2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

9 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Boy do I ever hope that Devils leak is nothing more than a prototype. What an absolute disaster. All the ideas they could have gone with and they went with that!?

it was a well thought out exercise in looking at all the stock fonts in Illustrator.  

• Like 3

23 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

My preferred alternate logo would be the P from the ‘90s wordmark in front of a triangle (recolored, of course).

spacer.png

Whenever I see this wordmark, I want the hook on the P to continue forming the truss of one of the city's yellow bridges. The underline under the wordmark could build into the base of the bridge. It's probably a dumb idea, but I'd like to see it.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2021 at 8:43 AM, the admiral said:

Love that script, never should have deviated from it. Wordmarks should have more prominence in the NHL than they do.

Wordmarks are one of the primary reasons the Kings have been dealing with an identity crisis the last decade.

They they won their first cup it was the first year that the alts were promoted to the primary look but the helmets had the Gretzky-era wordmark.

127724100.jpg

Then the helmet wordmark was replaced with the logo font.

523359170-850x560.jpeg

And now they're in this weird, seemingly transitional period where they're both using a new promotional wordmark (with a modernized throwback alternate) and bringing back the Gretzky-era one in full force (to the point that it gets equal billing on the scoreboards and one of the big in-arena giveaways are giant chrome Chevrolet-logo chains).

cut.jpg

242571839_10159838187774239_105460908077

E_XUe5hXoAY5yhN?format=jpg&name=medium

So, I don't know if this is just proof that wordmarks in hockey mean nothing or if this combined for the love of the reverse retro look is leading this to be a weird hodge podge year before a complete rebrand.

• Like 2

VmWIn6B.png

On 11/20/2021 at 3:26 PM, Ark said:

Lmaoooo that is hilarious.

The jersey says what it is

So the helmets say “helmet?”

• Like 2

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

15 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

I wish NHL teams would follow the NBA's lead and wear their special edition uniforms for an entire game. It'd make the events feel much more meaningful, and it'd make the league a lot more colorful.

gross.  no thanks

• Like 16

On 11/21/2021 at 9:57 AM, IceCap said:

It feels repetitive though. 

Not as repetitive as having the same logo on all three jerseys, in my opinion.

And I feel like people dislike the robo penguin because it 1) replaced a logo associated with back to back Cups and 2) it was associated with a downturn in franchise history, both on the ice and financially. 

Then they went back to the skating penguin and won some more Stanley Cups.

Not disputing any of those points.  I just think that as long as the Skating Penguin is on the front of the main jerseys, a shoulder patch on an alternate shouldn't be looked at as some sacrilegious thing...  Especially since it was on the jersey they're throwing back to to begin with. 

Like it or not one logo is associated with the franchise winning and one logo...isn't. 

They never won anything in powder blue or navy and they used those as alternates for years.  It's the 1992-02 era's turn...  Give us the actual jersey.

• Like 3

On 11/21/2021 at 11:43 AM, the admiral said:

Love that script, never should have deviated from it. Wordmarks should have more prominence in the NHL than they do.

It always makes me think of those old collectible mini mugs that had the logo on one side & the team's wordmark on the other.

spacer.png

• Like 8

https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/a-new-era-dressed-in-black--feature/c-328227424

I can tolerate a certain amount of marketing-speak, but this explanation is just way too much. Do people in NJ really care that there are 21 stripes for 21 counties, or that they're gonna wear it 13 times in honour of Nico Hischier? 

Somehow they have been working on it since 2018, and this is the best they could come up with. The VP of Marketing even says this:

"Our fans were potentially expecting something a little different, but they were longing for black. For us as a brand, and as a team, it's the ability to pay homage to our past but take this bold step forward as a brand. And I think that's the most critical piece."

When you start off by saying, "our fans didn't necessarily want this", maybe you didn't go into this with the right attitude.

• Like 3

The Devils jersey is such a joke. The fanbase has wanted a black alternate for yearssss. It's so easy to make a good black Devils jersey, there are tons of concepts. Somehow they came up with this.

What are the stripes? "Homage to the Newark Bulldogs" Why? A team that played one season in 1928?  They have no significance whatsoever. I have never heard one Devils fan or hockey fan in the area ever mention them. 

The 5 stripes  at the top represent the 5 retired banners? what? Nobody thinks of the Devils and thinks OH YES, the team with 5 retired jerseys! If anything, the 3 Cups would have made more sense...

The best one is the "21 stripes representing the 21 NJ counties" lol...who even knew there were 21 counties in NJ? That is not something people keep track of. Not to mention - South Jersey is a lot of Philly fans as it is closer to Philadelphia than Newark.

Just a complete miss all around. It has no connection to the Devils whatsoever. I can't believe after 40 years of no alternate jersey, this is what they came up with lol and now they have to wear it for 3+ years.

Oh I forgot to mention: very clever idea of them to have Brodeur be the poster boy for the jersey so fans *might* not hate on is as much. smh

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kiwi_canadian said:

Please enjoy Patrick Warburton explaining the new Devils third jersey.

Okay getting Puddy to narrate your video unveiling is great, but other than that it's like every other decision they made was wrong or stupid or just to piss me off personally lol. Solid black gear, why? Captain letters on the wrong side, why? Drop shadow on the numbers like their archrivals the Rangers, why?

Why does this jersey even exist?

15 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

This was hard:

PMHzWcD.png

I'd argue it looks even worse now lol. It's not the Jersey script that is the problem, it's everything else surrounding it imo

3 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Okay getting Puddy to narrate your video unveiling is great, but other than that it's like every other decision they made was wrong or stupid or just to piss me off personally lol. Solid black gear, why? Captain letters on the wrong side, why? Drop shadow on the numbers like their archrivals the Rangers, why?

Why does this jersey even exist?

I'd argue it looks even worse now lol. It's not the Jersey script that is the problem, it's everything else surrounding it imo

lol what? That script is so so bad