHL Center Ice (which FWIW I am a 17 year subscriber of, but that obviously doesn't apply to everyone). Yes, NBC can get ridiculous with channel selection, but having every game available on national TV one way or another is a nice thing to have that's surprisingly a recent development.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

1 hour ago, RyanMcD29 said:

The past 10 years are a godsend for things like this

-Every March Madness game on TV, especially when dealing with local affiliates being locked into one game. It was no big deal my freshman year in Syracuse when they stuck to Syracuse and Cornell's cinderella run, but here in the NYC market you can get stuck with any one of St. John's, Seton Hall, the bunch of low-major NYC schools, and pretty much any school within the quadrant of Rider-Marist-Fairfield-Stony Brook. March Madness on Demand was fine, but it's so much better once Turner joined the fray

-NFL RedZone becoming the antidote to having just 3 games on TV, which here in the NYC market means "Jets, Giants, and probably the 4:25 Fox Cowboys game". I know there's NFL Sunday Ticket but the NFL's insistence on having everything exclusive from over the top packages to video games cancels that out, not to mention how much more expensive it is. Plus for as much as they promote it as a fantasy football channel that's geared to offense, it's really more of being the TV remote for you and shows you pretty much everything. Best sports TV invention since the scorebug (in before someone says in the other thread they miss watching games without scorebugs)

-Every Stanley Cup Playoff game on TV without having on NHL Center Ice (which FWIW I am a 17 year subscriber of, but that obviously doesn't apply to everyone). Yes, NBC can get ridiculous with channel selection, but having every game available on national TV one way or another is a nice thing to have that's surprisingly a recent development.

Yes, Yes and Yes!

I don’t miss the Baseball Network, even though it was for just one season thanks to the strike, worst idea in sports to have all the playoff games regionalized.

I don’t miss the Atlanta Braves and Cincinnati Reds being in the NL West, the Chicago Cubs and St. Louis Cardinals being in the NL East, the Arizona Cardinals being in the NFC East and the Atlanta Falcons and Carolina Panthers being in the NFC West.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Red Comet said:

I don't miss ties in hockey. 

I am definitely the opposite of this, because I hate the shootout and I hate the 3-on-3 OT.

• Like 5

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

3 hours ago, nelroy78 said:

I don’t miss the Baseball Network, even though it was for just one season thanks to the strike, worst idea in sports to have all the playoff games regionalized.

I don’t miss the Atlanta Braves and Cincinnati Reds being in the NL West, the Chicago Cubs and St. Louis Cardinals being in the NL East, the Arizona Cardinals being in the NFC East and the Atlanta Falcons and Carolina Panthers being in the NFC West.

The Baseball Network actually lasted two seasons, 1994 and 1995.

• Like 1

UBwef0L.png

17 hours ago, -kj said:

I am definitely the opposite of this, because I hate the shootout and I hate the 3-on-3 OT.

I'm on board with this sentiment as well. My thinking is, if you can't have Ties games, then why the need for LOSER Points? Back in the day, giving each Team a point for finishing the Game Tied made sense, because the Game didn't need a winner / loser. The League now mandates that games have a Winner and Loser.

A win is counted as a Win no matter when you Win said game (Regulation, OT, Shoot out)
SO
Why is a loss not counted as a Loss no matter when you Lose said game (Regulation, OT, Shoot out)

W - L - OTL, why no category for OTW then? What's that, a win is counted as a Win but a Loss is not counted as a Loss...WTF??

3 Points for a Regulation Win / 0 points for Loss
2 Points for a OT Win / 0 points for Loss
1 Point for a Shoot Out Win / 0 points for Loss

I don't hate the 3 on 3 OT but I don't like it either. I tolerate the 3 on 3 better than I do the kindergarten schoolyard shoot out crap

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Fitzy0220 said:

3 Points for a Regulation Win / 0 points for Loss
2 Points for a OT Win / 0 points for Loss
1 Point for a Shoot Out Win / 0 points for Loss

If you're going to stick with the carnival games after regulation, I'd prefer what the IIHF does these days, which is similar.  They give 3 points for a regulation win, but an OT/shootout win gives 2 to the winner and 1 to the loser.  Every game is still worth 3 points.

• Like 8

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

On 5/23/2020 at 10:22 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

This might be #1 for me.  They would just cut to 60 Minutes or the mid-day local news break while games were still being played and would focus almost entirely on the “feature game” regardless of what was going on in it and the other games.

Unpopular opinion, but I don’t miss baseball infields on football fields.

I don’t miss the NFL’s sideline catch rule where the official tried to determine whether the receiver would have landed in bounds if not pushed by the defender.

I don’t miss the pre-BCS national championship vote where bowl tie-ins hampered the best matchups.

LA as the NFL’s stadium extortion threat.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)