Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Beer Barrel Man said:

Like we need another f-ing animal team name. 😠

But seriously, why Redwolves? Is there any kind of significance to the region? Because I'm unaware. 

Pretty sure it’s a regional thing. I’m from the surrounding region and I’ve never heard of wolves in the area. It’s mostly hyped up because it retains the “HTTR” the team had for so many years. There’s honestly nothing remotely good about “Redwolves” anyway.

3 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

If I had to rank it though I'd say....

1. Fans that want a new name
  2. Fans that want Re****ns back
  3. Fans that want to keep Washington Football Team permanently
  4. Fans that don't give a 🤬 what the name is

I'm surprised that "keep Washington Football Team" is 3rd instead of 4th but not surprised by the top two. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, Beer Barrel Man said:

And it's grown on me for that very reason. 😛 Makes it unique in this football. 

Unique doesn't equate with good. The Jags two-toned helmet was unique for the NFL, and it also sucked.

It's where I sit.

14 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

Does the name really need to begin with 'R'? "Wolves" sounds better than Redwolves. 

Washington Wolves sounds a bit better? Maybe? But, there's something very amateurish about the name Wolves that I don't like. It seems like it's either everyone's High School mascot or a go to minor league name.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

2 minutes ago, kimball said:

Washington Wolves sounds a bit better? Maybe? But, there's something very amateurish about the name Wolves that I don't like. It seems like it's either everyone's High School mascot or a go to minor league name.

Just like Redwolves. Either way you’re suckered into rooting for a bland and unimaginative team name.

I was at a family function with my sister's in-laws last Sunday. We had the Bears game on and everyone was having a chuckle at "the Washington Football Team" while going ahead and still calling them the R*dskins in reference to the out-of-town scores and the bets they had on them. These are not cross-burning people, just suburbanites who don't participate in The Discourse like we do. This is what I thought would happen all along if they didn't immediately burn the entire identity to the ground, and so it did. You're going to have to call them something that not only starts with R but starts with "Red," and just put up with people calling them the old name like a venue that resold its naming rights. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

48 minutes ago, BeardedFool said:

Red Wolves are a real species that was once native to the DC area, and much of the southeast United States.  They've since been extirpated from all of their native lands.  Very on-brand for the Washington Football Team nicknames.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_wolf

They might be. The taxonomy of Canis lupus rufus/Canis rufus/Canis lupus × Canis latrans is a labyrinth of conflicting conclusions.

Besides, so many goddamned teams use "Wolves" that it feels like "Redwolves" would be closer to "Golden Knights" in that it's another "Wolves" name, just with a prefix slapped on.

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

I'm surprised that "keep Washington Football Team" is 3rd instead of 4th but not surprised by the top two. 

In fairness, most people in the "don't care what the name is" category also don't care enough about the issue to post online about it at this point. Could vary well be the true majority opinion 🤷🏾‍♂️

Hotter Than July > Thriller

46 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

They might be. The taxonomy of Canis lupus rufus/Canis rufus/Canis lupus × Canis latrans is a labyrinth of conflicting conclusions.

Besides, so many goddamned teams use "Wolves" that it feels like "Redwolves" would be closer to "Golden Knights" in that it's another "Wolves" name, just with a prefix slapped on.

You say "mutt,*" I say America is a melting pot and should be accepting of all kinds.

How many teams use Wolves though? We've got a couple of Wolfpack/Wolf Pack teams, Lobos and Red Wolves in FBS, and a minor league hockey team of some sorts called the Chicago Wolves. There really aren't that many Wolves in my experience. It's weird because it feels like there are a ton of Wolves because Wolves seems like it would be obvious animal name fodder along with Huskies, Bulldogs, Wildcats, Panthers, Cougars, etc. It just isn't though.

*You never said that, but shush. Also, Red Wolves. Y'all are killing me.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

I was at a family function with my sister's in-laws last Sunday. We had the Bears game on and everyone was having a chuckle at "the Washington Football Team" while going ahead and still calling them the R*dskins in reference to the out-of-town scores and the bets they had on them. These are not cross-burning people, just suburbanites who don't participate in The Discourse like we do. This is what I thought would happen all along if they didn't immediately burn the entire identity to the ground, and so it did. You're going to have to call them something that not only starts with R but starts with "Red," and just put up with people calling them the old name like a venue that resold its naming rights. 

They'll get used to whatever the name is regardless. It's not like Washington's football team has been relevant for more than a season in the past thirty-ish years.

7 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

In fairness, most people in the "don't care what the name is" category also don't care enough about the issue to post online about it at this point. Could vary well be the true majority opinion 🤷🏾‍♂️

A couple weeks ago I was at an eye exam and was wearing a R******* facemask (bought it well before the change). A man came up to me and asked my thoughts on the change. All I said was “it is what it is” and shrugged my shoulders. I didn’t feel like having a convo at that point in time. Later on as he was leaving, he shouted “Go Skins! Or oops I mean... whatever they are!” He was for sure pro R*******. For the record, I’m happy with whatever name they choose as long as it’s in good taste and the identity is well done.

1 hour ago, Red Wolf said:

The thing that bothers me most is that you people keep writing it as Redwolves when it should be Red Wolves.

You could argue the previous name should have been two separated words instead of one.

26 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

The only pro team I've known of as the Wolves in my 34 years of life are the Minnesota Timberwolves. As far as college sports go, never heard of any program called the wolves until I was introduced to (Division 2) Cheyney University in 1998. Didn't hear of another college program with wolves in their name until Arkansas State changed their team name. None of the youth or high school teams in my area were called the wolves.

Are you including teams called the Wolf Pack/Wolfpack?

Just speaking on my experience,  "wolves" has not been a common team name in my life. Hasn't been anywhere near the same tier as the mega popular names like wildcats, bulldogs, eagles, hawks, tigers or panthers.

Perhaps that's the reason Redwolves is an easy pill for me to swallow. Wolves has been a rare team name in my life. Hmmm. I'll be damned 🤷🏾‍♂️

Hotter Than July > Thriller

7 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

A couple weeks ago I was at an eye exam and was wearing a R******* facemask (bought it well before the change). A man came up to me and asked my thoughts on the change. All I said was “it is what it is” and shrugged my shoulders. I didn’t feel like having a convo at that point in time. Later on as he was leaving, he shouted “Go Skins! Or oops I mean... whatever they are!” He was for sure pro R*******. For the record, I’m happy with whatever name they choose as long as it’s in good taste and the identity is well done.

This reminds me of the time I accidentally got sucked into a conversation with a neighbor and the first thing they wanted to talk about were the protests in Minneapolis. I knew then that my decision to never talk to anybody about anything ever was the one that God had always intended.

4 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

You could argue the previous name should have been two separated words instead of one.

That might be true. But also, somebody in Jonesboro, Ark. established that Red Wolves needs a spacebar. Also, is it spacebar or space bar? I get red squiggly lines with spacebar, but that seems right. What is anything?

Archived