2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

The article noticeably didn't mention whether they're putting them on the sleeves or right on the front.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 minute ago, BBTV said:

The article noticeably didn't mention whether they're putting them on the sleeves or right on the front.

Not sure how accurate it is, but the picture posted with the article placed the ads at the top left of the chest, where the C/A is usually placed. At least the NBA picked real estate that wasn't really being used already.

I can't wait until we get a team wearing an anniversary patch then making a Cup Final. The captains will end up looking like this:

spacer.png

I knew it was coming but not so soon. I'm pissed. I can't help but think it's because of the people who were okay with helmets ads, naively thinking it would stop there. There were all over social media posting stuff like "who cares, we can't see helmets most of the time" and my favorite "they'll remove the ads once people are allowed back in the rinks". There was almost no pushback from anyone, even on this very forum, we were a minority. And the league JUST welcomed a new expansion team with a $650M fee. Incredible. So damn greedy, and now the league is gonna look like a tier 2 minor league with all those ads. Bush league. This will help grow the sport in the southern states, no doubt

If the one league out of the five major leagues that resisted having the manufacturer's logo on their game-worn jerseys finally gave in, nothing was off the table for the other leagues.

I'm disappointed, but this won't make me give up the NHL. I'm a soccer fan. I've accepted ads on jerseys. I don't have to like it, but I can live with it.

• Like 7

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

So where are all the people who trusted the NHL and parroted the "the ads on the helmets are just for one season, it won't be extended" now? Because I think anyone with a brain knew this was going to happen. It's creeping normality. You start on the helmets, for just one season. You extend it another season. Then you allow it on the sweaters. And then it's normal. The NBA opened the door to this, it was inevitable.

For the NBA, it was merely "an experiment." NHL claimed it was to "recover pandemic losses." It's like all those fees airlines added after 9/11, then they never went away.

• Like 12

I love the morons on here blaming other posters and fans for this. “It’s all YOUR fault!” Lmao. Get over yourselves. This is being done because it makes the league and its teams more money. Period. Whether we all like or it not, whether we all pushed back or not, none of it matters. The fact is that it’s an untapped revenue source. No amount of bitching on a message board or twitter was ever going to change that.

• Like 4

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

2 hours ago, philly97flyer said:

I love the morons on here blaming other posters and fans for this. “It’s all YOUR fault!” Lmao. Get over yourselves. This is being done because it makes the league and its teams more money. Period. Whether we all like or it not, whether we all pushed back or not, none of it matters. The fact is that it’s an untapped revenue source. No amount of bitching on a message board or twitter was ever going to change that.

Yeah no amount of protest ever changed anything right? All I have to say is, just cause you want to bend over and accept everything including blatant greed disgracing the sanctity of sports uniforms doesn't mean I should and maybe you're on the wrong forum, then. Also, keep the name calling to a minimum there, bud

• Like 6

1 minute ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Yeah no amount of protest ever changed anything right? All I have to say is, just cause you want to bend over and accept everything including blatant greed disgracing the sanctity of sports uniforms, then maybe you're on the wrong forum. Also, keep the name calling to a minimum there, bud

Yes I am SHOCKED that the masses are not rushing to the streets to protest…(checks notes)…ads on NHL jerseys. Also the people who are complaining about this were probably the most pro-lockdown people over the last year+, so guess what? That lost money has to be made up somehow. Welcome to the real world, bud.

• Like 1

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

I mean, I can't see the NHL falling too far into the rabbit hole besides a mere patch, anyways. It's pretty damn obvious that jersey ads aren't that much of a boon at the NBA/NHL level, otherwise they'd have been far more prominent in the NBA then they are with how goddamn little care the NBA has for their jersey aesthetics.

It's unideal, obviously, but so is everything about the last two years. And at the end of the day, sports owners will always do what makes them more money, even if it's a small amount. Accepting that's made it easier to deal with stuff like this.

Besides, I have to wonder if the jersey ads in the AHL were always them floating the idea around. They do that a lot in the AHL, and the fact nobody complained then likely influenced their decision.

• Like 1

:censored: this. I understand that teams lost money because of the pandemic. So did most of us! This is greed, plain and simple. I fully expected it, but I was hoping that somehow it wouldn't happen. Mad respect to any team that says screw  it and just throws their own logo on the patch.

• Like 2

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 minute ago, philly97flyer said:

Yes I am SHOCKED that the masses are not rushing to the streets to protest…(checks notes)…ads on NHL jerseys. Also the people who are complaining about this were probably the most pro-lockdown people over the last year+, so guess what? That lost money has to be made up somehow. Welcome to the real world, bud.

Lmao if you're gonna rush to a sports aesthetic forum to flame the users for not liking ad creep you should get some better material than the same old "MUH LOST FUNDS" we always hear. Maybe you would have a better time feeling morally superior in your defense of billionaires on sites such as reddit or twitter.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, QCS said:

Mad respect to any team that says screw  it and just throws their own logo on the patch.

If they were going to do that, they would've done it already with the helmet logos. It's not going to happen.

There isn't a single owner in the league who is going to put tradition over money.

• Like 5

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

1 minute ago, ManillaToad said:

Lmao if you're gonna rush to a sports aesthetic forum to flame the users for not liking ad creep you should get some better material than the same old "MUH LOST FUNDS" we always hear. Maybe you would have a better time feeling morally superior in your defense of billionaires on sites such as reddit or twitter.

Maybe reading comprehension is difficult, so I’ll explain again. I’m not “flaming” anyone for not liking an ad creep. I don’t like the ad creep either.  But to blame posters on this board and other people on the internet for this is some real galaxy brain stuff. Also, billionaires don’t bother me, and I really don’t care what anyone thinks about it.

• Like 2

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

4 hours ago, philly97flyer said:

You're trivializing the point of the argument. It's not about the patches, it's about the blatant greed. It's about the average middle class family who can't take their kids to a game anymore because the tickets are unaffordable. You don't think they already made up for the loss money with Seattle's expansion fee and ESPN's contract? You don't think this is pure unadultered greed? You can be jaded all you want but I'm tired of seeing ads everywhere. They've made all the money they can with ads already. IIRC, helmet ads didn't bring much more than $1M in revenue per team. This is a joke. $1M to a billionaire is peanuts. It's not worth making the product look awful for what amounts to pocket change for these owners. I'm willing to bet a LOT of these owners didn't even lose money because of the lockdown. You think the Habs owner Geoff Molson didn't sell any beer during the lockdown? Just an example but you get the point. Amazon made a killing. So did ebay.  The pandemic didn't hurt the upper-upper class

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, philly97flyer said:

Maybe reading comprehension is difficult, so I’ll explain again. I’m not “flaming” anyone for not liking an ad creep. I don’t like the ad creep either.  But to blame posters on this board and other people on the internet for this is some real galaxy brain stuff. Also, billionaires don’t bother me, and I really don’t care what anyone thinks about it.

Not liking ad creep but defending it online - for free - seems like a galaxy brain way to spend your day.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, QCS said:

:censored: this. I understand that teams lost money because of the pandemic. So did most of us! This is greed, plain and simple. I fully expected it, but I was hoping that somehow it wouldn't happen. Mad respect to any team that says screw  it and just throws their own logo on the patch.

Let's face it. they're all gonna have a patch. The three richest teams, the Habs, Leafs and Rangers chose to go with helmet ads. I fully expect every team to disgrace their uniform further for a few extra bucks

• Like 4