Racial Injustice's Impact on Sports

CS85

46 minutes ago, the admiral said:

"Hi everybody I'm Kevin Durant. I have started a new league because I believe the Jews are shape-shifting parasites who arrived here on a spaceship. In a related story, I'm interested in booking a circuit of 18,000-seat arenas around North America and negotiating television contracts, which should not be difficult."

I think you give some of these guys too little credit. Durant may be a moron, but not all of the team is. I'm sure they can think of a way to get themselves paid for playing pro basketball in a way that doesn't require Donald Sterling signing their paychecks.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I observe these boycotts, postponements, and cancellations in response to the pandemic of discriminatorily violent treatments of Black people by white police officers, I cannot help but be reminded of the 1987 movie Amazing Grace and Chuck.  The premise of the film is that a young boy (Chuck) becomes so bothered by the existence of nuclear weapons that he quits playing competitive baseball, and his decision inspires many professional athletes (starting with a basketball star nicknamed "Amazing Grace", portrayed by then-real-life NBA player Alex English) to end (or at least pause) their careers as a mass protest against nuclear proliferation.  I have long thought that this movie had a rather naïve and corny plot, but now I am beginning to think that it has become a surprisingly prescient story, even if the overall motive for these disruptions of play is quite different.

2 hours ago, Digby said:

Yeah, it's halcyon days for bad faith Facebook comments about China. If only there was a "identify Hong Kong on a map" filter.

Well if Beijing gets its way there won't be any dotted lines or color-coding to help.

And look, what do you want people to do here? There was a piece in The Athletic about how, by the numbers, suspicion and distrust of the Chinese government is about the only thing left that unifies most people in our country, and yet at every turn we see the NBA whoring itself out to China while criticizing the United States. It's not that we're beyond criticism, God knows we're not, but sometimes you have to know whose side you're ultimately on.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm really disappointed in the way that NHL fans, at least on Instagram and Twitter, have responded to the strike.

It's a hockey game. It's not important than a human life. Hockey will be back in a few days. George Floyd, Elijah McClain, Breonna Taylor, and countless others can't say the same.

11 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

I'm really disappointed in the way that NHL fans, at least on Instagram and Twitter, have responded to the strike.

It's a hockey game. It's not important than a human life. Hockey will be back in a few days. George Floyd, Elijah McClain, Breonna Taylor, and countless others can't say the same.

I still don't understand why so many people get that irritated by athletes bringing attention to these social issues.

And it's the same feeling I get when people refuse to wear masks and abide by simple health orders. IT'S NOT THAT HARD!!!!

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Well, this is not going to end well...

(the video is low volume)

https://twitter.com/NickCocco18/status/1299097093685104648?s=2

I didn't watch the video, but I think sucking people into a game and then leaving the field makes a bigger statement than not playing altogether.  I'm not sure about the coming back out an hour later bit, but at least starting a game gets eyes on the protest, rather than just postponing which puts no eyes on anything.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

21 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

How did these fans respond?

17 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

Pretty sure it's the usual mishmash of garbage that gets used anytime this happens...

The fact that "anytime this happens" is used so casually when referring to cops shooting black people says it all.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, neo_prankster said:

I still don't understand why so many people get that irritated by athletes bringing attention to these social issues.

And it's the same feeling I get when people refuse to wear masks and abide by simple health orders. IT'S NOT THAT HARD!!!!

Lots of things. Racism, narcissism, sociopathy. Some combination of those.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

27 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

I can't remember who it was, but apparently at least one RSL player refuses to play for them as long as DLH is part of ownership. Complete scumbag, I hope he gets removed ASAP.

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 hour ago, neo_prankster said:

Is Gail Miller (Utah Jazz owner) a soccer fan?

3 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

It's not who's saying it that irritates them. It's what they're saying.

So as to not run afoul of the board rules, I won't be any more specific than that. You know exactly why and what I mean.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

8 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

It's not who's saying it that irritates them. It's what they're saying.

So as to not run afoul of the board rules, I won't be any more specific than that. You know exactly why and what I mean.

I actually don't know exactly what you mean.  What are the athletes saying that's irritating so many people?  I don't think I've heard anything that veers from what pretty much everyone in the country with a heart has been saying.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I actually don't know exactly what you mean.  What are the athletes saying that's irritating so many people?  I don't think I've heard anything that veers from what pretty much everyone in the country with a heart has been saying.

Indeed, sadly.

Anyway, here's this:

Edit:  Great read on how the NBA players/etc handled the strike.

https://sports.yahoo.com/inside-the-emotional-48-hours-that-saved-the-nb-as-bubble-050354990.html

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

16 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Well, this is not going to end well...

(the video is low volume)

https://twitter.com/NickCocco18/status/1299097093685104648?s=2

So apparently it was the Mets CEO that was trying to orchestrate the stunt. I’m skeptical and thinking it’s more the MLB trying to save face after this leaked

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29755297/brodie-van-wagenen-critical-rob-manfred-walkout-proposal-just-get-it

3 minutes ago, dont care said:

So apparently it was the Mets COO that was trying to orchestrate the stunt. I’m skeptical and thinking it’s more the MLB trying to save face after this leaked

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29755297/brodie-van-wagenen-critical-rob-manfred-walkout-proposal-just-get-it

Eh, that sounds like a fall guy thing.  Cris Carter's advice works in all levels of sport, including management.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived