2021-22 NBA Changes

On 3/19/2021 at 1:43 PM, FinsUp1214 said:

I suppose I understand the reasoning for keeping black from a marketing standpoint, but it sure doesn’t look that good with wine. Cleveland would look so much better if they’d just simplify to wine, gold, and white.

Regarding Cleveland’s historical identity crisis, I’ve never really known what the “essential” Cavs identity is, and I don’t think the Cavs have ever really known either. They’ve seemed to chase after different identities thier whole existence, and to a detrimental fault. 

They’re in a weird spot in my head where they’re both relevant and irrelevant at the same time; relevant because of Lebron and a recent title, yet irrelevant because they suck again and I have no bearing on what thier brand or identity is or ever was. If I were ever hired to rebrand them, I honestly have no idea what I’d do with them nor would I trust the brand would last five years at this point. They’re perpetual shapeshifters and I just don’t understand how or why they insist on being such time and time again. 

I don’t necessarily like it, but I think I get why they do it. At this point, I their legacy is settled as a team that’s never going to be a permanently relevant NBA franchise and also a team that’s going to be third fiddle in its own city for eternity. It’s the Pepsi mentality of trying to constantly reinvent yourself in an attempt keep your target audience younger and fresher, since there aren’t enough old fans around to make building a “forever” identity worth the effort. It’s just life for lots of small- and mid-market teams.

On 3/19/2021 at 10:07 PM, Ark said:

This is their best set:

usa-today-8638492.0.jpg

lebron-james-23-of-the-cleveland-cavalie

lebron-james-nba-playoffs-cleveland-cava

07153557891f78803f93c1bd4dbee60b.jpg

I think it needed the side panel on the shorts because it’s just so empty down there, but yes. These were nice. I wish the type was a little less bubbly, though.

• Like 7

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Apart from the nits to pick, that era was one of the best examples of multiple jerseys looking a part of a whole set. (Until the black t shirts came along.) Even the navy jersey fit in nicely despite using a different color.

Now we have a Cavs set that doesn’t have its color scheme sorted out, that has that awkward tribute to the championship t-shirts and even has a Cleveland Rocks look that may as well just be Steve Buscemi’s ROCK BAND shirt. I miss cohesion!

• Like 6

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 3/20/2021 at 9:43 PM, GoGreenGoWhite said:

IMO something about the white uniform doesn't look right when compared to the others in that set.

I guess I've always been of the opposite mind. The home whites were the best in the set IMO and the other jerseys, mainly the road wine, could use some white to make it pop more.

Still think the 03 font was the best they ever did. It's a shame they never tried to use it after going to the throwback colors, because I think it works. Can't find it now, but I thought for sure Kyrie has goggle straps in 2016 that were wine with a gold "Cavaliers" in the 03 script...

Love the classic "CAVS" logo too, but-

1) "Cavs" shouldn't be on a primary uniform.

2) The other attempts, like the old gold alt, do not work nearly as well as the old school mark.

• Like 2

My initial thought on the post-LeBron set is that they were dreadfully boring. But then I grew into their simplicity and grew to like them. And then, much like others, was dismayed by the black sleeved t-shirt.

The Cavs have been around for a while but have no defining look. Their current look is another post-LeBron design, but in contrast to the 2010-2017 set, LeBron isn't coming back this time and what they're wearing now will be forgotten forever. Kind of like the post-Shawn Kemp mini-redesign Darius Miles wore.

Even when I was a kid, I wondered why exactly the Cleveland Cavaliers existed. I knew of Mark Price and the Jordan shot, but they were otherwise kind of a nothing franchise. LeBron changed all of that -- twice! -- and I don't know their path to relevancy. I guess SexLand is one way, but are they good enough in a newly bolstered East? Hard to say.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I mean you never know — they might make a real leap, the Cavs could make a surprising run the way NYK and ATL (recently!) are this year, the Celtics and Heat windows might already have closed, maybe Kyrie retires abruptly or some other wacky thing happens in Brooklyn — their biggest problem is always going to be the ownership as classic example of entitled, meddling dork who can’t get out of his own way. Hopefully they have a new and better set whenever that optimism comes true!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Digby said:

I mean you never know — they might make a real leap, the Cavs could make a surprising run the way NYK and ATL (recently!) are this year, the Celtics and Heat windows might already have closed, maybe Kyrie retires abruptly or some other wacky thing happens in Brooklyn — their biggest problem is always going to be the ownership as classic example of entitled, meddling dork who can’t get out of his own way. Hopefully they have a new and better set whenever that optimism comes true!

The one good thing about Gilbert is that, unlike some historical owners in Cleveland, he was willing to spend out his ass for a championship. And he did! Everything else is as you say though, so not the best... Cavs rebuild has gone fairly well though. This season adding Allen was great and various injuries have kept us from building on the early season momentum we had. I'd like to think we could contend in a couple years with our core of young talent, but who knows.

22 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Their current look is another post-LeBron design

In a way we haven't actually had any "post-LeBron" designs (tho, at the time, 2010 was very much that). He came back and wore the 2010 set, and he was around when we switched to the current set. Maybe he'll do a quick retirement contract with us and get to wear next stupid jersey too!

• Like 1

On 3/20/2021 at 12:21 AM, MNtwins3 said:

That set was so stupidly clean and inoffensive, PLUS they won a title in it, and they decided to change it for some reason to the current monstrosities

That’s how I feel about it too, it’s inoffensive to a fault, but it’s clean enough that it didn’t distract from three straight finals runs including the iconic 2016 one. That’s why I don’t think it should have ever been changed, because those uniforms are Cleveland Cavaliers basketball to me. 

• Like 3

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

On 3/8/2021 at 1:25 PM, SportsLogos.Net News said:

2022 NBA All-Star Game Logo Unveiled

March 8, 2021 - 19:22 PM

Just hours after the NBA All-Star Game ended, the league began looking forward to its next game with the unveiling of the 2022 NBA All-Star Game logo. The game, at least for the moment, is scheduled to be held at the Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse in Cleveland, Ohio, home of the

Read More...

Im really appreciating the Midwest getting a turn at some hosting.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2021 at 11:07 AM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

My initial thought on the post-LeBron set is that they were dreadfully boring. But then I grew into their simplicity and grew to like them. And then, much like others, was dismayed by the black sleeved t-shirt.

The Cavs have been around for a while but have no defining look. Their current look is another post-LeBron design, but in contrast to the 2010-2017 set, LeBron isn't coming back this time and what they're wearing now will be forgotten forever. Kind of like the post-Shawn Kemp mini-redesign Darius Miles wore.

Even when I was a kid, I wondered why exactly the Cleveland Cavaliers existed. I knew of Mark Price and the Jordan shot, but they were otherwise kind of a nothing franchise. LeBron changed all of that -- twice! -- and I don't know their path to relevancy. I guess SexLand is one way, but are they good enough in a newly bolstered East? Hard to say.

Harsh but true lol

Considering the Cavs went to three straight Finals, including winning one of course in 2016, just what exactly was the rationale for redesigning the uniforms back in 2017-'18, anyway? I know it's not unprecedented in sports to sometimes change uniforms even when a team has just won a championship or two in them - sometimes it's because a redesign was already in the works and there wasn't much that could be done to reverse it at that point anyway - so I guess I need to assume that was the case with the Cavs? 

Otherwise, changing from the uniform you won a championship in 2016 with just 16 months later fails to make any sense on any level.

• Like 2

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Considering the Cavs went to three straight Finals, including winning one of course in 2016, just what exactly was the rationale for redesigning the uniforms back in 2017-'18, anyway? I know it's not unprecedented in sports to sometimes change uniforms even when a team has just won a championship or two in them - sometimes it's because a redesign was already in the works and there wasn't much that could be done to reverse it at that point anyway - so I guess I need to assume that was the case with the Cavs? 

Otherwise, changing from the uniform you won a championship in 2016 with just 16 months later fails to make any sense on any level.

Nike took over and Lebron is Nikes biggest athlete, possibly ever across all sports. 

• Like 6

I think some teams just aren’t interested in a timeless, never-change look, and are always planning to change it up every few years. 

also, even for all the uniform redesigns, it’s worth noting that the core elements of the Cavs brand — logos, colors — have stayed similar since they first drafted LeBron. That’s a significant thing, considering how they used to wholesale rebrand to cycle through all those looks. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, dont care said:

Nike took over and Lebron is Nikes biggest athlete, possibly ever across all sports. 

Exactly. They wanted one last year of LeBron merchandise sales. Can't blame them for the intent. Can blame them for the ugly ass uniforms that resulted.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Honestly, it was a weird mish-mash of eras, and I might be alone on this, but I feel the Cavs had something with their previous City jersey minus the whole "CLE" thing: 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I do like the wine & gold variants of the Price era too, but I think this might be the direction to go in, with Black replacing Navy (I'd prefer Navy over Black, but do think it'd look okay in Black). 

• Like 11

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

On 3/21/2021 at 12:20 PM, andrewharrington said:

I don’t necessarily like it, but I think I get why they do it. At this point, I their legacy is settled as a team that’s never going to be a permanently relevant NBA franchise and also a team that’s going to be third fiddle in its own city for eternity. It’s the Pepsi mentality of trying to constantly reinvent yourself in an attempt keep your target audience younger and fresher, since there aren’t enough old fans around to make building a “forever” identity worth the effort. It’s just life for lots of small- and mid-market teams.

I think it needed the side panel on the shorts because it’s just so empty down there, but yes. These were nice. I wish the type was a little less bubbly, though.

Great news for the Cavs : they're only second fiddle.  Baseball team is irrelevant regardless of rebrand.  Browns are all that matter and their grip will only get tighter.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chakfu said:

Great news for the Cavs : they're only second fiddle.  Baseball team is irrelevant regardless of rebrand.  Browns are all that matter and their grip will only get tighter.

I don’t think you can say that not being from the area. People actually from the area think differently. Cavs only mattered when they had Lebron and won the championship, now that he’s gone they are back to the bottom. Atleast the baseball team are always competitive 

3 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

Honestly, it was a weird mish-mash of eras, and I might be alone on this, but I feel the Cavs had something with their previous City jersey minus the whole "CLE" thing: 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I do like the wine & gold variants of the Price era too, but I think this might be the direction to go in, with Black replacing Navy (I'd prefer Navy over Black, but do think it'd look okay in Black). 

This would have been perfect to me if they swapped out the CLE for Cleveland.

• Like 1

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg