2021-22 NBA Changes

6 hours ago, QCS said:

When people talk about teams with identity crises, I don't think enough people mention the Cavs. They've got a trainwreck of a brand, with multiple eras of different colors and even nowadays with navy and black competing unnecessarily. That first picture with the 2000s LeBron era is fantastic, the Cavs never should've gone away from that.

1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I suppose I understand the reasoning for keeping black from a marketing standpoint, but it sure doesn’t look that good with wine. Cleveland would look so much better if they’d just simplify to wine, gold, and white.

Regarding Cleveland’s historical identity crisis, I’ve never really known what the “essential” Cavs identity is, and I don’t think the Cavs have ever really known either. They’ve seemed to chase after different identities thier whole existence, and to a detrimental fault. 

They’re in a weird spot in my head where they’re both relevant and irrelevant at the same time; relevant because of Lebron and a recent title, yet irrelevant because they suck again and I have no bearing on what thier brand or identity is or ever was. If I were ever hired to rebrand them, I honestly have no idea what I’d do with them nor would I trust the brand would last five years at this point. They’re perpetual shapeshifters and I just don’t understand how or why they insist on being such time and time again. 

2. Bucks

3. Nuggets

4. Rockets

5. Jazz

6. Nets

7. Hawks

When I think of the Cavs, I think of LeBron, of course. But when I think of historic Cavs, I think of the Cavs of my youth, which were these:

Pricey.jpg?fit=749,1002&ssl=1

Which, looking at them now for the first time in like 20 years, is pretty much the Knicks with different numbers. Sweet logo though.

The Cavs re-committed to wine and gold back in 2003, but they've included black in that combo in ways that routinely look terrible. That said, they've often fit black around wine and gold; should they design a new look that's fully incorporating black perhaps it'll look better. I doubt it, but perhaps nonetheless.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

11 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

Cavs got it right in 2003 and proceeded to screw it up after Lebron left for the Heat.

185-1854804_it-s-possibly-now-or-never-f

This will always look good even if they never won a title in these. (Won the East, though.) Main OKC jerseys so far almost always look from okay/tolerable to bad to horrible, despite them winning the West that one season.

54 minutes ago, MNtwins3 said:

That set was so stupidly clean and inoffensive, PLUS they won a title in it, and they decided to change it for some reason to the current monstrosities

To me, this set is the current Jacksonville Jaguars design in NBA form -- so, so boring. There's nothing to it.

• Like 7

On 3/17/2021 at 9:06 AM, Digby said:

And I hate to make anyone puke up their breakfast muffins today, but are we sure those mashup jerseys are going to be "City" or "Earned" or some other extra designation entirely?

Too late!

Top 30 Family Guy Puke GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

• Like 1

I like the wordmarks on the 2000s jerseys, but otherwise they should stay in that decade. 

Not an unpopular opinion: the Cavs need to choose between navy and black. Definitely an unpopular opinion: I'd go with black. Like it or not (believe me, I don't like it), the biggest moment in franchise history took place while they were wearing black, and it can keep playing the same role it does currently while also taking over navy's. And, on a pure aesthetic viewpoint, I prefer wine/gold/black to wine/gold/navy.

• Like 1

ExJworW.png

11 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

That set was so stupidly clean and inoffensive, PLUS they won a title in it, and they decided to change it for some reason to the current monstrosities

Actually, they won a title wearing these and this launched their whole effort in making black a thing. 

nba-finals-lebron-james-kyrie-irving-cle

• Like 6

Go A's!

11 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Let's remember some LeBron James

23_crop_exact.jpg?w=1500&h=1500&q=85

This. The perfect blend of past and present. Get a modernized logo and they should be set for the next 20 years.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Digby said:

Not worried about that, Oklahoma City have more brand elements to "mash up" in barely one decade than some of the original teams do in seven decades.

5 colors (light blue, navy, orange, yellow, white), the “sunset” subliminal pattern, and the indigenous-themed “OKC” from the 18-19 City could all make for a pretty nice uniform

6 hours ago, phutmasterflex said:

Actually, they won a title wearing these and this launched their whole effort in making black a thing. 

nba-finals-lebron-james-kyrie-irving-cle

I still can't believe that LeBron James' greatest championship was won while wearing those stupid sleeved jerseys. Such a shame to immortalize these instead of literally any of their other looks.

• Like 11

spacer.png

6 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

This. The perfect blend of past and present. Get a modernized logo and they should be set for the next 20 years.

Something like this...          *self-plug warning*

• Like 1