MLB 2021

SportsLogos.Net News

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, insert name said:

huh, they didn't use the black Mets logo. Now I wonder if they're gonna use the all black cap or the black/blue cap?

that's a welcome change to me. the original 1998 version has  the blue skyline patch, and  as i'm sure you know, they often paired it with blue trim elements (sleeves, socks, belt), and i have always felt it was a stronger look. 

like you eluded to, back in '98, they wore it with the hybrid cap (the all black cap was introduced in 1999), but i do believe one time in '98 (with rick reed on the mound), they wore the blue caps with it.

why that's relevant is because i'm pretty sure pete alonso said one time while he was campaigning for them to come back that he just wanted the black jersey back and to keep the blue elements. maybe they just go blue caps....

EDIT: scratch this. between  the tri-color 'NY' being at the bottom of the teaser video, and this line from the mets' official release, i presume the all-black cap is back (it would be better if they added a blue brim to that cap):

"Black T-shirts and caps and other merchandise will be available at the Mets Team Store at Citi Field starting July 30."

sig2024.png

On 7/14/2021 at 10:47 AM, gosioux76 said:

Back in the late '80s, when I was a kid growing up in Minnesota and we only had three channels, the only baseball I got was Twins road games (home games weren't on TV then), the occasional national game, and episodes of "This Week in Baseball." 

The ASG was the one time a year I got to see what a Montreal Expo looked like during a live telecast. 

Seeing those uniforms on TV, to me, is as big of an attraction as the all-stars themselves. Watching them all in special ASG dress-up ruins it for me.

Except we're in the 21st Century now, and you can pull up any uniform in MLB history on your phone in 10 seconds. An entire generation of fans have grown up with interleague play being a normal thing, so the novelty of seeing opposite league uniforms is non-existent.

Obviously the execution this year was terrible, but I prefer All Star teams wearing actual NL/AL uniforms. Seeing players in their normal mis-matched uniforms always looked cheap to me. Like they couldn't afford to design new ones so just told everyone to wear their normal ones.

20 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Obviously the execution this year was terrible, but I prefer All Star teams wearing actual NL/AL uniforms. Seeing players in their normal mis-matched uniforms always looked cheap to me. Like they couldn't afford to design new ones so just told everyone to wear their normal ones.

If the All-Star Game had remained in Atlanta this year it would've been amazing if the two teams had feather-sleeved, Hank Aaron inspired unis with "American" and "National" scripts on the front in the Braves' style. 

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

If the All-Star Game had remained in Atlanta this year it would've been amazing if the two teams had feather-sleeved, Hank Aaron inspired unis with "American" and "National" scripts on the front in the Braves' style. 

No

On 7/13/2021 at 9:42 PM, DEAD! said:

I guess someone in MLB realized they missed the Canadian flag on the sleeve for the Blue Jays uniforms and just ended up slapping a Canadian flag on the front. OY! 

I thought I saw somewhere they were wearing the sleeve patch due to their current home being Buffalo, NY.

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

The cheapest thing about everything this weekend was that with each team not wearing their own uniforms they didn't bring their own helmets and instead both teams wore a really shoddy looking matte navy helmet with a flat, shiny sticker of the league initials in a mountain peak star.   When I looked up and was trying to, at a cursory glance, figure out what team some people I was less familiar with were from, I had to rewind to when their name came up or try to spot the chest.

spacer.png

spacer.png

2 hours ago, coco1997 said:

If the all star game had remained in Atlanta we would’ve saw the same awful uniforms. They were clearly designed for Atlanta.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

1 hour ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

If the all star game had remained in Atlanta we would’ve saw the same awful uniforms. They were clearly designed for Atlanta.

I know. I'm not saying that's what they would have done, I'm saying that's what they could have done instead of the absolute eye sore of a mess we got instead. 

When they started doing the custom hats, the league/New Era/whomever did a decent job with doing 30 hats in styles that paid tribute to the hosts, ie Cincy’s two-bar hat and Minnesota’s contrast panel, but still felt worthwhile to the teams. And still allowed for the regular uniforms to be worn, so that was a compromise I could live with.

but that scheme only works for so long, as “what if all teams were the Taco Bell Padres” proved, and something like a black/orange Dodgers jersey or a pinstripe Red Sox jersey should not exist in the wild, even if it’s a fun design exercise.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I don't care about leagues.  I think it would have been cool to turn on the ASG and be able to instantly identify the Phillies players from their pink pinstripes, and feel good (sorta) that JT Realmuto hit a HR on national TV in the Phillies uniform.  Instead, we got a bunch of guys - half of whom you can't tell apart - in ugly-ass uniforms that matched but not really.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, Digby said:

When they started doing the custom hats, the league/New Era/whomever did a decent job with doing 30 hats in styles that paid tribute to the hosts, ie Cincy’s two-bar hat and Minnesota’s contrast panel, but still felt worthwhile to the teams. And still allowed for the regular uniforms to be worn, so that was a compromise I could live with.

but that scheme only works for so long, as “what if all teams were the Taco Bell Padres” proved, and something like a black/orange Dodgers jersey or a pinstripe Red Sox jersey should not exist in the wild, even if it’s a fun design exercise.

I think each player wearing something based on a distinctive uniform belonging to the hosting ballpark’s team but in their respective team’s colors (example: the Taco Bell Padres unis but in black and silver for the White Sox) would be really cool, but I wouldn’t want all the teams wearing purple because they’re playing at Coors.

I sort of missed that Mets jersey, it makes me nostalgic for when I first got into baseball as a kid. However, I really hope this doesn't end up being deja vu, where the Mets like the black so much they slap it on the home and away uniforms too and ruin everything, that was the part I did not like. Leave the black for the black jersey, it should be confined to that jersey.

bSLCtu2.png

12 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

I sort of missed that Mets jersey, it makes me nostalgic for when I first got into baseball as a kid. However, I really hope this doesn't end up being deja vu, where the Mets like the black so much they slap it on the home and away uniforms too and ruin everything, that was the part I did not like. Leave the black for the black jersey, it should be confined to that jersey.

i *think* they've learned their lesson. almost all the people there in marketing and even on the equipment staff are different than who was there in the late '90s. and over the last three seasons, they've even basically eliminated their blue alternate home jersey. it's been almost all pinstripes at home. so i think they understand that their visual program should be primarily traditional.

i will say, as someone who is in my mid-30s and grew up with these, i'm really excited they're back (even though THE reason i joined these boards all those years ago was to rail against the black in the mets' color scheme). if they're kept special, i think they actually are a nice little compliment to their wardrobe. of course, this all comes with the biggest caveat, because all it will take is for them to be 5-0 wearing these before they pop up in the playoffs...

sig2024.png

13 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I think each player wearing something based on a distinctive uniform belonging to the hosting ballpark’s team but in their respective team’s colors (example: the Taco Bell Padres unis but in black and silver for the White Sox) would be really cool, but I wouldn’t want all the teams wearing purple because they’re playing at Coors.

I think about it more and wonder how many teams have an element that could be standardizable successfully. The Twins’ contrast panel worked perfect. What’s an ideal Rockies version? Maybe each team with a black cap and a silver logo, that feels neutral enough but also interesting enough. I don’t really know, it’s tough to pull that off every single ASG, I suspect. 

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 hours ago, Brian E said:

i *think* they've learned their lesson. almost all the people there in marketing and even on the equipment staff are different than who was there in the late '90s. and over the last three seasons, they've even basically eliminated their blue alternate home jersey. it's been almost all pinstripes at home. so i think they understand that their visual program should be primarily traditional.

i will say, as someone who is in my mid-30s and grew up with these, i'm really excited they're back (even though THE reason i joined these boards all those years ago was to rail against the black in the mets' color scheme). if they're kept special, i think they actually are a nice little compliment to their wardrobe. of course, this all comes with the biggest caveat, because all it will take is for them to be 5-0 wearing these before they pop up in the playoffs...

This is something I just noticed recently. I can't recall a time this season where they wore the blue alts at home. Did they really quietly phase out the home alts? Even last year, I think the blue home alts were worn once. 

XM4KeeA.png

Archived