rjrrzube

Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, the admiral said:

"Douglass Commonwealth" is the "Washington Redtails" of state names. It would probably just be called the District of Columbia but be treated as a state. 

Would that be essentially city of Washington in the state of Douglass Commonwealth? I worked in and grew up around DC in never understood it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, kmccarthy27 said:

Would that be essentially city of Washington in the state of Douglass Commonwealth? I worked in and grew up around DC in never understood it. 

I believe so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't it be "Washington" in the Commonwealth of Douglass?  Doesn't need to be a state.  Can be like PA, VA, MA, and... KY (I think.)

 

I dislike Red Wolves.  I especially dislike keeping the same general look of the uniform but placing the wolf in the circle.  Trying to make something the same that's obviously different is just a reminder that it's different.  I wouldn't go with "red" anything.  There's plenty of identities they can come up with that use the same colors but in completely different ways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2020 at 8:43 PM, BBTV said:

I dislike Red Wolves.  I especially dislike keeping the same general look of the uniform but placing the wolf in the circle.  Trying to make something the same that's obviously different is just a reminder that it's different.  I wouldn't go with "red" anything.  There's plenty of identities they can come up with that use the same colors but in completely different ways.

 

I'm of the opposite mind, given the general colors and look of the team are gorgeous and if you give people time they get used to it being different. I also think Red Wolves would be a perfectly suitable name. Won't work for everyone, though.

 

EDIT: To the DC discussion- Redtails and Douglass Commonwealth both feel like they are over-compensating, but I'd still take 'em over a slur or that slaver or the genocidal guy, so eh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've said this earlier. 

1. I believe the WFT won't be renamed for a while. 
2. Snyder will secure a new stadium within DC
3. NFL will then make Snyder sell the team since it will now have its highest possible value due to a new secured stadium and the new owner could name the team whatever they want and start from scratch
4. New owner names the team upon moving into new DC stadium or season prior

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, selgy said:

I've said this earlier. 

1. I believe the WFT won't be renamed for a while. 
2. Snyder will secure a new stadium within DC
3. NFL will then make Snyder sell the team since it will now have its highest possible value due to a new secured stadium and the new owner could name the team whatever they want and start from scratch
4. New owner names the team upon moving into new DC stadium or season prior

I wouldn't be surprised if Snyder up and dies before re-naming the team, but your prediction isn't that farfetched. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Did a little bit of sleuthing tonight:

 

https://www.washingtonjourney.com/

 

I wonder if it means anything that the only poll options under "What's your favorite fan submission so far?" are:

 

Alliance

Red Tails

Seals

Wolves

 

Wolves has a huge lead...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_wolf

 

Quote

 

Range and habitat

220px-Mapa_distribuci%C3%B3n_lobo_rojo_%
 
Historical range of the red wolf (Canis rufus)

 

 

Call them the Wolves or Red Wolves and be done with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also don't know if this matters but:

 

Quote

Since before European colonization of the Americas, the red wolf has featured prominently in Cherokee spiritual beliefs, where it is known as wa'ya (ᏩᏯ), and is said to be the companion of Kana'ti - the hunter and father of the Aniwaya or Wolf Clan.[86] Traditionally, Cherokee people generally avoid killing red wolves, as such an act is believed to bring about the vengeance of the killed animals' pack-mates.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it does become “Wolves” or “Redwolves” and they unveil a dopey mascot with it, they better name it Rufus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

If it does become “Wolves” or “Redwolves” and they unveil a dopey mascot with it, they better name it Rufus.

They would probably call it Sonny or Gibby (for Jergensen or Gibbs)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, kmccarthy27 said:

They would probably call it Sonny or Gibby (for Jergensen or Gibbs)

 

I fully expect "Mtn Dew Code Red the Wolf".

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, selgy said:

I've said this earlier. 

1. I believe the WFT won't be renamed for a while. 
2. Snyder will secure a new stadium within DC
3. NFL will then make Snyder sell the team since it will now have its highest possible value due to a new secured stadium and the new owner could name the team whatever they want and start from scratch
4. New owner names the team upon moving into new DC stadium or season prior

 

I admire your cynicism but I don't expect Snyder to get a deal done with DC. He'll probably get a sweetheart deal from someone in Northern Virginia first, and then get Sterlinged out for some newly unearthed transgression in addition to all the other ones.

 

Maybe the RFK site can be redeveloped into some mixed-use crap called "The Avenues at National Place" or something like that that sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, the admiral said:

 

I admire your cynicism but I don't expect Snyder to get a deal done with DC. He'll probably get a sweetheart deal from someone in Northern Virginia first, and then get Sterlinged out for some newly unearthed transgression in addition to all the other ones.

 

Maybe the RFK site can be redeveloped into some mixed-use crap called "The Avenues at National Place" or something like that that sucks.


I think it will be DC. But he is actively trying to get a new stadium and I believe he will not name the team until after the stadium location has been set and he sells/made to sell the team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Negotiating with DC bureaucrats seems to be uniquely tedious (look at the Ottawa Senators, another capital-city team owned by an idiot, and their failure to move back downtown), and Snyder has been making overtures to Virginia for years. It'd probably be for the best if they moved to Virginia anyway. Parking will be ample and that's where what actual fans they have left seem to live, the district proper being for the upper echelon of an entire nation's bloodless sociopaths and degenerate freaks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, selgy said:


I think it will be DC. But he is actively trying to get a new stadium and I believe he will not name the team until after the stadium location has been set and he sells/made to sell the team. 

He will make merchandising money by naming the team. Unless he is forced to sell, he will name it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

He will make merchandising money by naming the team. Unless he is forced to sell, he will name it.


Agree. He will. 

But will he make more money selling 

1. WFT merchandise
2. Leaving the team name vacant for the next owner versus naming it now 
3. Not having a name and using that as leverage if he moves into DC or a suburb

I think #2 and letting the next owner select their team name will net him the most money. He will make money in the meantime from WFT merch. Not as much from another name. But the gains between WFT and selling the team without a name and a new stadium I feel will be well worth it. 

My take on this. Keep in mind this is based on the NFL pressuring Snyder to sell. If that is not the case then this is all moot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, selgy said:

My take on this. Keep in mind this is based on the NFL pressuring Snyder to sell. If that is not the case then this is all moot. 

Well, I think that's where this falls apart. I highly doubt Synder gets forced to sell unless something illegal that he actually did (instead of just overseeing operations like a doofus) because rich jerks don't like to kick other rich jerks out of their rich jerk club. Richardson wasn't forced to sell, he chose to after some pressure from fans and media. It's possible the NFL would've made him sell, but to my knowledge they haven't forced a sale like the NBA did to Sterling. 

 

I think Synder renames the team as soon as he has a complete identity together. I'm sure he's made some money with the WFT merch, but a real name will make more because fans know that WFT is temporary. I think he'll get his new stadium soon enough, probably not in DC itself but in Virginia. Either way, that's so many years off that there's no way he doesn't make the change as soon as he can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.