NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

12 hours ago, guest23 said:

There are few round number fonts that work well in gridiron football. I think the bears get a pass simply due to longevity. The rams font does not belong in the nfl but if you removed the textured /swirl treatment, it would look good on the pitch or basketball court.

I guess I completely disagree. I think this font works well. It's a legible, gothic font that doesn't have some of the stupid treatments with serifs and mix of angled/round edges that other teams have (Browns, Vikings, Dolphins). 

Edit to add: by Gothic I meant "century gothic". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_Gothic

• Like 7

1 hour ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

I guess I completely disagree. I think this font works well. It's a legible, gothic font that doesn't have some of the stupid treatments with serifs and mix of angled/round edges that other teams have (Browns, Vikings, Dolphins). 

Gothic? Their font is nowhere close to gothic. Not anywhere close to the same style even.

• Like 1

Edit to add: by Gothic I meant "century gothic". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_Gothic

Where in my statement did I mention legibility? I'm speaking from an aesthetic standpoint that the font is not a good fit for the sports uniform for which it is being applied.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, guest23 said:

Where in my statement did I mention legibility? I'm speaking from an aesthetic standpoint that the font is not a good fit for the sports uniform for which it is being applied.

I'm explaining why I think this font works well for a football uniform by comparing it to other football uniform numbers that have flaws that this font does not have. From an aesthetic standpoint, I think this font is a perfect fit for an NFL uniform.

I'm explaining why I think this font works well for a football uniform by comparing it to other football uniform numbers that have flaws that this font does not have. From an aesthetic standpoint, I think this font varsity block is a perfect fit for an NFL uniform.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

I'm explaining why I think this font works well for a football uniform by comparing it to other football uniform numbers that have flaws that this font does not have. From an aesthetic standpoint, I think this font is a perfect fit for an NFL uniform.

Just because "it's a perfect fit for an NFL uniform" doesn't mean it's a perfect fit for a Rams uniform. They played for nearly 50 years in LA before moving to St. Louis, and never used anything but a block font. Is this as gimmicky as the Bucs alarm clock numbers? No. Does that mean it was a good choice for the Rams to use? Also no.

• Like 2

I vehemently dislike the modern approach to designing numbers. They've tried way to hard to reinvent the wheel at the cost of a well balanced uniform. I still have a hard time believing they're classically educated designers

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 1:39 PM, spartacat_12 said:

It looks like they made the numbers out of fruit roll ups. Much like every other aspect of this rebrand, they were overthinking when it came to the font.

spacer.png

This was such a slam dunk of a rebrand and they just couldn't stop themselves from ruining it.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, O.C.D said:

I vehemently dislike the modern approach to designing numbers. They've tried way to hard to reinvent the wheel at the cost of a well balanced uniform. I still have a hard time believing they're classically educated designers

Unfortunately I think it has less to do with trying to design a good look and more to do with a new prerequisite to have custom numbers.  I recall reading (probably here) that one of the main motivators for the introduction of unique number fonts is to curb counterfeiters from producing accurate knockoffs.  The Vikings nailed it with a clever tweak to a traditional look, fortified with an extra level of minutiae of doing it on the leading number. The Seahawks and Rams also have the extra layers in addition to the custom shape. I'm afraid that this is the way going forward. Bad structural design and superfluous details on top. It's going to get ugly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

They played for nearly 50 years in LA before moving to St. Louis, and never used anything but a block font.

The STL era jersey numbers are considered a block font? 

See the source image

• Like 3

Hotter Than July > Thriller

1 hour ago, O.C.D said:

What is a "classically educated designer"?

• Like 9

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

They left their parents at age 14 in search of a better life. Eventually they take up an apprenticeship with a master designer and toil away for years, perfecting their craft. Eventually, when they're good enough, they try to join the local guild and set up their own sports branding design shop. As it has been done since the 1600s on this continent

• Like 21

11 hours ago, dont care said:

Gothic? Their font is nowhere close to gothic. Not anywhere close to the same style even.

I don't mean to be pedantic for the sake of being pedantic, but since this is a forum built around design: It is essentially gothic. "Gothic" is simply another way to refer to a sans-serif alphabet. There's a reason why Century Gothic includes the word "Gothic" in its name. Helvetica, Arial, Futura; they're all gothic typefaces. One could make the argument that the 2 in the Rams numbers technically has a slab serif, but otherwise, that set of numbers is very close Helvetica Bold Condensed.

What I'm presuming you're thinking of is blackletter, sometimes referred to as gothic script. While blackletter may be what a lot of people think of when they hear "gothic font", a lot of people also apparently thought that the Bengals uniforms from 2004 to 2020 were essentially the same as those prior to it.

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, Ted Cunningham said:

I don't mean to be pedantic for the sake of being pedantic, but since this is a forum built around design: It is essentially gothic. "Gothic" is simply another way to refer to a sans-serif alphabet. There's a reason why Century Gothic includes the word "Gothic" in its name. Helvetica, Arial, Futura; they're all gothic typefaces. One could make the argument that the 2 in the Rams numbers technically has a slab serif, but otherwise, that set of numbers is very close Helvetica Bold Condensed.

What I'm presuming you're thinking of is blackletter, sometimes referred to as gothic script. While blackletter may be what a lot of people think of when they hear "gothic font", a lot of people also apparently thought that the Bengals uniforms from 2004 to 2020 were essentially the same as those prior to it.

Thank you! I could've sworn I was right, but considering my graphic design school was 20 years ago I wouldn't put it past my brain to mess up that detail. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NormMacdonald said:

They left their parents at age 14 in search of a better life. Eventually they take up an apprenticeship with a master designer and toil away for years, perfecting their craft. Eventually, when they're good enough, they try to join the local guild and set up their own sports branding design shop. As it has been done since the 1600s on this continent

spacer.png

• Like 21

4 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

a designer who's been educated scholastically

2 hours ago, NormMacdonald said:

Can you imagine how much better modern artists would be if they were able to dedicate themselves like this?