MLB 2021

SportsLogos.Net News

52 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

These were so bad, that New Era only put the area code 813 on the Rays cap.  813 isn't even where they play, they play in 727.  Not discounting the gact that some hats had multiple area codes, and they totally miff the actual area code for St Pete.

Many area codes have trademark issues. Anheuser-Busch filed for a bunch of them back when they bought Goose Island Brewing. Seemed like they were gonna spin 312 into other cities, but I don’t think they ever did.

And, as mentioned before, small brands often latch onto area codes as well, which is probably why Pittsburgh doesn’t have a 412 (or any other area code) on its cap.

https://www.shopfouronetwo.com/

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Many area codes have trademark issues. Anheuser-Busch filed for a bunch of them back when they bought Goose Island Brewing. Seemed like they were gonna spin 312 into other cities, but I don’t think they ever did.

And, as mentioned before, small brands often latch onto area codes as well, which is probably why Pittsburgh doesn’t have a 412 (or any other area code) on its cap.

https://www.shopfouronetwo.com/

That's actually a really good point, and really interesting re: trademark issues with area codes.

It's also another of the many reasons why this entire New Era concept was a terrible idea.

Glad they put a cheese wheel front and (off) center on the Brewers hat to represent the abundant dairy farms in Milwaukee County/414. 🙄

It's like they did the opposite with the Brewers. They only put the area code where the team plays, but most of the patches are things that are better associated with other parts of Wisconsin.

2 hours ago, TBGKon said:

These were so bad, that New Era only put the area code 813 on the Rays cap.  813 isn't even where they play, they play in 727.  Not discounting the gact that some hats had multiple area codes, and they totally miff the actual area code for St Pete.

Yeah, it's like they saw the word Tampa and decided to only put the Tampa-specific area code. Which, btw, is getting a new area code next year, 656. If it were done properly the hat would have 727, 813, 941, 863 and mayyyybe 352 on it. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, EddieJ1984 said:

These hats just look like example hats a shady custom hat kiosk in a mall would have.

60051158_59FIFTY_M5950LOCAL_PHIPHI_OTC_360051158_59FIFTY_M5950LOCAL_PHIPHI_OTC_R

They left out 609 and the other South Jersey one(s), which are closer than some of the 484s and 610s.

LOL "Philadelphia Philly"?  This is the worst legitimately-marketed cap I've ever seen.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The concept and overall design of these hats were obviously destined to fail from the beginning, but the cartoony looking clip art elements are what truly push this over the edge into unprecedented awfulness. The food items, such as tacos, pierogi, and pizza slices look comically bad. The steel beam on the Pirates hat is another example. The design of those patches is especially unsightly.

While I loathe the idea of a hat with just a lot of random garbage plastered to it, the zip codes, World Series patches, and cursive writing don't look bad as individual elements. 

9 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

The concept and overall design of these hats were obviously destined to fail from the beginning, but the cartoony looking clip art elements are what truly push this over the edge into unprecedented awfulness. The food items, such as tacos, pierogi, and pizza slices look comically bad. The steel beam on the Pirates hat is another example. The design of those patches is especially unsightly.

While I loathe the idea of a hat with just a lot of random garbage plastered to it, the zip codes, World Series patches, and cursive writing don't look bad as individual elements. 

New Era has released other caps with these elements already on them. It seems like they were added her just t take up some of the space. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I know it's a pierogi, but my brain wants to think it's a calzone. 

It’s actually an Uncrustable; a tribute to Cleveland’s plain white suburbs.

spacer.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

There have been hundreds of just-absolutely-hideous fashion caps from New Era over the last decade or so, but it's rare to see something mocked this badly. 

Maybe they'll get the hint that no one likes hats that look like garbage. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 5/26/2021 at 6:45 AM, SCalderwood said:

I've lived in the Baltimore area on-and-off for over 25 years, and while I know not everyone would like that cap, there is a large segment of the population here that would absolutely love it.  If you're from Baltimore, you've got to know the type of people I'm talking about.  The "Baltimorons," if you will.

Not this one.  Edgar Allen Poe?  No idea what's on the right side, but it can't be good.  You can see them all if you have a subscription to the Athletic.  https://theathletic.com/2612864/2021/05/26/a-memorial-for-the-now-legendary-new-era-local-market-caps-gone-too-soon/
Orioles.gif

17 hours ago, Ark said:

This is the best Reds uniform

They are things of beauty.

But I still can't choose between them and the Robinson/Larkins.

4c908a01e40850e3e40c12932a1fd5d8.jpgbarry-larkin-cincinnati-reds-1996-upper-deck-all-star-game-jumbo-card-78.jpg

But the Reds have a mild identity crisis.   Their whole thing is based around old-timey baseball given their history, but their most legendary run is arguably in a sleek futuristic look in a spaceship of a ballpark.

3 hours ago, Bill0813 said:

Not this one.  Edgar Allen Poe?  No idea what's on the right side, but it can't be good. 

They're also largely on Twitter. 

All caps have the city name, city nickname, and the patch from the team's latest world series win.   Although... they've chosen a different one for some teams.   I don't know if it's semi-random, or if they chose the most important culturally.   The Royals have 1985, their first.   It appears the Yankees have 1996, which is a beloved year for the team.   The Indians have 1920, and I'm not sure why.

new-era-localized-orioles-cap-1621975259

spacer.png

spacer.png

Archived