rjrrzube

Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

It'd be another simple and easily-familiar option for them to go with. "Redwolves" is fine, but red wolves are basically just the mutts of the wolves. Plus, I'm kinda stunned we don't have a hawk team yet in the NFL. We have eagles, crows, cardinals, falcons and osprey, but not a hawk.

Sounds to me like there's a glut of bird names and a lack of canine names 😁

 

35 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

"Redwolves" is fine

"Redwolves" is better than any other alternative presented so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sport said:

The W they created is actually pretty sharp. Slap that badboy on the lids and call it a day. 

 

I hate that W! 

 

I've been trying to find a font whose R looks like the hat R so I can make a W with that. Best I could do was Kelsey Script, and it's still coming up well short: 

 

5kF03RO.jpg

 

meh. I know where I want to go but I'm not quite getting there. Can't just recolor the Nats' Walgreens logo, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was a kiddo, I was really confused about the difference between Washington DC and Washington State, in large part because of Washington, DC-based sports.

 

Now is as good as time as any for WFT to rebrand using D.C. I think "D.C." sounds cooler than "Washington," and is easier to abbreviate in most uses. Plus, it's a clean break from a problematic name in a way that "Washington ______" never will be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe, but it's a bugbear of mine when teams who all play in the same area have different location names (SF/Golden State, Denver/Colorado, Miami/Florida, Phoenix/Arizona, Dallas/Texas). As far as I've ever wanted to go with Washington/D.C. was the Nats exclusively using the interlocking DC on their caps while still being named the Washington Nationals (and if the Caps can come up with a DC secondary, that's fine too). 

 

The window closed on disposing of the rest of the brand if it were ever even open in the first place. I think opponents of the name have come to see themselves as a conquering and occupying force in the team's culture, and I mean, how could they not, they've been on this for years and finally got what they wanted. But it seems like the people who actually support the team, who have stuck with them through Browns-tier incompetence plus public relations disasters, just want the same old R'dskins in all but name, and if that's what they want, that's what they should get. Name wasn't their idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good point. The name and the logo needed to change but the colors didn't. So they shouldn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sport said:

The W they created is actually pretty sharp.. 

 

The W they created is a bit too close to the Wikibuy logo for my liking. 

 

Wikibuy Review 2020 | What's The Catch With Wikibuy?

 

File:Washington football team wlogo.svg - Wikimedia Commons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

It holds the same value as Tampa Bay, Carolina, New England, and Golden State, IMO.

Disagree.  Columbia is an actual city 30 miles from D.C. (I lived there at one point).  It's not a regional name.  No one in the DMV would ever associate Columbia with the Nation's Capital.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

When I was a kiddo, I was really confused about the difference between Washington DC and Washington State, in large part because of Washington, DC-based sports.

 

Now is as good as time as any for WFT to rebrand using D.C. I think "D.C." sounds cooler than "Washington," and is easier to abbreviate in most uses. Plus, it's a clean break from a problematic name in a way that "Washington ______" never will be.

 

The only team in Washington state that uses "Washington_______" are the Huskies, correct? Everything else uses city names, I think. . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WSU151 said:

 

The only team in the PNW that uses "Washington" are the Huskies, correct? Everything else uses city names, I think. . 

IIRC, a few years back, there was a merchandising snafu that placed the old R*dskins logo inside the state of Washington

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IceCap said:

 

2 hours ago, IceCap said:

 

Anyway sign me up for Redwolves or Red Wolves. You can keep the name close to the old one while distancing it from the slur and going in a new direction with a name that actually is something. As opposed to something abstract like "Alliance."

You could even keep the logo structure the same. Keep the roundel, lose the feather, and replace the Native person's head with a wolf head. It's the perfect balance between completely doing away with the old racist identity while also keeping things as familiar as possible.

Which I believe is a necessity. Both to ease fans who are clinging to the old identity into a new one and also because, name aside, this is one of the more storied teams in the league. Maintaining as much of the team's visual identity as possible is ideal.

 

@Sport

 

 

I agree with pretty much all of this. I'm not sure where the pushback on Redwolves is coming from (it may just be mostly from one poster here) but for all the reasons Icecap layed out, I think that name is easily the best choice of those I've heard tossed around.

 

Plus, wolves are practically dogs, and what kind of lowlife doesn't love dogs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Bill81361 said:

Disagree.  Columbia is an actual city 30 miles from D.C. (I lived there at one point).  It's not a regional name.  No one in the DMV would ever associate Columbia with the Nation's Capital.

Yes, I’m well aware of what and where Columbia is. I live 30 miles up north.

 

If we’re aiming for the regional name angle, then I suppose “The District” or “DMV” would be more appropriate? That just opens a big ol can of worms that nobody is gonna bite at.

 

The more I think about it, if the city name is to be changed, they’re better off going by “DC”. Most people in the region refer to it as that anyway. Go the Defenders route and run with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

 

 

 

I agree with pretty much all of this. I'm not sure where the pushback on Redwolves is coming from (it may just be mostly from one poster here) but for all the reasons Icecap layed out, I think that name is easily the best choice of those I've heard tossed around.

 

Plus, wolves are practically dogs, and what kind of lowlife doesn't love dogs?

I was hesitant to tell on myself, but here I am.

 

Redwolves is lazy and a cop out, like I’ve stated multiple times. Majority of the general public only like it because it retains “HTTR”. Let’s also not forget the “🔥🔥🔥” and “❄️❄️❄️” crowd. It lends itself to multiple predictable instances of R-word slip ups, too. A stable, clean cut identity would be “Wolves”. Don’t put Red or any other color in front of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

I was hesitant to tell on myself, but here I am.

 

Redwolves is lazy and a cop out, like I’ve stated multiple times. 

 

Well, yeah, I know you've stated that multiple times, but stating something doesn't nessarily make it so, no matter how often it's said.

 

I disagree that there's anything especially lazy about Redwolves. Others do also. And I don't think it helps to try to explain away what someone else is thinking, instead of just giving them the benefit of the doubt that they just honestly have a different opinion.

 

I'm not a WFT fan and have no dog in the fight. I have never sang that song and never will, whatever the name becomes. I just think Redwolves sounds pretty cool, I think it's got great potential for branding, and frankly, every other name I've heard mentioned sucks mightily. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Columbia isn't a city FYI, just a CDP within unincoporated Howard County.

 

Columbia would be a fine team name if DC ever becomes a state and chooses Columbia as the state name, but until then DC or Washington.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, _J_ said:

Columbia isn't a city FYI, just a CDP within unincoporated Howard County.

 

Columbia would be a fine team name if DC ever becomes a state and chooses Columbia as the state name, but until then DC or Washington.

DC statehood proponents have always added the modifier New to Columbia.   The latest proposal is Washington, Douglass Commonwealth.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Douglass Commonwealth" is the "Washington Redtails" of state names. It would probably just be called the District of Columbia but be treated as a state. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bill81361 said:

DC statehood proponents have always added the modifier New to Columbia.   The latest proposal is Washington, Douglass Commonwealth.   

Both of those sound awful, to be honest.

 

Also, what @the admiral said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

 

Well, yeah, I know you've stated that multiple times, but stating something doesn't nessarily make it so, no matter how often it's said.


The power of opinions.

27 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I disagree that there's anything especially lazy about Redwolves. Others do also. And I don't think it helps to try to explain away what someone else is thinking, instead of just giving them the benefit of the doubt that they just honestly have a different opinion.

 

I'm not a WFT fan and have no dog in the fight. I have never sang that song and never will, whatever the name becomes. I just think Redwolves sounds pretty cool, I think it's got great potential for branding, and frankly, every other name I've heard mentioned sucks mightily. Of course, that's just my opinion.

I respect your opinion. I always have. The fact is certain things aren’t going to be the bee’s knees for everyone. The difference between you and I is, to me, Redwolves sucks mightily while most of the other names suggested sound pretty cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm ready to embrace some sort of pig name. You could use Warthogs. The pig as the main, the plane as a secondary. Use that to sate the weird military marketing hunger. You could use March of the Pigs as your anthem.

 

All the pigs are all lined up
I give you all that you want
Take the skin and peel it back
Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
 
OK, it's an anti police state song, but whateves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

I'm ready to embrace some sort of pig name.

This wouldn’t have anything to do with your username, would it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.