2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

1 hour ago, mcj882000 said:

I genuinely dislike how much advertising creeps into literally everything anymore. Frankly I envy y'all who say this isn't a big deal, because I've found uniform ads in the NBA and NHL so distracting that I have to turn the games off after a while; they just steal my focus that much. It sucks and I hate it.

Yeah I hate to say I envy people who don't care about ads, but I do a bit because I was in a constant state of frustration watching last season's playoffs and seeing those damn helmet ads every 15 seconds. I straight up stopped watching baseball because the "manufacturer" ad on the front annoyed me that much. No way am I toughing it out once the sweaters get patches

56 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Thanking my lucky stars that the Caps won their Cup without GEICO on their uniform.

Oh man I can't be more thankful for the timing of St. Louis' Cup. Pre-helmet ads, pre-jersey ads, pre-covid.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EddieJ1984 said:

Sorry but if you've stopped watching MLB because of a Nike swoosh on the jersey (Oh no how DARE I say the name of the company!) you weren't a real fan of the sport to begin with.

Agreed. If a simple logo ruins the entire sport for you, that’s ridiculous. 

• Like 11

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

1 minute ago, EddieJ1984 said:

Sorry but if you've stopped watching MLB because of a Nike swoosh on the jersey (Oh no how DARE I say the name of the company!) you weren't a real fan of the sport to begin with.

I put "manufacturer" in quotes because nike just slapped their logo on the majority of uniforms that were made by majestic. Which I believe makes them no different than your typical corporate advertising patch 🤔 I apologize for not saying the name of what is apparently your favorite apparel brand, I didn't realize it would upset you this much. I also didn't mention the various other reasons that went into why I stopped watching baseball because they're all off topic.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, EddieJ1984 said:

Honestly I don't really care if I don't meet your criteria of what makes a "real fan". If "real fans" are supposed to just stay in line and uncritically accept distracting exercises of corporate greed then no, I guess I never was one. Oh well. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

I put "manufacturer" in quotes because nike just slapped their logo on the majority of uniforms that were made by majestic. Which I believe makes them no different than your typical corporate advertising patch 🤔 I apologize for not saying the name of what is apparently your favorite apparel brand, I didn't realize it would upset you this much. I also didn't mention the various other reasons that went into why I stopped watching baseball because they're all off topic.

Nike's not my favorite clothing brand, I think they're typically overpriced crap and hate that most leagues have switched to hem, since jerseys and shirts all cost more money now to buy.

I just find it humorous how so anti-corporate you are that you go out of your way to avoid typing the name of the company. Its like when I see someone on their blog mention a football team's stadium got a new name, but I digress.

Also I will take back about the real fan part if there was other reasons coupled with the nike swoosh (btw stop pretending like you'd be ok with it if Nike themselves produced the jerseys, it does stink having the swoosh on the front and not the sleeve) that has brought you to stop watching. Hell I was just thinking I'm glad I got all the replica Phillies jerseys I like a few years ago so the front doesn't have the swoosh.

40 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

Honestly I don't really care if I don't meet your criteria of what makes a "real fan". If "real fans" are supposed to just stay in line and uncritically accept distracting exercises of corporate greed then no, I guess I never was one. Oh well. 🤷‍♂️

My post wasn't directed towards you, I mean again if this was the sole decision you stopped watching baseball altogether than that's kind of sad.

And to be on topic, it definitely sucks the NHL is doing this, I hate what the NBA has started. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

There are so many other aspects to the game than the aesthetics.

• Like 4

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

16 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

There are so many other aspects to the game than the aesthetics.

And yet the aesthetics of the game are incredibly important, often to an underappreciated level. I mean, that's why we're here, right? All of us have to cheer for a team that plays like garbage some/most of the time, but how many of us want to cheer for a team that looks like garbage - or in this case, walking billboards?

• Like 4

This was just a matter of time for the jersey ads. For us jersey obsessed people, it sucks, but in the end of the day I don't think the average fan is going to care. Yes it is all about the money and after have no butts in seats for about a season and a half, they need as much money as possible. The NHL on the North American sports landscape is probably number 4 or 5 in popularity and was always going to have an issue with money, espcially in the non traditional markets. 

When it comes to the actual jerseys, many were upset with the helmet ads but after people saw them on ice, many stopped caring as it didn't really take away from the overall look. They won't appear on the Fanatic jerseys or the Adidas Premier jerseys for fans to buy and unless you are getting a game worn jersey (although I thought I read somewhere that that was not going to be possible under Adidas) then we won't have ads on the jerseys. On TV or in the stands, they won't really be noticable. I remember going to a few Salmon Kings games back in Victoria when they were around and even right up on the boards, the Save-On-Foods patch was not noticable.

Personally I don't like the idea of ads on the jersey for traditional reasons and that the NHL has lasted this long without them but I also know that this was bound to happen and it won't really take away from the overall look of the team on the ice... In the end, the die hard fans care more about the performance on the ice more than what they are wearing, at least thats how it is here in Oil Country.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mcj882000 said:

And yet the aesthetics of the game are incredibly important, often to an underappreciated level. I mean, that's why we're here, right? All of us have to cheer for a team that plays like garbage some/most of the time, but how many of us want to cheer for a team that looks like garbage - or in this case, walking billboards?

I will still celebrate the Blackhawks winning the Cup even if they're walking billboards. Yes, we're here to discuss sports aesthetics primarily, but it's not the only thing that we're here for and some of us support teams for reasons other than what they wear.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

Lmao if you're gonna rush to a sports aesthetic forum to flame the users for not liking ad creep you should get some better material than the same old "MUH LOST FUNDS" we always hear. Maybe you would have a better time feeling morally superior in your defense of billionaires on sites such as reddit or twitter.

Posters will always be among friends at r/hockey if they want to argue that everything Bettman and the owners do is Actually Good

6 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Again, the reason Euro leagues look the way they do is to cover travel expenses

What travel expenses, to cover Premier League teams walking down the street?

• Like 5

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I’m sorry, but ads on uniforms are garbage. No I’m not gonna quit watching over them, but I just have to say the uniforms are the last pure thing. It’s your city, nickname, and colors…adding a giant Burger King patch makes you look like a cheap whore…especially with your field/boards/scoreboards littered with ads. I didn’t even mention tickets, merchandise, concessions or even tv deals, commercials,  the power ball power play or Allegheny health injury report (I’m in Pittsburgh). I know the nhl isn’t as big as mlb, but the pirates turn a profit before the first pitch of the season. I don’t feel sorry that there were empty seats last year…plus they tarped those seats and sold more ad space. To me, it was just corporate greed “never letting a tragedy go to waste.” And that’s where uniform ad patches fall for me.

• Like 11
KISSwall09.jpg

There's a "sports logos" forum and a "Sports in general" forum.  

It's perfectly reasonable to lament ad creep in the 'sports logos' forum.  Any "you're not a fan" nonsense doesn't belong here.  Frankly, I'm not even sure if debating the financial aspect of it belongs in a forum dedicated to logos, uniforms, and general aesthetics, but I'm no mod.  

There's a lot of chest thumping going on here.  Also, FWIW I don't believe for one second that anyone that claims they're "stopping watching" is actually doing that.

• Like 16

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

20 minutes ago, BBTV said:

There's a "sports logos" forum and a "Sports in general" forum.  

It's perfectly reasonable to lament ad creep in the 'sports logos' forum.  Any "you're not a fan" nonsense doesn't belong here.  Frankly, I'm not even sure if debating the financial aspect of it belongs in a forum dedicated to logos, uniforms, and general aesthetics, but I'm no mod.  

There's a lot of chest thumping going on here.  Also, FWIW I don't believe for one second that anyone that claims they're "stopping watching" is actually doing that.

You’re right…for now. You’re right cause it’s the 21-22 thread, but if you venture to the nba or soccer threads, there are tons of posts on ads cause it changes the aesthetics of the uniform. I personally shouldn’t have gone off on the financial aspects, but things happen in threads until they eventually get back on topic…whenever a mod intervenes or people get sick of talking about the Jaguars and go back on topic.

KISSwall09.jpg

5 hours ago, kiwi_canadian said:

On TV or in the stands, they won't really be noticable. I remember going to a few Salmon Kings games back in Victoria when they were around and even right up on the boards, the Save-On-Foods patch was not noticable.

1 hour ago, Mr. Krabs said:

All I really hope is that the ads on the jerseys will not have serious color clashes on any of them.

It's definitely gonna be jarring and ugly when the Bruins use a kelly green TD patch, the Penguins a light blue PPG patch and the Leafs a red Scotia Bank patch. And even if they do miraculously use team colors, it will still be noticeable and look out of place. Let's not kid ourselves here

• Like 3