MLB 2021

SportsLogos.Net News

2 hours ago, amazinbaseball said:

Nike had nothing to do with those designs according to the teams. The first designs with any input from Nike has been the two city uniforms introduced this season. 

MLB seems to have solid relationships with a few independent designers and agencies. I don’t know that they’ve ever completed an identity project through their outfitter.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Eastport76 said:

Should’ve a blue dog. 

Fittingly there’s a Dodger comic account on Twitter with a blue dog.

VmWIn6B.png

2 hours ago, dont care said:

I wasn’t expecting them to acknowledge LA’s homeless population in the form of a mascot.

That's the old Brooklyn mascot. Funny, I can't recall ever seeing it used for LA. Little salty about LA stealing it to be honest.

Anubis.png

33 minutes ago, NormMacdonald said:

I could have sworn the DBacks infamous bloody ankles/shoulders set was designed by Nike

you couldn’t be more wrong. Nike wasn’t even in talks of being the leagues uniform manufacturer yet and wouldn’t design a uniform for majestic.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/diamondbacks-leave-tradition-behind-with-seven-edgy-new-uniforms-120315%3famp=true

1 hour ago, dont care said:

you couldn’t be more wrong. Nike wasn’t even in talks of being the leagues uniform manufacturer yet and wouldn’t design a uniform for majestic.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/diamondbacks-leave-tradition-behind-with-seven-edgy-new-uniforms-120315%3famp=true

Oh okay. Thought someone on this site mentioned Nike being involved. Guess you can't believe everything you read on the internet

18 hours ago, DarthBrett said:

I used to love the koala bear when I was a kid in the '80s. I had a plush of him and some Dodger gear with him on it and was also a member of the Blue Crew fan club back then. I honestly think they probably used a koala because Australian culture was sort of a hot fad back in the mid to late 1980s here in the U.S.  Fosters beer got big then, Yahoo Serious and Crocodile Dundee were big and I know there was an Australian candy bar with a koala as the mascot advertised on tv and sold here as well. (the name escapes me)

The original koala used on all the gear and seen at the stadium was brown  and did not wear pants/diapers at all though. 

spacer.png

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8eMpYpcLtEs/Uzr__n3_i-I/AAAAAAAAxW4/PCrMBE_AQ-Q/s1600/koala3.jpg

Surprising, Chunichi Dragons(NPB) were known for their uniforms were heavily inspired by Dodgers, they had a koala mascot named Doala.  Also, he had awesome stunts.

spacer.png

Coincidence?

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

2 hours ago, NormMacdonald said:

Oh okay. Thought someone on this site mentioned Nike being involved. Guess you can't believe everything you read on the internet

I know what you’re talking about, though. I remember seeing the graphics released in late 2005, and they DID include a Nike swoosh, but I haven’t found anything explaining what their involvement was, if any. It’s bugging me, because I feel in my gut that Nike was behind the goofy trim and truncated outer pants stripe.

EDIT: From this Paul Lukas penned ESPN column, comes this nugget:

Who came up with all of these elements: Majestic? The team? An outside design firm? "The design was completed entirely by our in-house multimedia productions team in conjunction with MLB design services," Hall said. "We began this process more than 18 months ago and have involved our players significantly throughout, as well as some of our fans. We also relied heavily on input from MLB Authentic Collection licensees such as Majestic, Nike and New Era, but our team took the lead with strong support from the MLB design team."

So there it is. They had input, but were not the sole designer. But this is a classic case of “too many cooks in the kitchen.”

spacer.png

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

10 minutes ago, Frylock said:

So there it is. They had input, but were not the sole designer. But this is a classic case of “too many cooks in the kitchen.”

Of course, Nike and the team regretted things, so we got the simplified version of the set without the patterns and a normal grey jersey. Some teams and designers just have a few “instant regret” designs.

1 hour ago, Frylock said:

I know what you’re talking about, though. I remember seeing the graphics released in late 2005, and they DID include a Nike swoosh, but I haven’t found anything explaining what their involvement was, if any. It’s bugging me, because I feel in my gut that Nike was behind the goofy trim and truncated outer pants stripe.

EDIT: From this Paul Lukas penned ESPN column, comes this nugget:

spacer.png

The red mesh print is very, very unnecessary. Whenever I see " involved our players significantly throughout " on a bad design I assume the players ruined it. I'd rather live in a world where the professionally trained designers tried to say "no" and were overruled rather than being the ones who came up with red mesh print and half a leg stripe as design elements.

Then they created a separate (nearly identical version) and injected cyan into it. No one wanted that. There were: 1. Fans of sedona red and black. 2. Fans that wanted a return to the original colors.  What they created was something zero people wanted. Terrible idea.

27 minutes ago, O.C.D said:

The red mesh print is very, very unnecessary. Whenever I see " involved our players significantly throughout " on a bad design I assume the players ruined it. I'd rather live in a world where the professionally trained designers tried to say "no" and were overruled rather than being the ones who came up with red mesh print and half a leg stripe as design elements.

Then they created a separate (nearly identical version) and injected cyan into it. No one wanted that. There were: 1. Fans of sedona red and black. 2. Fans that wanted a return to the original colors.  What they created was something zero people wanted. Terrible idea.

It’s was probably designer going to players and saying “look at these diamond patterns for the new uniform aren’t they cewl?” And players going “oh those are straight fire” and that’s the max input for their involvement. I extremely doubt dumb players who only know how to hit a ball far are actually designing these uniforms.

39 minutes ago, dont care said:

It’s was probably designer going to players and saying “look at these diamond patterns for the new uniform aren’t they cewl?” And players going “oh those are straight fire” and that’s the max input for their involvement. I extremely doubt dumb players who only know how to hit a ball far are actually designing these uniforms.

I'd have to look for it, but I remember when the University of Oregon were redesigning their football uniforms they were really hyping the player involvement. 5bb771572600003001834d7f.jpeg?ops=scalef5bb771571f0000df002506dd.jpeg?ops=scalef5bb771582400003000988970.jpeg?ops=scalef5bb771581f000000022506df.jpeg?ops=scalef5bb771593c000032000d8cdd.jpeg?ops=scalef

These are the uniforms I think of when I hear about player involvement and what they think looks good. The metal diamond plating on tool boxes. And some of the worst numbers of all time

2 hours ago, O.C.D said:

I thought the red and turquoise combo was pretty sharp. If anything, that's what they should have done in 2007 rather than jump on the same color palette the Astros were using at the time. You could also argue it would have been a good full-time set for the most recent redesign as a synthesis of both eras (though the second era wasn't all that great for the club, relatively speaking).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, O.C.D said:

I'm sure there are some players out there who have bad taste (as there would be in any group), but I would think that a lot of players did not like those uniforms and just weren't vocal about it.  I doubt the players came up with that uniform design, they were probably shown the concept, and I would guess that a few players said it looked cool and most were indifferent, which the design team took to mean "they all love it!"  They are being paid millions of dollars to play a game and that is probably why players seem to care less and talk less about what they wear (at least from an aesthetic standpoint) than we do.  If you pay me millions of dollars, I won't really care what you tell me to wear, as long as it's comfortable and doesn't interfere with my ability to do my job.

The general idea of attempting something progressive with a Phoenix-based expansion team wasn't wrong, but dot-matrix ankle blood? 

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

I thought the red and turquoise combo was pretty sharp. If anything, that's what they should have done in 2007 rather than jump on the same color palette the Astros were using at the time. You could also argue it would have been a good full-time set for the most recent redesign as a synthesis of both eras (though the second era wasn't all that great for the club, relatively speaking).

Introducing turquoise was weird because it invokes a flavor of the old colors without actually being one. I thought the turquoise was a tribute to the native population of Phoenix. I think sedona red and purple would probably have been a smoother blending of eras if that was the goal. I'm not sure what there goal was tbh.

9 minutes ago, O.C.D said:

I think sedona red and purple would probably have been a smoother blending of eras if that was the goal. I'm not sure what there goal was tbh.

"let's mix eras so it's the best of both worlds  ---> wait make the teal brighter it needs more contrast ---> hm that's pretty cool" 

14 hours ago, dont care said:

Yeah, it's this. It's like when a long-running franchise is "produced" by the original creator, it just means they were paid to say something nice about the film and that's it.

10 hours ago, O.C.D said:

Introducing turquoise was weird because it invokes a flavor of the old colors without actually being one. I thought the turquoise was a tribute to the native population of Phoenix. I think sedona red and purple would probably have been a smoother blending of eras if that was the goal. I'm not sure what there goal was tbh.

I never really saw the addition of turquoise as a blending of eras, but more to your latter point, that it was a nod to the region's native population. That, to me, is a perfectly justifiable use of the color. Plus, turquoise and sedona red pair together nicely, and would make the Diamondbacks brand more distinct that can ever be as a primarily red and black team.

And unlike the D-Backs inaugural and World Series uniforms, they didn't hit you over the head with the novelty color. It's far more subtle. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

It baffles me why turquoise isn't part of their primary set

Archived