NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

35 minutes ago, the admiral said:

It wasn't inevitable. It took billions of dollars in race-riot-related property damage in response to a murder during a quarantine for a pandemic that has killed 600,000+ Americans to get the requisite pressure to change the name. Take the pandemic away, the chain reaction never starts, and they still have the Forbidden Word.

That was hardly a race riot. In fact, the most diverse public backlash to racial justice in our country's history. That capitol cosplay was more more along the lines of a race riot.

• Like 13
  • Applause 1

Anyway, the point is all the protesting about the R-Words and the Cleveland Indians and the Atlanta Braves never amounted to a hill of crap until everyone lost their minds over everything all at once, burned cities to the ground, and struck fear into the hearts of multinational corporations' middle management. Native Americans weren't even the main characters in their own story. So, like, what sort of full-fledged contingency plan did the team ever really think it needed to deal with some journalists' hobbyhorse?

• Like 11

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

49 minutes ago, the admiral said:

burned cities to the ground

I didn’t know a couple blocks of Milwaukee qualified as “cities”

• Like 6

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

1 hour ago, TenaciousG said:

I'm not sure where you live, but parts of several cities - including mine - were literally burnt to the ground.  I live in a very dense part of a very dense city, and we had 6PM curfew and I was scared just to walk outside of my door because there was either fires, dynamite blowing up ATMs, brutality (much of it caused by gas-happy police), seemingly-random violence, oh... and fires.  I'd be willing to bet that I was glued to this site 24/7 just to be distracted.

• Like 7

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I'm not sure where you live, but parts of several cities - including mine - were literally burnt to the ground.  I live in a very dense part of a very dense city, and we had 6PM curfew and I was scared just to walk outside of my door because there was either fires, dynamite blowing up ATMs, brutality (much of it caused by gas-happy police), seemingly-random violence, oh... and fires.  I'd be willing to bet that I was glued to this site 24/7 just to be distracted.

This was my experience before I moved to the suburbs last year. Lots of damage from lots of people with lots of anger with no effective mediation from anyone who could or should. It sucked. There were very bad people on all sides. But the guys with guns and riot gear and tear gas generally made things worse (including indiscriminately killing Black people) instead of making them better.

I'm reading a book right now called Bubbleball about the 2020 NBA restart and boy is it weird revisiting that point in time, just as it's weird revisiting that point in time right in this very thread. Wasn't so long ago but feels almost out of body at this point.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, TenaciousG said:

Yeah this is a terrible idea of what actually happened. Regardless of what you believe about the issues that created everything, many cities across the US and I believe other parts of the world were actually burned down. In Minneapolis, there are still sections of neighborhoods that have most of their businesses either burned down or closed because of the looting. It’s more than a couple of blocks. It was a really big deal. It’s not something that should be brushed under the rug like that...

• Like 4

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

1 minute ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

This was my experience before I moved to the suburbs last year. Lots of damage from lots of people with lots of anger with no effective mediation from anyone who could or should. It sucked. There were very bad people on all sides. But the guys with guns and riot gear and tear gas generally made things worse (including indiscriminately killing Black people) instead of making them better.

I'm reading a book right now called Bubbleball about the 2020 NBA restart and boy is it weird revisiting that point in time, just as it's weird revisiting that point in time right in this very thread. Wasn't so long ago but feels almost out of body at this point.

TBH, thinking back to one year ago makes me more emotional than I care to admit.  It was a bad time for a lot of people everywhere, but it was a different experience for people that were literally in big urban centers watching it (or, participating in it) right outside their door.  I kinda never want to talk about it again.

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

22 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

In Minneapolis, there are still sections of neighborhoods that have most of their businesses either burned down or closed because of the looting. It’s more than a couple of blocks

Which neighborhoods/areas? I was on Lake Street and West Broadway doing clean-up last summer and I've been back recently and both areas have bounced back well. Are there still some burnt buildings or lots? Yes. But they are certainly not "burned down" and it is certainly not "more than a couple of blocks." Do you live outstate?

• Like 7

1 minute ago, seasaltvanilla said:

Which neighborhoods/areas? I was on Lake Street and West Broadway doing clean-up last summer and I've been back recently and both areas have bounced back well. Are there still some burnt buildings or lots? Yes. But they are certainly not "burned down" and it is certainly not "more than a couple of blocks." Do you live outstate?

No I’m not out of state. I live in the Twin Cities. And while it certainly has bounced back, there are areas that still aren’t great. North Minneapolis and some of the areas near Brooklyn Center and Robbinsdale are still looking rough. To be fair they were a little rough before, but they’re still looking rough from the rioting.  

The areas of Northeast especially Beltrami, and other places like Lowry Hill and Uptown are doing much, much better, but there was still a lot more damage done than “a couple blocks in Milwaukee” is really what I’m trying to say. It just felt like that comment was trying to push off everything just as minor disruptions, rather than the fact that there were nightly curfews, many buildings burned and looted all across Minneapolis, and the National Guard was called in to crowd control. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

There was relatively little rioting in Robbinsdale and Brookyln Center, certainly not to the extent of Lake Street. As you said those suburbs have always been lower SES, but I don't think you can blame their current conditions on what happened last May, and I disagree with characterizing those areas as still "burned down." I don't think over-exaggerating is the answer to under-selling.

Outstate means someone from Greater Minnesota, ie not the Twin Cities or metro area.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, seasaltvanilla said:

There was relatively little rioting in Robbinsdale and Brookyln Center, certainly not to the extent of Lake Street. As you said those suburbs have always been lower SES, but I don't think you can blame their current conditions on what happened last May, and I disagree with characterizing those areas as still "burned down." I don't think over-exaggerating is the answer to under-selling.

Outstate means someone from Greater Minnesota, ie not the Twin Cities or metro area.

I grew up in White Bear, and currently live in Roseville, but I do spend a lot of time in Minneapolis visiting friends that live there, and I spend a lot of my free time exploring Minneapolis more. I thought you meant I lived out of state. I don’t know if I’ve ever heard of outstate as a term for someone outside of the Twin Cities. 

I guess it still feels like there’s left over effects from the rioting all over the city. There’s still scars from it. Maybe I don’t have the best perspective, not actually living in Minneapolis, but I’m not trying to over exaggerate. And the take that there was only a few bad blocks in one city is really selling the extent of what happened short...

ALRIGHT that's enough talk about riots. I see how it got here, and I get that discussion veers off when there's not much to talk about, but drop the riot/politics talk because it's going to go down paths it has gone down before and don't end well.

If it's not about NFL uniform or logo changes for 2021, don't post it.

• Like 16