Racial Injustice's Impact on Sports

CS85

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can definitely understand what the Bucks and Brewers are doing... What happened in Kenosha is literally in the backyard of Milwaukee itself.

What I worry about is the backlash against these actions.

23 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

I can definitely understand what the Bucks and Brewers are doing... What happened in Kenosha is literally in the backyard of Milwaukee itself.

Not literally. Kenosha and Pleasant Prairie are basically an extension of Lake County IL at this point. Kenosha County wasn't even in the taxpayer-money-for-Miller-Park zone (Racine County, to the north and its titular city even more woebegone than Kenosha, was). 

Also, the victim was originally from Evanston with I believe a stopover in Zion (go Fielders). I don't know for sure, but I suspect that Kenosha is like DeKalb to the west in that it's been a place for people who were, uh, emptied out of Chicago. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, CS85 said:

Not sure.  The NBA's may be for the remainder of the season, but they're talking it over:

Nah. They won't cancel the season. I bet it'll be one game for each current series.

It should be interesting to see how this affects the other four major league sports. Will they follow suit? And, I'm interested to see what kind of support or backlash they get from this?

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

3 minutes ago, kimball said:

Nah. They won't cancel the season. I bet it'll be one game for each current series.

It should be interesting to see how this affects the other four major league sports. Will they follow suit? And, I'm interested to see what kind of support or backlash they get from this?

A lot of people don't think the NHL will do the same.

The NHL is playing on, which is angering all the people who already had it out for hockey fans anyway. But like I said, it's not really an American league.

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

The NHL is playing on, which is angering all the people who already had it out for hockey fans anyway. But like I said, it's not really an American league.

Different people have different realities and can engage differently. If the MLS has to play tonight because they might not exist next season, I get that. No, I'm not shedding tears for billionaires, but I get it.

The NHL not being able to protest tonight -- for whatever reason -- doesn't make the league or its players bad people. It does, however, underscore the risks and commitment to justice the NBA players, MLB players, and the respective teams are taking tonight. Are they doing it from a position of power? Maybe. But ultimately who cares. Protest if you can. Support if you can.

MOD EDIT: Let's stick to the issues. Using stereotypes, no matter how accurate, is just asking for trouble. And it's unnecessary.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I don't get it, isn't it a good thing that people with money and power are standing up for people who have neither? (Of course there's also Sterling Brown.) Like the "BABIED MILLIONAIRES" angst is nonsense, they get yelled at with that no matter what side they take. Your average suburban or city cop makes more than your average MLS player, probably, anyway.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

4 hours ago, CS85 said:
Top response:  “Thank god for the NHL.”

there's a lot to be said about why certain types of people (specifically talking about americans) hold hockey on such a high pedestal. not to be said here, but there's a lot to be said.

53Ocz8U.png

54 minutes ago, JerseyJimmy said:

there's a lot to be said about why certain types of people (specifically talking about americans) hold hockey on such a high pedestal. not to be said here, but there's a lot to be said.

MOD EDIT: Let's not go there.

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

They might have postponed if their bubbles were in America.  But they are in Canada.  

Does that mean they voted and were outnumbered so they continue play? Or they voted and the LA teams :censored: off and the rest of the league continues?

Wow.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived