MLS Kits 2021

kylonian

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Honestly, the league and clubs would probably rather not have SGs, which from their perspective are more pain in the ass than anything.  They would rather the fans be one-way consumers of the product than self-appointed partners in a greater movement. 

From my previous experience working in an NASL ticket office, the SGs were incredibly important considering the limited grassroots support for the sport. They definitely caused some headaches, but they were also major ambassadors for the club in the community & did their best to create a fun environment at the games.

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

In fairness, though, that wasn’t his choice.  He originally wanted a venue large enough to accommodate basketball and hockey but was forced by the city to scale back, making it far less suitable for hosting ice.

He wasn’t justifying his actions, but trying to put the best possible spin on a situation he didn’t like. 

Yeah, I get that logistically there wasn't much they could do to improve the hockey-viewing experience, but it was a pretty tone deaf suggestion.

10 hours ago, BC985 said:

IMO, the simple cannon approach shown here by Arsenal is something New England should copy. Goes with the Revolution nickname, has historical grounds in the Siege of Boston, and a simple approach would be unique among MLS clubs. A cannon or crossed cannon barrels would look good.

The Boston Cannons of Major League Lacrosse - now Cannons Lacrosse Club of the Premier Lacrosse League - thought the same thing. 

cPiqOTIl.jpg?1 

12 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Which is exactly what Bezbatchenko would say. 

Changing the logo without consulting the supporters right or wrong ugly or not was a choice the owner made- an owner who felt he needed to globalise the brand. He has saved the team that the supporters wanted saved he built a stadium closer to the downtown area that would help the team thrive. Have the colours changed- no. Can you still call them the Crew- yes it's encouraged. I'm not crew supporter I'm a fan of the league ( I'm a bit partial to LAFC because it's my home state) I live in England 4 blocks from Man United and see their supporters protesting against the ownership because of what they did to harm the name of the club and football in general. Supporters support the team- the colours. They should be more concerned about their strikers not scoring enough not how ugly a logo is. I can think of 2 major teams in Italy that have changed their logo recently that didn't consult the supporters in order to globalise their brand- Juventus and Inter Milan. The supporters weren't exactly happy but the colours didn't change and neither did their adopted nicknames

1 hour ago, ffdb38 said:

Changing the logo without consulting the supporters right or wrong ugly or not was a choice the owner made- an owner who felt he needed to globalise the brand. He has saved the team that the supporters wanted saved he built a stadium closer to the downtown area that would help the team thrive. Have the colours changed- no. Can you still call them the Crew- yes it's encouraged. I'm not crew supporter I'm a fan of the league ( I'm a bit partial to LAFC because it's my home state) I live in England 4 blocks from Man United and see their supporters protesting against the ownership because of what they did to harm the name of the club and football in general. Supporters support the team- the colours. They should be more concerned about their strikers not scoring enough not how ugly a logo is. I can think of 2 major teams in Italy that have changed their logo recently that didn't consult the supporters in order to globalise their brand- Juventus and Inter Milan. The supporters weren't exactly happy but the colours didn't change and neither did their adopted nicknames

There badges aren't butt ugly though. And Crew was part of the official name since 1996 and now it's not. It's like if the Pittsburgh Steelers said they're now Pittsburgh Football Franchise now and the logo was changed to a clip art design for pee wee football. 

44 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

There badges aren't butt ugly though. And Crew was part of the official name since 1996 and now it's not. It's like if the Pittsburgh Steelers said they're now Pittsburgh Football Franchise now and the logo was changed to a clip art design for pee wee football. 

Is anyone telling you you can't call them the Crew? From what I can tell they are ecouraging you to still call them the crew. As far as "officiality" are you going to be arrested for calling them anything but Columbus SC-I don't think so. Although it's apples and oranges the Washington "Football Team" got rid of a disparaging team name and its litterally caught on as a possible name for the team in the future. With regards to the look of the logo for Juventus is stylized 'J' (loads of creativity there) 

It’s amazing how far some folks will bend over backwards to justify dumb decisions.

Look, if you think the new logo is the next Juventus mark, fine… go ahead and make that case. You’d be wrong, but you could try and I’d hear you out.

But building your argument on “Is anyone telling you you can’t call them the Crew?” is insanity. Yes, it just so happens that the team is telling us that when they literally removed the word from their name.

Don’t let any post-process marketing distract you from the facts: the fans loved the name and the people in charge didn’t care or listen to their advice. When the news leaked that this rebrand was coming and it became very quickly evident that it was going to be massively unpopular, the leadership tried to put the cat back in the bag as far as they could.

That’s the only reason you see marketing spew like “Forever the Crew” and team spokespeople saying “We’re doubling-down on Crew” when their actions are saying the exact opposite.

57 minutes ago, GFB said:

It’s amazing how far some folks will bend over backwards to justify dumb decisions.

Justifying ? no just not questioning it as it's not my team its his

1 hour ago, GFB said:

But building your argument on “Is anyone telling you you can’t call them the Crew?” is insanity. Yes, it just so happens that the team is telling us that when they literally removed the word from their name.

Manchester United = Red Devils  Arsenal= Gunners  Everton=Toffees West Brom =Baggies........ Their supporters have chants with those nicknames. I'm sure there are chants with the 'Crew' that will still be sung by the supporters (probably even louder now) but if you are a supporter and you want to jump off the bus because of this then you really aren't a true supporter are you.

1 hour ago, GFB said:

That’s the only reason you see marketing spew like “Forever the Crew” and team spokespeople saying “We’re doubling-down on Crew” when their actions are saying the exact opposite.

I believe you can buy new gear with 'The Crew' on it. Its called the Columbus Collection

None of your Premier League analogies are comparable though; they are all informal nicknames that developed around the clubs over time. Manchester United was never Manchester Red Devil FC and Arsenal was never the Arsenal Gunners.  If you're going to make an English analogy, the most apt one would be if Tottenham Hotspur rebranded as Tottenham FC and launched a video announcing the rebrand that stated "Forever the Spurs." 

Spurs fans would burn the club to the ground.

I'm sure there are chants with the 'Crew' that will still be sung by the supporters (probably even louder now) but if you are a supporter and you want to jump off the bus because of this then you really aren't a true supporter are you.

I'm choosing to quote this directly because this is such an ass-backwards way of seeing things. All professional sports take place in a make-believe world. Any sort of value or authority these teams have are ONLY due to the emotional and financial investments by their fans. What would change the day-to-day reality in the lives of Jacksonville Jaguars fans if they won ten straight Super Bowls? Absolutely nothing. In other words, professional sports are nothing more than a service industry, and their financial stability and authority comes solely from keeping their audiences happy and engaged.

If you're a Crew supporter, the club needs you far more than you need them. Crew supporters owe the club absolutely nothing; but the club owes them everything. 

That's why Cardiff City fans revolted to Vincent Tan attempting to rebrand them as Dragons and not Bluebirds. That's why the Super League failed. That's why this Columbus rebrand is a disaster. And if you are unable to grasp that concept, then there's no point in arguing with you.

3 hours ago, ffdb38 said:

Is anyone telling you you can't call them the Crew? From what I can tell they are ecouraging you to still call them the crew. As far as "officiality" are you going to be arrested for calling them anything but Columbus SC-I don't think so. Although it's apples and oranges the Washington "Football Team" got rid of a disparaging team name and its litterally caught on as a possible name for the team in the future. With regards to the look of the logo for Juventus is stylized 'J' (loads of creativity there) 

Only because the supporter groups as a whole said, "Where's the Crew name"? The other issue is that weird triangle that no one can explain what it is? Is it a Doritos chip? Is it that crazy MLS community, club, city allusion? Nope! It's just a triangle because they can't stand having blank space. 

16 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I’m in.  I’ll buy one. 

Columbus's jersey has the new badge. So now we know why they had to trip over themselves to get that new thing posted. If they hadn't they'd have left MLS explaining that mess.