MLB 2021

SportsLogos.Net News

48 minutes ago, insert name said:

This is something I just noticed recently. I can't recall a time this season where they wore the blue alts at home. Did they really quietly phase out the home alts? Even last year, I think the blue home alts were worn once. 

it seems like it. in 2019, they only wore them nine times (ed rooney voice). the 2020 tracker on the mother site is only updated through 8/29 for last year, but i don't think they wore them at all in september, which would mean only three times last year. this year, i don't even think they've worn them once.

with the return of the black, i'd rather them just mothball the home blue alt, then make tweaks to the road blue alt (orange lettering outlined in white, move the home alt cap to the road alt cap and ditch the existing road alt cap). i know there's historical precedence for the gray lettering on the road alts, but it's just as much gray for gray's sake as the black is BFBS.

sig2024.png

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Digby said:

I think about it more and wonder how many teams have an element that could be standardizable successfully. The Twins’ contrast panel worked perfect. What’s an ideal Rockies version? Maybe each team with a black cap and a silver logo, that feels neutral enough but also interesting enough. I don’t really know, it’s tough to pull that off every single ASG, I suspect. 

Yeah, my idea would be difficult to apply to every single team because there are a handful of MLB teams who colors aside have never had a truly "distinctive" uniform design. The Rockies are an example of this.  

Does it seem like the MLB is getting a little loose with alternates this year? A few weeks ago Phillies players wanted a shake up so they threw red jerseys into the mix. Now another late addition from the Mets.

(and I'm in the minority that I'm not actually complaining, just curious)

The Mets in black has become an example of generational shift.

There was an active campaign to get the Mets to stop using black just 15 years ago.  Now its being re-evaluated and there's a lot of nostalgia for something people grew up with.

It's like the Star Wars prequels today or the Star Wars sequels ten years from now.

52 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

There was an active campaign to get the Mets to stop using black just 15 years ago.  Now its being re-evaluated and there's a lot of nostalgia for something people grew up with.

Yep. Pete Alonso, who was a huge advocate for the black alt's return, was a kid when those jerseys were first worn and appeared in the 2000 World Series. Nostalgia is a powerful thing. 

6 hours ago, insert name said:

This is something I just noticed recently. I can't recall a time this season where they wore the blue alts at home. Did they really quietly phase out the home alts? Even last year, I think the blue home alts were worn once. 

I'd rather them phase out the pointless road alts with the GFGS 'New York' and even more unnecessary gray logo hat. They can wear a jersey that says Mets on the road it's not a big deal.

3 hours ago, ScubaSteve said:

Does it seem like the MLB is getting a little loose with alternates this year? A few weeks ago Phillies players wanted a shake up so they threw red jerseys into the mix. Now another late addition from the Mets.

(and I'm in the minority that I'm not actually complaining, just curious)

The Phillies' have had them for a few years they've just in the back of the closet the last couple. They were the Thursday home day game alts but were since replaced by the powder blues for throwback thursday. IDK why at the time they didn't just change the day they wore them.

And the Mets jersey has been in the works at least since Cohen bought the team. So I don't think they just decided a few weeks ago they want to add black alts.

17 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

The Mets in black has become an example of generational shift.

It's like the Star Wars prequels today or the Star Wars sequels ten years from now.

People view the star wars prequels fondly?

1 hour ago, dont care said:

You’d be surprised.

The only one that got better for me was Phantom Menace. Thanks to the Clone Wars series, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith got infinitely worse! I’m very much in the #OnlyThreeMovies group (although I liked The Last Jedi).

2 hours ago, dont care said:

The power of memes will do that. Also the Clone Wars series (both of them) were really really good. Revenge of the Sith is the only prequel I legitimately enjoy. I only enjoy 1 and 2 ironically. 

XM4KeeA.png

On 7/13/2021 at 8:02 PM, BBTV said:

What the mother F is this nonsense:

https://www.fanatics.com/mlb/philadelphia-phillies/philadelphia-phillies-new-era-upside-down-59fifty-fitted-hat-red/o-3443+t-92899945+p-04024415684+z-9-2239035110

Philadelphia Phillies New Era Upside Down 59FIFTY Fitted Hat – Red

ff_4204345-7a62aa8cb536f17b4a08alt1_full

This hat belongs to one Will Byers. Must have left it with the Demogorgon in a fanfic about the kids of Stranger Things as young adults in the 90s

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

It's amazing to me after being on the board for so many years , they hypocrisy you see in some of the threads.  There are some uniforms that shouldn't be touched and we know which  ones they are just as much as we know the newer(expansion) teams might have t o find an identity. This is what I think is what's more important in the uniform than anything. Back to the hypocrisy, The Mets are one of those teams that should not be touched. They look perfect now(yes ,the road blue jersey certainly can go and just wear the blue one on the road too if they want). Then, there was a push for the Mets to get rid of the BFBS(as many teams have and look better for it), hell, the Mets front office noticed their mistake and even had to paint the outfield wall to make fans happy. Now that all of the 6 years olds are growing up, there's a push for black. It wasn't OK for me to like the Padres brown/yellow ,Brewers BIG or even a few teams with light blue road uniforms but now that those posters have grown up, it's a different story. I even notice this on the NBA forum(which we have to agree, the 90's was probably the worst decade for uniforms., calling for the DEER, or the Hawks 90s sublimation uniform, but the NBA is a mess and a discussion for another 10-20 year I'm sure. Back to MLB. I've said this a few times, the alternate jerseys are fine as long as you're not deviating from the color palette of the uniform. The 4 leagues went decades with just two main colors along with the white/gray, in most leagues too. Anyway, this is the best the Mets will ever look and I've only seen them win the title in the racing stripes uniforms(which the championship winning uniform is another argument,(looking at you Cavaliers) and these are still better. If you take the home and road(including the sky blue colors of  few teams), the league hasn't looked better, except I would love the Marlins to get their act together(1993 vest please), most of all, YEAH FOR THE PADRES.

BEST METS UNIFORM EVER

A history of Mets home uniforms - Amazin' Avenue

Logos and uniforms of the New York Mets - WikipediaSteve Cohen and Francisco Lindor Have Dinner As Extension Deadline Nears |  Metsmerized Online

7 hours ago, dont care said:

I love Episode III despite all of it’s flaws. The prequel era is such a fun era in the Star Wars universe, and there were some really cool characters despite the awful movies. 

And yeah memes

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

3 hours ago, joekono said:

It wasn't OK for me to like the Padres brown/yellow ,Brewers BIG or even a few teams with light blue road uniforms

It's always been okay to like the Padres in brown and yellow or the Brewers ball-in-glove, not sure what you're going for here.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah, when hadn't the majority consensus for the Padres been "go back to brown and yellow" before they actually did?

Besides, from what I've seen around online, a good chunk of the Mets fanbase loves the black jerseys as alternates.

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Quite frankly, I’d rather see the Mets mine the NY baseball Giants for designs.

spacer.png

Windowpane?

This is what they should’ve worn instead of those awful giant NY uniforms. 
spacer.png

XM4KeeA.png

On 7/17/2021 at 3:47 PM, chcarlson23 said:

I love Episode III despite all of it’s flaws. The prequel era is such a fun era in the Star Wars universe, and there were some really cool characters despite the awful movies. 

And yeah memes

plus, if you watched the clone wars animated series, you have a completely different appreciation for the prequels.

On 7/17/2021 at 3:34 PM, joekono said:

It's amazing to me after being on the board for so many years , they hypocrisy you see in some of the threads.  There are some uniforms that shouldn't be touched and we know which  ones they are just as much as we know the newer(expansion) teams might have t o find an identity. This is what I think is what's more important in the uniform than anything. Back to the hypocrisy, The Mets are one of those teams that should not be touched. They look perfect now(yes ,the road blue jersey certainly can go and just wear the blue one on the road too if they want). Then, there was a push for the Mets to get rid of the BFBS(as many teams have and look better for it), hell, the Mets front office noticed their mistake and even had to paint the outfield wall to make fans happy. Now that all of the 6 years olds are growing up, there's a push for black. It wasn't OK for me to like the Padres brown/yellow ,Brewers BIG or even a few teams with light blue road uniforms but now that those posters have grown up, it's a different story. I even notice this on the NBA forum(which we have to agree, the 90's was probably the worst decade for uniforms., calling for the DEER, or the Hawks 90s sublimation uniform, but the NBA is a mess and a discussion for another 10-20 year I'm sure. Back to MLB. I've said this a few times, the alternate jerseys are fine as long as you're not deviating from the color palette of the uniform. The 4 leagues went decades with just two main colors along with the white/gray, in most leagues too. Anyway, this is the best the Mets will ever look and I've only seen them win the title in the racing stripes uniforms(which the championship winning uniform is another argument,(looking at you Cavaliers) and these are still better. If you take the home and road(including the sky blue colors of  few teams), the league hasn't looked better, except I would love the Marlins to get their act together(1993 vest please), most of all, YEAH FOR THE PADRES.

BEST METS UNIFORM EVER

A history of Mets home uniforms - Amazin' Avenue

Logos and uniforms of the New York Mets - WikipediaSteve Cohen and Francisco Lindor Have Dinner As Extension Deadline Nears |  Metsmerized Online

yes, the mets are wearing their best set right now. but also, the black jersey on its own for one night a week is not upsetting that, at least IMO. and the blue home alt is basically out of the rotation anyway. i guess my argument boils down to: as long as the mets don't touch their primary look and utilize as such, then i'm not going nuclear over the presence of an alternate. especially when that alt (whether it should have been there or not in the first place) has a fair significant place in franchise history (2000 pennant, NL east clincher, 10-run inning, etc.)

sig2024.png

Archived