Racial Injustice's Impact on Sports

CS85

Let me try to phrase the Tom Brady thing a different way:

Lebron speaks up and the president tells him to "shut up and dribble".  If Tom Brady speaks up, who's going to tell him to "shut up and throw."?  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Let me try to phrase the Tom Brady thing a different way:

Lebron speaks up and the president tells him to "shut up and dribble".  If Tom Brady speaks up, who's going to tell him to "shut up and throw."?  

Giselle

I saw, I came, I left.

12 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

Who says they don't?

You're right. Besides locker room decorating choices, you don't know what Tom Brady and Peyton Manning of 2017 did or didn't believe. 

However, their career success is inextricably linked to the direct support of black men. They don't have the success they had without playing with black people, in high school, in college, and in the pros. 

Tom Brady had the opportunity in 2017 to show courage and decided not to. An opportunity that even Roger Goodell himself says he wishes the league had taken. 

No, not every player has to support every social cause. That's not fair. But there was a moment in time where people could have done good and chose not to. And if people want to throw China around LeBron's neck (which seems to be the only time those particular people ever care about China), then feel free to do that too. 

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

You're right. Besides locker room decorating choices, you don't know what Tom Brady and Peyton Manning of 2017 did or didn't believe. 

However, their career success is inextricably linked to the direct support of black men. They don't have the success they had without playing with black people, in high school, in college, and in the pros. 

Tom Brady had the opportunity in 2017 to show courage and decided not to. An opportunity that even Roger Goodell himself says he wishes the league had taken. 

Yeah, but since Brady and Manning chose not to show any courage off the field in 2017, does that tarnish what they did on the field?

24 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

Yeah, but since Brady and Manning chose not to show any courage off the field in 2017, does that tarnish what they did on the field?

I don't know. Depends on who you ask. 

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

And if people want to throw China around LeBron's neck (which seems to be the only time those particular people ever care about China), then feel free to do that too. 

China waged biological warfare on the entire world including itself; I think people are on their case for more reasons than so they can be mean to poor LeBron James.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

53 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

Well, they are not OJ Simpson.

I saw, I came, I left.

26 minutes ago, the admiral said:

China waged biological warfare on the entire world including itself; I think people are on their case for more reasons than being mean to poor LeBron James.

There's a Venn diagram joke about people who care about China when it relates to LeBron James and people who care about China when it doesn't. I can't make that joke, but it's out there. 

8 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

There's a Venn diagram joke about people who care about China when it relates to LeBron James and people who care about China when it doesn't. I can't make that joke, but it's out there. 

Is it a Venn diagram if it's just one big circle?

I saw, I came, I left.

25 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

and Lebron James isn't in either circle

1 hour ago, ManillaToad said:

and Lebron James isn't in either circle

Yes, thanks for proving my point.

20 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

I still have questions about how Lebron can reconcile what he's doing here in the US with his stance on China.

It's one thing for him to be silent about the Uyghur genocide and Hong Kong, but it's another thing for him to call for a punishment for someone speaking out about the actions of the Chinese government.

Not to further contribute to this complete thread derailment, but when did he do this?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Racial Injustice's Impact on Sports is that it's a pretty big deal for a little bit and then becomes quickly diluted.

6 minutes ago, dont care said:

I'll re-litigate that story just once and then never again, but what LeBron was saying was that Daryl Morey said something that did put NBA player wealth in danger and could have put their health in danger right before the NBA traveled to China. LeBron used his standing -- no one's going to punish or cut him -- to speak on behalf of the players who lost deals because of that tweet. That's what he meant by harm.

And again, the China thing is only ever used against LeBron as a way to mock him. No one speaking out against LeBron James with regard to China actually cares about Hong Kong or the Uyghur genocide. They enjoy knocking him down to prop up long-retired players who could have had LeBron's social reach but chose not to, or hate the NBA, or hate black people, or some other reason that has little to do with China or its varied populations.

China's a mess, but the list of people and organizations with uncomfortable entanglements there is very long and includes all of us who could buy American but choose not to.

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I'll re-litigate that story just once and then never again, but what LeBron was saying was that Daryl Morey said something that did put NBA player wealth in danger and could have put their health in danger right before the NBA traveled to China. LeBron used his standing -- no one's going to punish or cut him -- to speak on behalf of the players who lost deals because of that tweet. That's what he meant by harm.

And again, the China thing is only ever used against LeBron as a way to mock him. No one speaking out against LeBron James with regard to China actually cares about Hong Kong or the Uyghur genocide. They enjoy knocking him down to prop up long-retired players who could have had LeBron's social reach but chose not to, or hate the NBA, or hate black people, or some other reason that has little to do with China or its varied populations.

China's a mess, but the list of people and organizations with uncomfortable entanglements there is very long and includes all of us who could buy American but choose not to.

Just check all of things that you buy and enjoy using and see where they were made.... or just go to walmart* 

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived