NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

7 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I felt the same way when North Dakota announced its rebrand from Fighting Sioux. The other options, which included Roughriders, Sundogs and (my preference) Nodaks, were all more unique than the eventual choice, Fighting Hawks.  Much like with Marquette, its as if in making their choice they favored the least controversial over the most interesting. 

It's easy to understand why they did, especially for campuses in which the nickname topic had come to define entire eras. It's just unfortunate they couldn't add a little risk into the equation. We'd have had some better outcomes. 

In Washington's case, it's hard to avoid the conclusion that they chose a bland placeholder name specifically out of spite for being forced to change.  Maybe in hopes that the fanbase would rebel and they could use the backlash to keep their original name.

That combination of pettiness and ineptitude would be perfectly appropriate for Snyder. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

In Washington's case, it's hard to avoid the conclusion that they chose a bland placeholder name specifically out of spite for being forced to change.  Maybe in hopes that the fanbase would rebel and they could use the backlash to keep their original name.

That combination of pettiness and ineptitude would be perfectly appropriate for Snyder. 

Dan Snyder is indeed a petty, spiteful man but I don't think you can use the placeholder name of "Football Team" as proof of that. It takes years to create a new brand and corporate identity, and the 'Skins sponsors rebelling essentially forced a change overnight. 

• Like 4

If anything, going with that placeholder showed restraint and maturity (which doesn't cancel out the previous decades of brazenness and immaturity).   

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

They were never going to change back to the old name., much like how Cleveland will never go back it its old name, no matter the backlash. 

Washington's bland placeholder name was due specifically to a lack of time in creating a good brand between June 2020 and September 2020. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

They were never going to change back to the old name., much like how Cleveland will never go back it its old name, no matter the backlash.

of course not.  But I wouldn’t put it past Snyder to think he could find a way. 

Do I think it could ever have happened?  Of course not.  But I can’t entirely discount that he thought it might happen.   That’s how little regard I have for him. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Washington's bland placeholder name was due specifically to a lack of time in creating a good brand between June 2020 and September 2020. 

They've been on notice and fighting the inevitable change for about two decades. To claim "lack of time" is  disingenuous.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, guest23 said:

They've been on notice and fighting the inevitable change for about two decades. To claim "lack of time" is  disingenuous.

Snyder was dead set on keeping the name until he got the call from FedEx and other corporations. 

• Like 2

Washington Dreamers might work, though it might be a bit too wispy, a bit too abstract for football. 

Would describe a lot of people and events in this town, as well as the jackasses that are half-asleep and  drive 40mph on the beltway. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, guest23 said:

Sounds like he lacks the foresight to be a competent franchise owner/operator.

Not sure if anyone could have predicted 2020 with high confidence. 

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

Not sure if anyone could have predicted 2020 with high confidence. 

Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out your teams racist name has a short life expectancy and should have a fall back in mind when the inevitable comes.

• Like 14

They should be called the Washington I'M SICK OF THIS TOPIC SO MUCH IT IS EXTREMELY ANNOYING PLEASE CHANGE THE TEAM NAME ALREADY SO WE CAN ALL MOVE ON WITH ON OUR LIVES AND LIVE IN PEACE PLEASE GOD I BEG YOU.

It's a little long but I think it could work.

• Like 29

bSLCtu2.png

16 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

I mean the San Diego Chargers uniforms were close to perfect once they started favoring the powder blues over the Navy. The LA Chargers rebrand was actually a downgrade, but since they didn't change a ton, it was hard to :censored: it up. The Rams took what should have been an easy decision to make the old pre-St. Louis move unis or something close to it their full time uni and didn't do that. So anything they put out was going to be a WTF moment. They just chose to REALLY miss that easy mark and are now inching back toward it. 

The current Chargers look is way better than the previous design. The one drawback is the navy set with the white helmet. It's not a good look. If they bring in a navy helmet next year, it'll improve immediately. 

• Like 12

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The current Chargers look is way better than the previous design. The one drawback is the navy set with the white helmet. It's not a good look. If they bring in a navy helmet next year, it'll improve immediately. 

We'll have to agree to disagree. I wasn't a fan of the number change, the yellow pants with the white jersey, the removal of the stripes that the bolts lived in, and the navy uniform is hot garbage now (full disclosure I loathe jerseys and pants matching color in football so you can imagine how I've felt about the "color rush" nonsense). The 2020 royal blue uni is similarly cursed IMO but I think the use of yellow on the helmet bolt and pants makes it every so slightly better.  But again a downgrade over its 2019 analogue. 

That said, other than the navy, none of the changes were really huge downgrades, just small ones IMO. The overall look is similar. And I do like the numbers on the helmets so that was actually an improvement. 

Contrasted with the Rams who should have just reverted back to their classic 80's-90's look, one that is heavily associated with both LA and their only Super Bowl win during the early St. Louis years... and instead they came out with the disjointed horns, plastic gradient numbers, brighter yellow, and the bone... This year's uniform starts to fix that, but really it's a no brainer what they need to do. They need look no further than their rivals to the north in Santa Clara to know what needs to be done. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, dont care said:

Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out your teams racist name has a short life expectancy and should have a fall back in mind when the inevitable comes.

It wasn't inevitable. It took billions of dollars in race-riot-related property damage in response to a murder during a quarantine for a pandemic that has killed 600,000+ Americans to get the requisite pressure to change the name. Take the pandemic away, the chain reaction never starts, and they still have the Forbidden Word.

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫