2021-22 NBA Changes

9 hours ago, Conrad. said:

^ looks like the Nike version of the Statements are for sale, which would make sense, since this is what they wear on the court now.

b89110668eb7f4c8e1ee46b7f4a65c13_crop_ex

Aren't statements allowed to change every two years? If so, how the Lakers have kept those awful black panels this long and what looks like at least one more year is baffling.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Cavaliers is a great nickname with some terrific design possibilities. Not sure why you'd want them wearing a generic wordmark that could be used by any team, especially when there's another team in the league literally called the Nets.

I definitely agree with you there... "hey look, we made the V look like a net" logos/uniforms were stupid.. I don't ever want to see those again.  The mid-late 90s logos/uniforms were pretty bad also... their identity was just the word CAVS with a ball going into a net.  

At least the Cavs seem to have realized this and have somewhat stuck with an actual cavalier theme/identity (and generally consistent color scheme) for nearly 20 years.  I give them a lot of credit for that.  With the exception of the black sleeved alternate, I actually think they've always looked really good since 2003, except for maybe CavFanatics and recent City jerseys (this year's suck).  Yes they've made some changes here and there but they've managed to keep the same general theme and look continuing for a long time now, so good for them.

• Like 3

On 5/6/2021 at 5:37 PM, WSU151 said:

Probably nothing, but one can hope...Lakers Team Store website (not a Fanatics experience) is selling purple swingmans for $70. 

https://lakersstore.com/collections/swingman-jerseys-1

I just hope it means that they are getting rid of those ugly purple jerseys with black stripes and not that they will be getting rid of Kuzma and LeBron.

14 hours ago, VikWings said:

Aren't statements allowed to change every two years? If so, how the Lakers have kept those awful black panels this long and what looks like at least one more year is baffling.

I don't understand it either. Out of all the teams I expect to screw up new uniforms, the Lakers weren't on that list and yet they went and did it. I don't hate the look, I hate the fact it's the only purple jersey the team has. It would be an okay alternate jersey or something but it can't be this. I would understand if it was the year 2001 and they did it, but they did this in 2018. All the teams in sports that have unnecessarily added black have  gotten rid of it by now (except the Reds for some reason) but the Lakers did the exact opposite, it doesn't make any sense.

• Like 5

bSLCtu2.png

I wonder if the NBA is going to do anything about the length of shorts. I've noticed a lot of younger players are rolling the waistband down - It's a really bad look since you can see the tag on the back... short shorts are back!

On 5/7/2021 at 4:28 PM, VikWings said:

Utah has had their yellow statement uniforms since the program started 

On 5/7/2021 at 8:20 PM, SCalderwood said:

I definitely agree with you there... "hey look, we made the V look like a net" logos/uniforms were stupid.. I don't ever want to see those again.  The mid-late 90s logos/uniforms were pretty bad also... their identity was just the word CAVS with a ball going into a net.  

At least the Cavs seem to have realized this and have somewhat stuck with an actual cavalier theme/identity (and generally consistent color scheme) for nearly 20 years.  I give them a lot of credit for that.  With the exception of the black sleeved alternate, I actually think they've always looked really good since 2003, except for maybe CavFanatics and recent City jerseys (this year's suck).  Yes they've made some changes here and there but they've managed to keep the same general theme and look continuing for a long time now, so good for them.

Agree but I'm still partial to the orange roads when they crept back into relevance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Haz_Matt said:

Utah has had their yellow statement uniforms since the program started 

I think they're allowed to change them every two years but aren't obliged to like the city jersey (I think Utah had to get permission to keep the red rock gradients for multiple years)

• Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 8:54 AM, Old School Fool said:

I don't understand it either. Out of all the teams I expect to screw up new uniforms, the Lakers weren't on that list and yet they went and did it. I don't hate the look, I hate the fact it's the only purple jersey the team has. It would be an okay alternate jersey or something but it can't be this. I would understand if it was the year 2001 and they did it, but they did this in 2018. All the teams in sports that have unnecessarily added black have  gotten rid of it by now (except the Reds for some reason) but the Lakers did the exact opposite, it doesn't make any sense.

I'll take what you said a step further.  I do hate the look.  I think it looks bad in a vacuum, and I think it looks bad in the context of their identity and history.  I don't think it would be okay as an alternate jersey, because if it was an alternate jersey, that would mean that they would have 2 purple jerseys where mainly the only difference is the side panel color, which to me would be even sillier than having the black side panels to begin with.

Having said all of that, I have to admit something.  I'm usually pretty anti-BFBS, but somewhat surprisingly (to myself), I found myself okay with the Lakers' black jerseys when they first came out.  I think I was okay with them because 1) They branded them as "Hollywood Nights" jerseys, so it felt somewhat purposeful and not just "let's add black to try to look cool," 2) They did not alter any of their other jerseys to incorporate more black than they already did or let black otherwise creep into their identity, 3) I don't recall them overwearing that jersey, and 4) I genuinely thought they looked pretty good - strictly as an occasional alternate.

Photo-shoot of the Hollywood Nights Jersey : lakers

• Like 9

^ I think it’s just a nice color scheme, and it’s always welcome when a team finds a way to omit white entirely because it’s unusual. That jersey was decent, but I’d say even better were the famed script jersey (that was never actually on-court) and even that Magic Johnson city jersey they had (could do without the pinstripes).

They can get away with it as long as there’s no white on the jersey, and that they remain the alternate-iest of alternate. Which the current purple jersey fails on both tests.

• Like 2

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

19 hours ago, SCalderwood said:

I'll take what you said a step further.  I do hate the look.  I think it looks bad in a vacuum, and I think it looks bad in the context of their identity and history.  I don't think it would be okay as an alternate jersey, because if it was an alternate jersey, that would mean that they would have 2 purple jerseys where mainly the only difference is the side panel color, which to me would be even sillier than having the black side panels to begin with.

Having said all of that, I have to admit something.  I'm usually pretty anti-BFBS, but somewhat surprisingly (to myself), I found myself okay with the Lakers' black jerseys when they first came out.  I think I was okay with them because 1) They branded them as "Hollywood Nights" jerseys, so it felt somewhat purposeful and not just "let's add black to try to look cool," 2) They did not alter any of their other jerseys to incorporate more black than they already did or let black otherwise creep into their identity, 3) I don't recall them overwearing that jersey, and 4) I genuinely thought they looked pretty good - strictly as an occasional alternate.

Photo-shoot of the Hollywood Nights Jersey : lakers

It's not just the side panel on the purple jersey, the side panel also makes the shoulder/neck piping different.

44 minutes ago, beast3 said:

I think the Lakers earned uniforms are charcoal and not black, which is probably why I prefer them to their previous black alternatives 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The current "black" jerseys are definitely not black. They are playing on tv right now and it's clear theyre some sort of charcoal/dark gray color.

2 hours ago, colortv said:

I will say, the gold jersey numbers on the purple jerseys are a definite upgrade over the white ones, look great on tv. This is what they should look like:

jerseys.jpg

la-lakers-2019-new-uniform-maybe-590x334

Love the tops, and I'm okay with the shorts on Conrad's concepts, too, but they do look like the style that the Celtics use.