2021-22 NBA Changes

9 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Word is the Nets want a white version of their current city uniform next season. Yawn. There are no other Brooklyn artists to honor?

They're gonna be disappointed then, haha. Maybe 2022/23, i guess? I agree with the yawn, though. Give me something new for a Nets city uni, not a recolor.

• Like 7

18 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

The Knicks went 181-348* in the rest of their jerseys, so a losing record shouldn't deter them.

*As of 04/27/2021

At least they won something in other uniforms. 😉

Anyway all reports said that they ditched orange uni because of notorious losing.

• Like 1

4r2eer.png

4 hours ago, Conrad. said:

They're gonna be disappointed then, haha. Maybe 2022/23, i guess? I agree with the yawn, though. Give me something new for a Nets city uni, not a recolor.

Seems like most teams have been doing this. When you have to change the jersey every year, this is an easy way to kick the can down the road for a season.

5 hours ago, Conrad. said:

I know I've tooted this horn plenty of times, but I'll always maintain the position that the City edition and it's rotation of one year is bad for this reason exactly.

• Like 8

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

5 hours ago, pepis21 said:

At least they won something in other uniforms. 😉

Anyway all reports said that they ditched orange uni because of notorious losing.

Yea but when you are losing in all of your uniforms you have to thing maybe it’s the team that sucks and not wearing orange uniforms.

• Like 4

Speaking of the new Hornets' statements, I really hope it's simply a purple version of our current set (preferably with Charlotte on it, although Hornets would also be acceptable). I'm tired of having jerseys from three different sets and as long as it uses both purple and teal effectively it would be a good-looking jersey.

• Like 8

the user formerly known as cdclt

20 hours ago, QCS said:

Speaking of the new Hornets' statements, I really hope it's simply a purple version of our current set (preferably with Charlotte on it, although Hornets would also be acceptable). I'm tired of having jerseys from three different sets and as long as it uses both purple and teal effectively it would be a good-looking jersey.

Agreed... they have such a beautiful color scheme, and I remember fans - not just Charlotte fans, but pretty much all NBA fans - being so happy to see that classic purple and teal look again.

Then, just a few years later, what did we get... "BUZZ CITY."  "CHA."  Black jersey.  Mint jersey.  

I want exactly what you want, but that seems like reasonable request for like 15 years ago, not today.  Nike's strategy seems to be to ignore the simplest, most elegant solution and instead come up with weird ugly convoluted designs and colors ... and then have the team wear them too often.

• Like 7

How are you going to bring up the Ewing Theory and NOT link it to its originator, Bill Simmons? It's one of his greatest and lasting legacies!

https://grantland.com/features/the-ewing-theory/

What’s the Ewing Theory? Where did it come from?

The theory was created in the mid-’90s by Dave Cirilli, a friend of mine who was convinced that Patrick Ewing’s teams (both at Georgetown and with New York) inexplicably played better when Ewing was either injured or missing extended stretches because of foul trouble.

Curious to see if this phenomenon applied to other stars/teams, Dave noticed people were pencilling in the ’94-’95 UConn Huskies for a .500 season because “superstar” Donyell Marshall had departed for the NBA. Dave knew better; a lifelong UConn fan, he thought the Huskies relied too much on Marshall the previous season and could survive without him. Like Ali predicting the first Liston knockout, Dave told friends the Huskies would thrive in Marshall’s absence — and that’s exactly what happened. By midseason, UConn was ranked no. 1 in the country for the first time in school history; the Ewing Theory had been hatched.

Dave introduced me to the Ewing Theory three years ago, and we’ve been tinkering with it like Voltaire and Thoreau ever since. Eventually, we decided that two crucial elements needed to be in place for any situation to qualify for “Ewing” status:

• A star athlete receives an inordinate amount of media attention and fan interest, and yet his teams never win anything substantial with him (other than maybe some early-round playoff series).

• That same athlete leaves his team (either by injury, trade, graduation, free agency or retirement) — and both the media and fans immediately write off the team for the following season.

When those elements collide, you have the Ewing Theory.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 hours ago, pepis21 said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1195406-ny-knicks-franchise-doubly-cursed-by-patrick-ewing

They basically became to sucks and done irrational decisions (Allan Houston says hello!) after trading Ewing to Seattle.

This isn't a curse. The Knicks didn't win anything with Ewing and didn't win without him. It's like saying the Dolphins are cursed because of Dan Marino. 

The Curse of the Bambino existed because Boston won a title in 1918 before trading Ruth. 

The Ewing Theory is completely different than the "Ewing Curse" theory published in the Bleacher Report article. 

• Like 3

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

5 hours ago, WSU151 said:

This isn't a curse. The Knicks didn't win anything with Ewing and didn't win without him. It's like saying the Dolphins are cursed because of Dan Marino.

Didn't win but they were regulary  in playoffs and two times in finals. After trade they became a draft lottery team and later a meme team. That's the difference. We could called that also a "Dolan Curse" if you want.

4r2eer.png

27 minutes ago, Conrad. said:

^ looks like the Nike version of the Statements are for sale, which would make sense, since this is what they wear on the court now.

I guess the only follow up I have is it's odd the team store doesn't have Jordan/Jumpman Statements available for any player. My assumption is the purple jersey is the least popular of the choices

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 3/20/2021 at 1:12 AM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

23_crop_exact.jpg?w=1500&h=1500&q=85

On 3/20/2021 at 1:03 PM, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

This. The perfect blend of past and present. Get a modernized logo and they should be set for the next 20 years.

Cavaliers is a great nickname with some terrific design possibilities. Not sure why you'd want them wearing a generic wordmark that could be used by any team, especially when there's another team in the league literally called the Nets. Not to mention abbreviated nicknames on uniforms almost never works better than the full name.

Between them & the Sabres, what was it with sword-themed brands ditching anything that actually represented their name in the '90s. As a kid I never realized what a Cavalier actually was until the initial Lebron rebrand brought a sword back into the logo.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned these alternates, which might be my favourite Cavs uniforms of all time:

spacer.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Cavaliers is a great nickname with some terrific design possibilities. Not sure why you'd want them wearing a generic wordmark that could be used by any team, especially when there's another team in the league literally called the Nets. Not to mention abbreviated nicknames on uniforms almost never works better than the full name.

Between them & the Sabres, what was it with sword-themed brands ditching anything that actually represented their name in the '90s. As a kid I never realized what a Cavalier actually was until the initial Lebron rebrand brought a sword back into the logo.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned these alternates, which might be my favourite Cavs uniforms of all time:

spacer.png

Fair point, but for most of the Cavs history, they seemed more attached to color schemes (which they changed often) than the literal meaning of “Cavalier”. As  for the above picture, yeah, those are probably the best in Cavs history(that entire set is, tbh). But since the Cavs have changed so much, I think they need something that unites of of their past brand elements in an non-garish way.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Fair point, but for most of the Cavs history, they seemed more attached to color schemes (which they changed often) than the literal meaning of “Cavalier”. As  for the above picture, yeah, those are probably the best in Cavs history(that entire set is, tbh). But since the Cavs have changed so much, I think they need something that unites of of their past brand elements in an non-garish way.

If they United all of their previous elements it would look like a unicorn vomited and made a uniform out of it.

• Like 1